Author Topic: Firestorm Armada 2.0  (Read 5251 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Firestorm Armada 2.0
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:46:58 pm »
Just finished listening to the D6G review of the new edition of Firestorm, and it's got me really excited to try it out! I know a few of you have gotten the new rules already, what do you think?

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: Firestorm Armada 2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:12:17 pm »
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:40:26 pm »
Welcome back Stateside, Ruckdog!

I am really excited by the FSA2.0 rules myself - enough to have ordered them and started an Alliance of Kurak fleet.  I'll have my first go at it on February 9th! 

My favorite things in the new edition are probably the hardpoint/upgrade options for ships and squadrons, and the variance between different types of weapon system.  I could see a lot of the 2.0 rule innovations making their way into DW and UCS, possibly....

Do you have a Firestorm fleet? 

(PS My Sorylians so far:
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/firestorm-armada-sorylian-battlestation-and-frigates/ )
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:06:49 am »
Well the balance between the fleets is a lot closer then in previous editions despite the bits we missed (Aquans with indestructible SRS, unmanned smalls that are immune to cyber attacks, etc). There have already been discussions to FAQ the few problems that have popped up.

The new weapon types add some great individuality to the fleets and entirely new tactical flexibility with their coherency effects and increased ranges. Indirect weapons (torpedoes and such) are greatly improved with excellent ranges and the ability to shoot through terrain unimpeded. Mines have also received an increase in effectiveness due to their new ability to link.

Boarding and wings (SRS) have both been streamlined. Boarding is much less all or nothing and yet can still be a valuable tool either through their ability to target specific systems or capturing properly prepared ships for bonus battle log points. SRS all have valid purposes now instead of just being bombers, interceptors, and the other stuff no one takes.

Game setup is pretty self explanatory and quick. The new scenarios are pretty fun and the bonus objective set adds some cool randomness (or they will when theyre released, spoilers... ;))

All in all Ive been pretty pleased with it so far :)
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:40:17 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm definitely going to have to get a copy of these rules now ;).

Welcome back Stateside, Ruckdog!

I am really excited by the FSA2.0 rules myself - enough to have ordered them and started an Alliance of Kurak fleet.  I'll have my first go at it on February 9th! 

My favorite things in the new edition are probably the hardpoint/upgrade options for ships and squadrons, and the variance between different types of weapon system.  I could see a lot of the 2.0 rule innovations making their way into DW and UCS, possibly....

Do you have a Firestorm fleet? 

(PS My Sorylians so far:
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/firestorm-armada-sorylian-battlestation-and-frigates/ )

I actually have 3 Firestorm fleets; Terran, Sorylian, and Directorate. They are all the older version 1 models:

I have the box set and the carrier for each of the 3 factions painted up, but I haven't painted a new ship in a while. I do have a few of the new models stashed away somewhere though. Might have to pull them out if version 2.0 takes off ;).

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 09:18:10 pm »
Going to start with Aquans (old models before they go bye bye) and Relthoza (new models are even better)
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:44:15 pm »
Ya Im working on getting my Directorate finished then I have some Aquan ships for my son and hopefully we can get to work on the Marauders soon so I can get my Oroshan going.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »
It's funny, my directorate have never seen action! I finished them up just as DW hit, at which point Firestorm lost all momentum. I'm kind of torn as to which fleet to start up again. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Directorate, but the Terrans are a close second. 

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 01:21:16 pm »
Go Terran because the two fleet starter set is a nice deal

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 06:50:23 pm »
Go Terran because the two fleet starter set is a nice deal

You know, I had the exact same thought! The start box has some very nice stuff inside. I was thinking of getting one regardless, to show support for the idea. This set looks to be just as good a deal as the old BFG box sets were (which were awesome too!).

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:04:29 pm »
The set is good from $ wise as well as
A station, 2 BBs and 2 frigate squadrons not currently available elsewhere!

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 12:39:59 am »
So the errata has been out for a bit now. Has anyone else had a chance to blow up some space ships lately?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 07:13:12 am »
Not yet, on my end anyway. I finally manage to get a copy of the new book only yesterday! It looks petty good so far. I plan on trying to get a review posted on the blog later this week.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:24:30 pm »
Good stuff, the new version has been a lot of fun so far. It looks like we're getting closer to the Marauders beta being complete too which will have everything up to date. Once that's done hopefully we can get the Planetfall beta rolling, its a bit out of the wheelhouse here but looks pretty promising with campaign tie ins to Armada.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 11:06:43 pm »
So Planetfall is the ground component for Firestorm, right?  And it's 15mm?  I thought that was out already...guess it's just been in development for awhile.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama