Author Topic: Revealed painted Warcradle British Battleship from a demo  (Read 2108 times)

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Revealed painted Warcradle British Battleship from a demo
« on: December 02, 2018, 11:38:29 am »

Its certainly different...

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: Revealed painted Warcradle British Battleship from a demo
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:21:04 pm »

Well, I say what we are all thinkg first - What is with that stern? Without the rudder, it would be a bit closer to the original design and even senseible; As it is though it's like the Nicki Minaj of warships.

Having said that, the general deatil and style of the ship is defienitely in keeping with a KoB style ship; the decoration is far more developed than even that of the last releases by Spartan, and I won't pass judegment as that's supposed to be a sellng point in all non-historical miniatures these days. Those turrets I just can't wrap my head around either . . .  however, if they keep up this style, I can see some specilaized hulls being useful and compatible with my current fleet.  7/10 for me.

( BTW have also seen the new FSA ships from this game on FB . . . Much better than the original renders, turrets are more like the originals, and apart from the "Third Wheel" on the heavy they look pretty nice ( Thank Uncle Dagon they turfed the 'cow catchers' . . . )

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 05:04:23 am »
  Is this the picture you were talking about covert?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 04:00:07 pm »
As an FSA player from the start, the new ship designs just aren't doing it for me. Guess I'm too set in my ways.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Semmes58

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
  • "Bring that gun into action , Sir!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:31:04 pm »
Landlubber,
 I would have to agree as a FSA player the new designs don't make me want to go get them. There's just to much ship above the water line.
The Brit battleship does fit into the KOB esthetic, but still a bit busy on deck for a warship.
Enough nit picking, the  presence of those particular dice indicate to me that there will be a proprietary die to be used in the new version. Will we be able to easily convert to regular 6 sided dice?

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 05:28:53 pm »
The system is a little odd, 1 = blank, 2 = light counter, 3 = heavy counter, 4 = light hit, 5 = heavy hit, 6 exploding hit.  This leads to some odd interactions, with defensive dice being 2 and 3, including gen operation, and a lack of to hits being + or - 1.  So things are done with the logic of these proprietary dice rather than the simplicity of dice rolling your classic d6s.  Not implausible, just lacking the logic.  I would prefer to do a simpler conversion here or elsewhere or discard the dice since while they look pretty they have complicated rules unnecessarily. 

As an old fashioned KoB player I found the model more jarring, although less so than previous versions.  The utilitarian FSA boats seemed more in fitting with the feel of DWars classic.  Either way, no matter how nice these models I would have preferred less of a gap between the ranges.

Semmes58

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
  • "Bring that gun into action , Sir!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 01:23:23 pm »
The system is a little odd, 1 = blank, 2 = light counter, 3 = heavy counter, 4 = light hit, 5 = heavy hit, 6 exploding hit.  This leads to some odd interactions, with defensive dice being 2 and 3, including gen operation, and a lack of to hits being + or - 1.  So things are done with the logic of these proprietary dice rather than the simplicity of dice rolling your classic d6s.  Not implausible, just lacking the logic.  I would prefer to do a simpler conversion here or elsewhere or discard the dice since while they look pretty they have complicated rules unnecessarily. 

As an old fashioned KoB player I found the model more jarring, although less so than previous versions.  The utilitarian FSA boats seemed more in fitting with the feel of DWars classic.  Either way, no matter how nice these models I would have preferred less of a gap between the ranges.

My simplification of this is hits on 4,5and 6 with 6 counts as two hits and a reroll. Defensive would be 5 and 6 NO exploding dice. Pretty much the original mechanic just a new "coat of paint".

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:15:29 pm »
Defensive dice are now blue sixes in the old Spartan Parlance, two hits but not exploding on a six.  The weirdness comes from needing to reroll ones rather 3+ to hit and other rules shenanigans that would be much easier with +1 to hit.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 11:18:02 am »
  American battleship from Warcradle's christmas video