Author Topic: Calm seas - What is everyone doing?  (Read 2381 times)

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Calm seas - What is everyone doing?
« on: June 29, 2018, 08:41:09 pm »

The whole DW world looks very quiet at the moment. Warcradle talked about beat testing by "midsummer" and possible re-releases of minis with that or at least "soon", but as I'm currently experiencing a wintery chill these days ( I'm literally scraping ice sheets off my windscreen when I'm going to work at Oh Dark Seven lately, and thank you, yes I am back in employment at present :) ), my doubts are rising :/

Be that as it may I am still working away on the game. How is that, you may ask? Oh, you did ask. Well, let's see -

1. Still tracking down some second hand items for my fleets. My Russian Coalition has recently been expanded with an Azov and I'm in the process  of completing the Strike Flotilla. I may have to give up on Cheny submarines until/unless they are part of the Warcradle 'classic' release. My Britannians now have full submarine forces ( Cheers to Markymark in large part for that ), and I have a good sized force of destroyers and can field the Majesty-led flotilla if I choose while supporting it with either of the aerial fleets. Australians are complete but will get and addition or two ( See below :) ), Covenant of Antarctica ( Dammit!!) pretty much complete, though I'd love a Praxilla squadron of course. I even bit the bullet, seeing how the Honorable Eclipse Company sea units ( Including lovely little references to a Gerry Anderson 'Soak Opera' of years gone :D ) were sitting on shelves and made a grab for their air units when a set came up on eBay. Figure they'll assist my Black Wolves, and will be most useful in a putative campaign I am pondering ( See below)

2. Been incredibly lucky with terrain - Someone gathered all the Sturginium Rigs that the few successful KS people who became disgruntled afterwards ( Enjoy your good fortune, I'd have said :/ ) and put them up for sale on FB at reasonable rates, so I have one; Blimey, it's an impressive piece of resin, let me tell you! As is the Baltic Sea Fortress, another lucky score - the detail on that is daunting to someone with my poor painting abilities, and given the size and sheer scope of this alone, the fact that Spartan offered TWO for the KS price is either impressive, generous or a gross over-extension. choose whatever you like here.

3. And is it getting used, this terrain, you ask? Sure is - my toys work for a living! :D A local group of about half a dozen keen players are meeting weekly at the FLGS and while there are distractions ( Notably KoW and WoK :o) these have been regular and mostly solid games of simple "Search and sweep" operations in the islands south-west of the Asian coast. My next idea is a campaign based on the real-life piracy in the Arafura Sea, involving those tribesmen of renown the Bugi who were so troublesome to the Dutch, the historical EIMC and even today make the area the second most pirated waters on the globe. If I can find a League of Crimson fleet that someone has tired of ( HAH! ) at a fair price ( Again HAH! ) the twist that Bugi are being recruited by the ne'er-do-wells of that nefarious organization. . . . ( Yes, a LoC force coming on the market these days is a long shot, but it could happen - I've installed an instrument landing system for monkeys on my kidneys just in case :) )

4. Speaking of coming on the market, I'm not dependent upon that entirely; I have three scratch building and conversion projects under way as we speak. In order, they are-
 a) From spare Tambov hulls and some casts from other RC vessels, I am working on a hybrid support cruiser tentatively named the Makharov Class - Retains the forward lower turret, and adds a light mortar to the upper weapons deck. The thinking is, it can act as leader to a small unit of Novgorods or Nikels, or act in a squadron as support for non-bombardment ships to take advantage of bunched enemy formations.
 b) A slightly heavier Australian/NZ warship, possibly battleship sized, based on one of Brigade Model's new British aeronefs, the Albert or Victoria; I'm still to decide which one to choose, as one offers the chance to depict the carrying of two Crocodile subs, the other will concentrate upon guns.
 c) Again for Down Under, a large carrier, similar in performance to the assault carrier of the Raj, but with a generator like that of the monitors as well as a bombard. Suggestions have been made to make it a hideaway generator , though I'm not sure how I can achieve that with my base materiel ( I scored as part of a job lot a Brunel Class mobile carrier with damaged track units - cutting them off gives me a good start on a hull that strongly resembles that of the original Aussie/Kiwi vessels, so more than half the job is done. ;) ) plenty of second-hand Brunels out there so it might inspire others as well.

So, that's what I'm doing with a game I love and support, in case anyone tells you that some  of us are just criticizing and doing nothing constructive. I'd love to hear what others are doing as well - might even trade ideas! :)

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: Calm seas - What is everyone doing?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 06:54:09 pm »
All is in dry dock
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 03:18:54 pm »
With all the GW stuff back on my plate and GW doing things right (for now), that's been my focus this year so far (Bloodbowl, Shadespire, 40K, Age of Sigmar, and Necromunda all)

Star Wars Armada got enough traction with me for a buy-in, but not enough local play happening to keep me focused on it.

I was excited for Star Trek Attack Wing changes, but they seem to have minimal local footprint, no promotion, and totally uncertain release schedule. I.e. it seem like WK is fumbling the ball yet again.

All the former Spartan stuff seem at a standstill right now.

The friend I got into Firestorm and Planetfall just before Spartan's crash, well now he just wants to unload his stuff (all Dinz).
If someone made me an offer, I'd be tempted to unload as well, as emotionally I feel pretty well checked out. But mentally, its all just in drydock (to borrow Fracas' term). I'll wait and see what Gencon, and fall, and end of year brings.
If its all just vaporware by then, or otherwise disappointing, then local and online auctions beckon.

"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

warbird

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 03:44:57 pm »
I am in "wait and see" mode.  I have a good sized collection and am barely getting started with my painting.  It takes me a long time to paint and I have so little time.  Of course, if I find a bargain, I will go ahead get it.  I just found a good RoF set for cheap and bought it and hope it arrives as promised. ;)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 05:43:03 pm »
Pretty much all of my modeling and (tabletop) gaming time the last few months has gone towards Dystopian Wars! The rest of my Spartan stuff is pretty much on hold right now, but that is really more of a product of me not having a lot of gaming time, and having a local opponent who is into playing DW as much as I am at the moment.

@Dale: I hear what you are saying regarding GW. If it wasn't for the fact that I was lucking enough to encounter a local gamer here in Norfolk that's also a fan of DW, I'd probably be doing all my gaming in 40k 8th right now!

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 02:58:53 pm »
I have a good sized collection and am barely getting started with my painting.  It takes me a long time to paint and I have so little time.  Of course, if I find a bargain, I will go ahead get it.  I just found a good RoF set for cheap and bought it and hope it arrives as promised. ;)

Yes, I hear that loud and clear.
 Good fortune on the RoF force - For myself, I just took possession of a complete Black Wolf force that's been waiting to get to me for some months, and now all I need is time to paint it up ( Well, that and clear weather :) )
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:38:57 am by Covertwalrus »

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 04:39:33 am »

The waiting may be over for some of us, at least for the moment - https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/1940-pre-orders#/game_system-dystopian_wars

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 11:39:26 am »
Minis but no actual new rules or box set?
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 08:21:16 pm »
Minis but no actual new rules or box set?

Well, given that 2.5 are freely available on the Warcradle website, and a lot of people would be looking for these to complete existing fleets, I don't feel those are entirely necessary at this stage. Though if they could have released older box sets, that would have been marvelous, however, we have already heard a slew of reasons why that wasn't practical for Warcradle at this stage.

It does fulfill a desire expressed by so many players, that the Spartan models be made available as far as practically possible ( And I for one have put in for the Chanys which I missed out on before ). As for new rules, that will take a lot longer time to produce so I'm not holding my breath.