Author Topic: DW at either the GV or E&E  (Read 33058 times)

Creon

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: DW at either the GV or E&E
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2015, 04:28:48 pm »
Sorry to hear the fact you chose the weekend my wife demanded attendance upon her for her hobbies. Glad it went well.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
Re: DW at either the GV or E&E Campaign
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2015, 11:21:15 pm »
Creon, Yep sorry too, we coulda used you there. I played the Island defenders and didn't get to play a regular power. I want to try them. Anyway we are looking to do a campaign. It will be a conversion of Operation Galvanic.
Basically it is a series of scenarios to advance your situation moving from scarcity to full capacity.

Multiple powers are moving into the South Atlantic pursuing suspected large reserves of Sturginium. Players get a total number points for their Strategic fleet. This is the fleet dispatched from the homeland to the are. For all powers the Homeland will be considered Far enough away that replacements or reinforcement will be two turns (think battles) away.
This strategic fleet total can be adjusted by a players available models. Not all fleets will be the same size. Largest will be 3,000 points. The smallest 1,200. If Players don't have that many points of units,  models can be loaned or proxied.
From this strategic fleet Battle Groups can be formed for specific missions and tasks.
Replacements will only be needed for Battleships and Massive models which are scrapped. Massive and large units that are below 50% of HPs at the end of a scenario will be out of play for one battle. All other units will be repaired and scrapped units will re-appear.
 in another post I will outline the Campaign elements and the scenarios.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2015, 07:40:52 am »
So the clear SAW trays are in, no hurry.
Any suggestions on the next day/date?

Last Rites can you ask around your group if the blue sheet got mixed in. I SCOURED the shop before leaving and asked staff if they saw it. That simple sheet is a MAJOR pain to replace. So please ask.

Long Nine, Any chance it is in your stuff?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2015, 11:40:23 am »
Depending on when you start it, I would love to jump into this when I get back to VA!

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »
Ruck dog, when you coming back? This is a very flexible campaign, designed to have battles played at different frequencies over the player group. Different players will be playing battles at different times. There will be a goal and a way to win, but the idea is to have national objectives and tactical/operational limits drive battles as much as different the power's  asymmetric advantages. So we can make room for you whenever you can come as some powers may drop out or go slow and others charge harder.
What you get as you progress is more capability. But in the end it is an excuse to play DW in a richer context.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2015, 05:48:40 pm »
More on the campaign and what we have so far.
There should be battles that play more to certain powers' strength more than others and the opportunity to use different capabilities to achieve the win.
So with the Convoy and the Island scenarios you have very similar evident approaches - Rush and Board, but players attacked screening ships in one and were slowed by the defenders threats in the other.
For the Convoy, boarding is now paramount and aerial is limited, but a power that is limited in boarding can definitely find a reasonable path to win. The Italians as attacker would be an interesting challenge. However having them be defender would likely be a distinct advantage with their speed and Hit and Run. They are sea raiders
Twice I have seen Convoy played and in BOTH cases the defenders held the convoy back to keep it screened. With the Chinese as attackers this was bad because they had time to close with their PAINFULLY slow fleet. With the KoB their superior staying power shone through. The Rugged construction and REALLY good isolated systems it was hard to hurt the Chinese big in an individual attack.

With the Mysterious island rockets were not a strength, but speed would be. Boarding again was key, but you didn't need a lot  We learned to take a high DR/CR ship (A Dread or heavy BB with shields and good CC) and drive through any minefields, or sacrifice a small squadron, but don't let them slow you down.With Minefields I learned that concentrating the mines and linking them was the only real way to be effective.
Speed should have been key- the Chinese got stymied by the advanced Glacier Generator  and the Dilation generator node projector with two nodes making a wall of 1/2 AD was close to breaking the game. the resident yet not overly powerful Island weapons need to be swarmed.
Very much a situation for "Damn the Torpedoes, Full speed ahead."

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2015, 05:49:29 pm »
Moving this to the Operation Galvanic thread.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2015, 04:41:39 pm »
Ruck dog, when you coming back? This is a very flexible campaign, designed to have battles played at different frequencies over the player group. Different players will be playing battles at different times.

I would be looking at the end of October by the time I'm moved. My plan right now is to make E&E my "home base" once again ;).

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2015, 08:35:22 am »
Last Rites can you ask around your group if the blue sheet got mixed in. I SCOURED the shop before leaving and asked staff if they saw it. That simple sheet is a MAJOR pain to replace. So please ask.

Long Nine, Any chance it is in your stuff?

Reached out to all and just waiting to hear back from Vlad, but so far none have the sheet. I know it was folded and put aside, if he picked it up again from there I don't know. Let ya know once I hear back.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2015, 05:11:30 pm »
Just got word that a friend who plays EotBS is moving back to the area in late Sept. With Ruck coming back and new folks getting involved could be a very busy fall/winter for DW!
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Bogo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2015, 06:09:57 pm »
With NOVA now over, I am anxious to get in some games of Dystopian Wars (at E&E, my house in Springfield, or anywhere reasonably close).  Please let me know if you're interested and available and we can arrange a time and place (ianbatrep@gmail.com).  Thanks!

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2015, 07:56:22 pm »
Is Woodbridge too far? Flashback Comics has a game area that is between several locations.
I am looking to get a game in but E&E is a horrible drive fro me, or it has been.

Bogo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2015, 06:15:01 am »
Woodbridge would be fine.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2015, 07:24:04 am »
OK, so when would be a good time? This weekend?
What size fleet and what kind of battle- scenario or standard meeting engagement?
Anyone else interested?
There is a Fredericksburg guy I could ask.

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2015, 08:38:20 am »
Looking forward to getting some dwars at e and e. But it'll have to be October for me vacation coming up for the rest of September.