Poll

Do you prefer gridded maps/boards for your miniatures games?

Yes! Grids are best!
0 (0%)
It depends...grids are good for some games, but not for others.
7 (70%)
No, grids of squares or hexes are too limiting.
3 (30%)
Other (please explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 05, 2018, 03:51:31 pm

Author Topic: MBS Monthly Poll #24: To hex or not to hex?  (Read 1795 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
MBS Monthly Poll #24: To hex or not to hex?
« on: May 06, 2018, 03:51:31 pm »
This month's poll is all about movement systems! A lot of naval miniatures games do not use grids of squares or hexes, but some do (like Axis & Allies War at Sea, A Call To Arms, and others). What is your preference? Do you like the certainty of knowing exactly where ships are in relation to each other, or do you prefer the more free-form movement of games like Dystopian Wars?

Vote and let us know! Your responses will be discussed on Episode 31 of the MBS podcast.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Monthly Poll #24: To hex or not to hex?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 12:15:18 pm »
I only like the grids/hexes for strategic levels maps, where measuring makes no sense.

Perhaps for very busy fleet actions, if only to speed movement - but even there, I'd prefer the HALO FB solution of more ships on one base.

Now if the addition of a hex grid could make a proper 3D Newtonian space combat game work in three dimensions AND still be fast and fun, I'm all for it. Haven't seen that nut cracked yet.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

KazadHarri

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 02:36:23 pm »
Maybe for campaign movement or grand tactical.  But NEVER when ships are on the table.  If you want to use hexes or a grid, play a board game.

Jack Brown

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 11:36:47 pm »
The biggest utility of a hex map is space. You don’t get the visual impact of minis with counters on a map, but a map is quite often much easier to find the space for.

I may be biased that way by starting wargaming with Victory in the Pacific a long time ago. I had never played a minis game until encountering Seekrieg IV in college.

Jack Brown

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 11:39:26 pm »
Now if the addition of a hex grid could make a proper 3D Newtonian space combat game work in three dimensions AND still be fast and fun, I'm all for it. Haven't seen that nut cracked yet.

Take a look at Squadron Strike from Ad Astra Games. You get to design ships and choose the level of physics you want to use.

erloas

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 07:52:14 pm »
I wouldn't call them good or bad in general.  Even in digital games where precession and speed are not an issue I've still found  grids to have their place.
I think there are some games that could be moved between grid and not-grid without too much of a change.  There are a lot of games that act like precession is a big deal but when it comes down to it 95% of it makes almost no difference and the last 5% gets finicky and the point where arguments between gamers comes from.

I think the biggest point where it doesn't work is when there are large differences between the units fielded.  A system where several units would need to essentially be on different grids/systems.

voidstarsinger

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 12:56:29 pm »
ok lets start with me say i do prefer no hex's , however there are games that they work well with and if the rules and game make good use of them then fine and they work best at campaign movement or grand tactical level
take this ship to where the fire is at its heaviest  that where we can make a difference

Klingsor

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:39:33 pm »
I have mixed feelings about hexes, they make everything simpler; movement, ranges and firing arcs but they are also limiting and sometimes being able to count the range may be a bad thing. However by controlling movement they mean you can do away with movement gauges albeit at the cost of artificially limiting movement.
Having just typed all that I think I have made up my mind, hexes are great. Not perfect but their advantages far outweigh their disadvantages.
The first hex game I played was probably GDW's Traveller based game Mayday which managed a fair approximation of vector movement as well, I don't think any of their later games matched that simple gem.
Does anyone else remember Star Warriors? I think it was hex based as well, a star fighter combat game that tied in with West End Games Star Wars RPG.

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 04:48:49 pm »
I actually see Hex and Grids as a barrier to entry. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing