Author Topic: How hard are Dindrenzi to play?  (Read 2662 times)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
How hard are Dindrenzi to play?
« on: October 10, 2016, 05:02:02 pm »
It turns out more than a third of the players in my area are aquans, so I have decided to go with a different fleet.  I'm leaning towards Terrans at the moment, but I really like the look of the Dindrenzi.  So I'm wondering how hard are Dindrenzi to play for a beginner?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: How hard are Dindrenzi to play?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 05:28:11 pm »
They seem and start off as very simple - point and shoot! Loads of attack dice and tough looking stats. Problem is, without Shields they're actually quite fragile. And their firepower bleeds off fast as they take damage.

They can get quite tricky to time the range right, and when you go in for the gun deck shots, and try to pass the enemy.
That pass is the hard part to learn. Some scenarios/terrain may let you sit back at Max range and trade fire. But usually Terrans can hide out of direct LOS with their Torpedoes and win that fire exchange. So moving into optimal firing position is inevitable.
Consequently, there'll come a time when your line and their lines have to cross. And that's where you have to know how to deploy your mines. Mines are *essential* in the pass, because its going to be VERY tough to turn enough to bring those railguns back into play.

So if you're learning with other beginners, Dindrenzi have a decent learning curve you can deal with. If you're playing mostly veterans, you might lose a LOT before you find your footing.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 07:15:40 pm »
Hopefully Ryjak can jump in with some pointers. He seems to be an expert on Dindrenzi.
From my experiences playing against them I think Dale has their general character. They are good for new players in that they have generous firepower from range to close. However, with canny opponents who take advantage of their weaknesses I think they can turn south quickly.
I do have to disagree with Dale on one point though. I think they are a decently survivable fleet. Yes they don't have shields, no shields don't mean squat if they don't roll hot though. The Dindrenzi, especially their Tier 1s, have higher then average CR values. Coupled with higher then average HP values and you have ships that will stick around for the long haul and can be a pain in the butt to shift from a position. Their cruisers tend to fall apart quickly but I would say the rest of the fleet list is very solid.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 05:25:59 am »
Their cruisers tend to fall apart quickly but I would say the rest of the fleet list is very solid.

That can be said about pretty much any cruiser in the game, though ;). Cruisers tend to be a squishy bunch, but Dindrenzi cruisers are not the worst of the lot IMO.

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:56:49 am »

That can be said about pretty much any cruiser in the game, though ;). Cruisers tend to be a squishy bunch, but Dindrenzi cruisers are not the worst of the lot IMO.

Well noted Ruckdog. Everything except those damn Aquan's...

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 05:37:24 pm »
Dindrenzi seem pretty easy to start; point and shoot, but there is a lot more to the fleet.  Dindrenzi don't have more firepower than other factions, but they can potentially use that firepower FIRST.  I've had games where my opponent's played into my hands, and I was able to systematically destroy their fleet with few losses.  I've also had games where my opponent out-maneuvered me, effectively blocked shots with terrain, and tore me to pieces with a ton of weak shots (Aquans are particularly adept at this).

I can sum up the Dindrenzi play style with a simple motto:  Strike Hard, Strike Fast, GTFO!

Basically, you want to be shooting stuff with your Rail Cannons Turn 1.  Compared to everyone else, Dindrenzi can cause damage from 48" away, and it's important to inflict this damage.  It's also important to keep this distance open for as long as possible, and to not rush to that juicy RB2 at 24".  Ideally, your entire fleet will be able to hit RB2 on your terms, on your turn.

Once you have gotten that 24" shot off, it's time to think about starting a Fold Space escape.  While you might be able to get a second RB2 shot off with a squadron, it also puts you in range of their best weapon ranges, and with stock DR and no special defenses, your ships can very quickly evaporate.  I'm still learning when is the right time to leave.  Basically, if you are dropping a Mine and expecting to do damage with it, it's definately time to leave; maybe past time.

For fighting Aquans, it's really important to swing for the fence and always roll as many dice as possible.  With Shields, Difficult Target, and a boosted DR, Aquans can be very hard to damage.  However, their CR tends to be low, so getting a Critical Hit must be your goal.  If you're lucky, you might get a bunch of 6s and double-Crit Kill one of their OP Cruisers.  (I think Aquan Cruisers are the most OP unit in the game; your friends will probably argue very strongly against it, while always taking 4 or 8 of them)

Dindrenzi Frigates are your friend against Aquans.  They ignore Difficult Target and Elusive, and can roll up to 12 AD and 8AD of Torpedoes at 24".  Used correctly, they can be decisive in your games.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 06:56:38 pm »
Dindrenzi Frigates are your friend against Aquans.  They ignore Difficult Target and Elusive, and can roll up to 12 AD and 8AD of Torpedoes at 24".  Used correctly, they can be decisive in your games.

THIS.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 08:11:58 pm »
Ok, so that sounds pretty reasonable. Am I right in saying Terrans use the exact opposite tactics, ie. Get in close and grind them down?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 10:34:01 pm »
Terrans use a mix of tactics, depending on your preferred method of combat. Some units like to get in close and brawl, some like to stay away... some try to do both, like Cruisers

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 09:28:18 am »
I think the Terrans have one of the most flexible styles of play in Armada. The variety of interesting fleet lists you can put together with them is definitely what has kept me playing Terrans since the beginning. They are also very forgiving for a new player, however, a good opponent can really exploit their weaknesses.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 02:50:30 pm »
I definitely agree! Unfortunately, my poor fleet commanding skills tend to mean I don't get the best out of them.

We should split this off into a separate Terran tactics thread/love fest  ;D

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 03:24:29 pm »
We should split this off into a separate Terran tactics thread/love fest  ;D

Terrans don't need anything special or separate. Or any Love for that matter ;-)

@Ryjak - I'm a little surprised you place no stock in Dindrenzi mines, after they way you kicked me around with them at Adepticon :-) Then again, I was in full Blunderful mode by then, but they either did damage or forced me to make unfavorable turns to avoid. It even got me thinking a Veydreth Fleet might work with their mines, especially with their speed.

You also mentioned going right to FSD Escape, and I hear many folks say this...but I have yet to see anyone actually make it work, or make it work myself. I keep wondering if we're all playing it wrong around here.
If reading the FSD rules correctly - Once you declare, the ship neither moves nor fires nor boards nor launches. It effectively has to just SIT there for two full turns, and if still alive it can escape. Is that a correct reading?

I could kinda see it working after Dinz complete their pass, but it still feels like a helluva 2-turn gamble to not be firing.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 04:24:35 am »
I suppose if you staggered your withdrawl you could screen with your remaining vessels, but screening doesn't seem like it would be a challenge in its own right.
Tacitus

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 10:08:08 pm »
 I usually put two or three units in reserve, which inherently gives me a staggered attack,  as well as the ability to create more space between my reserves and my targets.

As for mines, I never count on them to do damage, because Dindrenzi can't turn very well, and don't want to be that close.  It's more of an attack of opportunity than anything else.

Finally, it's hard to understand when to FSE, because it is so hard to be successful and escape.  I've only had luck with my Tier1s, because they're the hardest targets.  I can attribute two victories to this tactic.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 04:12:46 am »
So my Terran patrol fleet hasn't turned up after four months, and the store has offered me full refund.  I have managed to find another store with selling a battle for valhalla box, but with the terrans removed and replaced with a dindrenzi patrol fleet.  I have two questions, how do the nausicaa and praetorian compare, and is it worth having a heavy cruiser in with your cruiser squadron?
Tacitus