Author Topic: Starting as Aquans  (Read 1307 times)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Starting as Aquans
« on: September 15, 2016, 12:40:06 am »
So, I want to play Firestorm, and I really like the look and fluff of the aquans, but I don't have an opponent or a place to play at the moment.  I'm wondering whether I should grab the patrol fleet to start, or whether it would be worth putting in a little extra and getting return of the overseers so that I can have a game if the opportunity arises?  I'd love to get the opinion of some more experienced gamers.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
Re: Starting as Aquans
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 05:50:45 am »
This is the hardest part about playing a fantastic game almost no one plays... Finding an opponent.  First, I suggest looking at the crowd-sourced player finder map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zMx5iw2Dz0VQ.ksYcceYqrYI4

Second, it depends on how much money you're willing to lose on models you may never play with, particularly if you think you're going to paint them.  Having enough models to demo a game can go a long way to creating a player base, but doing it right (painting all the models & hanging out NOT playing) sounds like more commitment than you're willing to put into it.

For myself, I'd love to start building a player base at a local store, but that would require a lot of time... and honestly, a local store carrying stock.  Low demand and distribution problems leads to all my local stores not wanting to carry SG products, which I completely understand.  I feel uncomfortable playing there when I know the store doesn't gain anything from it.  I'm much more likely to gain success demoing Codex and poaching MtG players than demoing FSA and poaching Star Wars Xwing/Armada players.

This is why I haven't become a Vanguard.  As much as I enjoy the game (I have way too many models now) it's hard for me to play, let alone promote.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:57:21 am »
From what you've described in your intro thread I think you are better off with the two player box. It would probably benefit you to be able to show the game to a willing participant. That being said, I don't know what the pro's and con's are to the ships that come in the two player box compared to the patrol fleet.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:21:36 pm »
First, I suggest looking at the crowd-sourced player finder map:

Thanks a lot for that Ryjak, managed to find my local Vangaurd with that app.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 08:23:30 pm »
Nice!  I suggest asking for a demo game, and finding out where locals play, before you purchase anything.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 03:30:29 pm »
It all depends on your personal finances, of course, but to be honest if it were me I would go for the Overseers box to start with; Spartan's starter sets are great values for the amount of stuff they cram in there. Plus, if you are going to be in a position of needing to run demos to get local interest going, you have the benefit of a second fleet in the box. Alternatively, you could always re-sell the models you don't want.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 06:08:03 pm »
Since no one's addressed it per se => From a content standpoint, the Aquan ships in Overseers are a little on the specialized side. The Oannes and Sulis (Sulii?) on the Aquan side, and the Turmoils on the Directorate side, can work fine in straightforward beginner use, but pick up substantially with experience and understanding of their special rules.

Which is all just to say that a regular Patrol Fleet Box would be more typical and straightforward. I see those basic Aquan cruisers and the super-economic Battleship as the mainstays of an Aquan build.

Buuuut, were I in your shoes and money allows, I'd still do the Overseer Box for the built in match-up capability, and the sheer value.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:12:21 am »
Well I think  I'll just have to put in some overtime and try and get both, I have found a local play group on the other side of the city, but I think if I the capacity to run a game I could probably get a couple of guys at work playing. 
Tacitus