Author Topic: Coming Back to DW  (Read 1512 times)

You Look Like A Nail

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
Coming Back to DW
« on: March 01, 2020, 01:43:51 pm »
I stopped playing DW a little after my son was born.  Just got burned out on the faction inflation and ran out of time.  I haven't really played it since, mostly scratched that itch with x-wing and a little bit of warmahordes.  Recently my son (now 7) asked about all the painted ships I have and why I don't do anything with them and you know, good question.  So I started poking around again.

I knew that Warcradle had picked up the license but I missed out on everything since then.  Full credit to them for making a go of it, it isn't easy, but whoever their new game is for, it isn't me.  I'm not interested in replacing my large, fully painted fleets; if I was, the direction of their new models does nothing for me; and the rules changes they're looking at seem to be mostly tinkering around the edges.   

In a perfect world, what I'd want is a much better ruleset that works with the existing models.  Since that doesn't seem to be what 3.0 will be, I've been looking elsewhere.  2.5 is better than previous versions but still very unwieldy and clunky.  I started kicking around ideas for a ground-up rewrite but that's a lot of work for something nobody would use (not that that has ever stopped me before).  I'm also thinking about starting with 2.5 and seriously cleaning up parts of it, with a rewrite and some heavy editing it might get to a decent place.  I was hoping someone might have taken a run at that already but all I can find are some balance fixes to the 2.5 stuff.

So is anybody still playing and if so, what rules are you using? 

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Coming Back to DW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 05:54:28 am »
I've mostly just been writing fluff material and part of a group updating lists.  2.5 or 2.0 seems to be the way most people are playing, and the project work of rewriting 2.5  to a 2.75 seems to be low down people's interests since enthusiasm seems to be pretty limited.

CDR G

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:25:06 am »
Nail- good to see you back. I would really like to see 2.5 completed. Also taking a quick look at FA to see if there is anything in it worth keeping-the combat resolution changes did nothing for me- it certainly didn't speed it up and the results tables were out of wack. While the 2.5 tiny flier changes had some good ideas, but could be improved. Really wanted to see the national tailoring promised for generators and special weapons. Would enjoy discussing it and trying something out.

Sebenko

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:42:04 am »
I'd play if there was anyone near me to play with. Thought about trying to build up a local community, but doing that all over again starting from no-one and a dead game...

CDR G

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 11:24:10 am »
May I ask where you are?

Sebenko

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile