Author Topic: Planetfall Aerial helixes - Sept ORBATS  (Read 1208 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Planetfall Aerial helixes - Sept ORBATS
« on: September 01, 2015, 12:15:25 pm »
First impressions:

-- Most seem to be designed solely around hunting other Aerials, but I've seen ground units that do that plenty fine as is!

-- The Helix-Building Entry seems to say each Aerial may be taken as Ground Attack or Inteceptor, but then all the Aerials have "Aerial Assault" only, and nothing for hitting ground forces specifically.

-- Some factions (Relthoza, Dindrenzi) get their first Artillery units. But are they really worth it? I'd rather keep the Ba'Kash aerials in my build for their Ground attack capabilities than switch to the Relth Aerials...

-- Directorate have an aerial Cyberweapon... but its confusing how it links with the second Interceptor-only weapon.

-- Sorylians get some fast attack options good for ground or air that they aren't really supplied with by the Veydreth Allied Helix. They're one of the few where I'd outrigh prefer their Aerial to the Allied Helix.

I'm guessing these will have a second upload by the weekend to fix things. And I haven't noticed yet if other things changed. But overall, I feel little need to rush out for them. When I'm ready to build Directorate, I *will* choose their Aerial and Recon over the Works Raptor helix...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:40:39 pm by dalekunz »
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: Planetfall Aerial helixes - Sept ORBATS
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 04:03:02 pm »
Looks like there are changes to all the Leviathans too, even if just Points values.

-- Dindrenzi one got better. But IIRC, it seems the Nyx got nerfed a bit.

-- Relthoza stuff went up in cost. I think the utility of Stealth is starting to be felt.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 07:44:16 pm »
Thanks for the summary! It does seem odd that none of the Flyers are particularly ground-attack heavy at the moment.

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 11:40:50 am »
The Aquans got some great boosts.  The Lev is harder hitting and more survivable, we got shield increases on many units, and the Sirsir support tank now has Target Lock!  The fliers look fun too.  The Aquan fliers all have Sky Drop and the big one has Crystal Formation, with a special rule that makes all friendly fire at it count as Placed, so it's easier to hit when going for the laser bounce.  Given that fliers have no LoS restrictions, that has the potential for all kinds of shenanigans!

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:14:29 pm »
The Flying Votari crystal will be target #1

Also, I did find the spot (in Flank/Rear shooting) where it specififes that Flyers never suffer those penalties. Except now against other Dogfighters. So learned a new rule and how to bypass it all in one day...

Now if only they'd make Flyers immune to CQB unless they initiate it, Flyers would feel complete.

Oh, and they still need to clarify what this means in every ORBAT:
"An Aerial Helix chosen by a Battle Group may be either Ground Attack or Interceptor"

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 12:45:34 pm »
I think that relates to whether the flier has Dogfight or Ground Assault.  Scanning through the lists, anything listed as Interceptor has Dogfight but not Ground Attack.  Note, some things that aren't called Interceptor also have Dogfight, but nothing has both Dogfight and Ground Attack.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 12:19:41 am »
It is great that our Levy got a +1 increase in DR in the Third and Fourth damage areas. Also our Nexus designator has finally given us Target lock for the Levy, so if I get it off you have 16 + dice with Pinpoint 1 mar hitting on 3's with kinetic. That means I might be able to damage that damn Rel levy twice in one hit.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 12:15:01 pm »
Many on the Spartan forums are now complaing Relth are OP, but I'd like to see more games. I have often felt the games I've played have hinged on a knife edge, and there are many tactics to counter Infantry drops, whether Relth or Dinz.

What is sad is that these flyers didn't add more Anti-infantry to most arsenals. But they do allow a good counter for other anti-infantry, like my own Ba'ksh flyers.

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 01:11:50 pm »
dale I think it has to do with the fact that you have so much more infantry, have alot of anti-infantry abilities and on top of that have stealth on most of your big units. So I have to attempt to kill your infantry which is hard for dindrenzi without their nyx, and that my nyx have to drop and be in the open means they rarely live past the round they come in as you have more squadrons and hold your anti-infanty activations till after my drops.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 02:16:37 pm »
That's why the new Flyers are very good for Dindrenzi! To shoot down my crap. :-)

Maybe we need some swap matches - build our normal force, then trade for the game.