Author Topic: Perspectives on progress  (Read 726 times)

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
Perspectives on progress
« on: September 01, 2023, 08:45:05 pm »
Yesterday I put the final touches on my 300th model, a token holder for Armada, and I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Instead of stacking damages and speed tokens on ship cards, I find it easier to have them next to each base.  However, keeping individual markers lined up with their ships can be difficult when those ships are colliding with each other, and I wanted a solution to corral them in one place.  The most used tokens are double sided, so adding an angle to the speed location was a must, and I have a slight bevel in each damage recess to make it easier to remove and replace them.  I will probably print out more that are color coded for multiple players after a test run or two to see if play is sped up enough to warrant it.

But the main thing that has been on my mind for the past week or two was not this model, or really any other one in particular, but the whole of my modeling progression.  I have kept records of everything since starting the hobby again, and knew that I was closing in this milestone of 300 models, but is it really a milestone?  Is progress quantifiable… is counting even important?

I would say that it is, but with full notebooks and spreadsheets, I can recognize a slight bias.  For anyone who may be considering sinking into the unending spiral of recordage though, I would say three things need to be considered: accuracy of the count, consistency of the count, and usefulness of the count.

On accuracy, counting is meaningless unless everything is counted.  I really started to record print information in detail after some initial issues with my first 3D printer, as I wanted to know what I should expect the actual life of the replacement parts to be, and with that, the overall lifetime cost of the printer.  It took some effort, but I did work back through all of the print jobs and results to get to a total of 305 printed projects with a margin of error of +/- 2 including the final failed print which retired that printer.  Modeling records were an easier task as all of the stl files were on the hard drive, which is where model #300 comes from and this topic.

On consistency, counting is meaningless unless everything is counted in the same way.  I would say I have a system on counting models in particular, but unlike painting or printing, it does not have an easily discernable physical output.  The first ship I designed for my Clone Wars project was the Lucrehulk, 7 different component models, counted as 7; which I later rescaled requiring 9 different component models, counted as 7; while the final version of the Lucrehulk painted and posted incorporated 6 additional models more, counted as 4.  Meanwhile, last week I finished a set of transports with 4 different silhouettes, of which 3 also had alternate surface detail layouts, which I only counted as 1 model given that all of them were designed at the same time in a single evening.  All in all, and my method is honestly not really definable.

On usefulness, counting is meaningless unless it has meaning.  Maybe not the best way of stating that, but looking at my count of 300, what does that really represent?  It is not miniatures modeled, since a good number of my miniatures either require multiple pieces modeled and printed separately, or I have split them for greater variety after assembly.  It is not miniatures or models printed, since I cancelled several before even exporting them to the slicing software.  And it is especially not miniatures painted, as almost everything I paint is in multiples, and to date, only 45 miniatures have been painted of the 218 I printed in that first year.  Looking back through the list I can see that year over year I have increased the amount of different miniature results possible out of any single model file, but I doubt anyone else would be able to glean anything out of these records.

Overall, I would say that given the three goals of a meaningful count as a measure of progression, I am at a clear win, loss, and draw, and so solidly neutral on whether my recordkeeping is showing quantifiable progress in the 3D modeling hobby.  But then again, keeping up lists and looking back through prior years has been an enjoyable micro-hobby so far.  (200)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:49:46 pm by Kelly »
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
Re: Perspectives on progress
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 11:55:17 am »
As we say in the business world, "That which is measured, gets moved."

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 03:33:28 pm »
Impressive looking token holders, I must say.

As for your analysis of your progress, I feel there is a parameter you might have missed.; How often does your collection get utilized for one of its purposes, or in blunt terms, how frequently do you play?.

Having limited resources, including space, I have a personal rule; For my forces, any army/fleet that I do not use at least once a year gets moved to a list for disposal - Usually sale, sometimes gifting to other keen players.  Pragmatically, this makes more space available, and b can bring in funds to allow me to explore new options ( Read; Buy new toys for a new game or update previous forces.  8) ). In practice, this also keeps me flexible as I make a regular shift from force to force, rules to rules and play style to play style, so I keep mentally fresh.

That works for me, though might not work for anyone else. I confess I admire your approach here, though.

Kelly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 06:35:06 pm »
After modeling, the next hobby step in the miniature process is printing / production, and I also have an overabundance of notes on prints.  Beside the basic number of prints I also recorded the slicing details on each, which as they came directly from the slicing softwares, those counts cover the considerations of accuracy and consistency.

As far as usefulness though, I would say the main reason to keep print records is to judge how efficiently a printer is being used.  Each job sent to the printer is wearing out the lcd mask, motors, and UV sources by increments, so there is an upper limit to any machine’s output, but maximizing the pieces included in any job is the best way to get the most value out of the printer.  I have been holding off on printing tests until I can mostly fill the build plate, and was glad to see that my average volume printed by job (mL / layers) has increased by 68% over the years so I am getting as much use out of this printer as I could reasonably expect.  The main increase in volume has come from combining different miniatures from different projects with the spaces in between larger ships being filled with 15mm infantry or tokens.

For the printing again, I am strictly looking at quantitative counts in place of qualitative as the first few prints are generally enough to determine the best settings, and my overall goal is full tables whether those tables are black space, blue seas, or green grass.

Kelly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 06:41:39 pm »
As we say in the business world, "That which is measured, gets moved."
Moving is exactly what I am looking for, self-imposed deadlines for faster turnaround is the only chance I have of ever finishing up projects...

As for your analysis of your progress, I feel there is a parameter you might have missed.; How often does your collection get utilized for one of its purposes, or in blunt terms, how frequently do you play?.
Frequently and play have never been in the same sentence as far my hobby goes unfortunately, but then again if I was able to play every week (or month :() I would never have had the time to have made a fraction of these, so honestly I do not know what I would prioritize if I was starting all over again with a new schedule...

Having limited resources, including space, I have a personal rule; For my forces, any army/fleet that I do not use at least once a year gets moved to a list for disposal -
For releasing miniatures back into the wild, I am on the 15 year plan, and so far that has only been for mint in box items and I honestly do not know if I could part with anything that had finally made it through the painting gauntlet.

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 12:53:52 pm »
A lot of people recommend moving things if it doesn't get used in a year but I recall a time in my life where that maxim would have left me without any wargaming models!  There was a period of time where I didn't get to play much, had no money, and had most of my stuff painted.  This led to me goofing around with papercrafting, sculpting, and rules writing. 

Now, because of those lean times I have found that I still have a taste for DIY wargaming, cheap and easy being a big preference over glamor.  I also never get rid of anything, because I WILL find a use for it. 

Often times that is what motivates me to write new rules.  I have some stuff I want to hit the table with.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing