Critical Effects
2 (10%)
Squadrons of Units with Mutual Support
5 (25%)
Other (Please Discuss)
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: November 13, 2018, 11:57:18 am

Author Topic: MBS Monthly Poll #29: What Makes a Naval Game?  (Read 1092 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
MBS Monthly Poll #29: What Makes a Naval Game?
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:57:18 pm »
For this month's poll, we are asking all of you the characteristics are that make a game feel naval. You can pick more than one option in the poll, and as always, feel free to write a response below. Your responses will be discussed during the next episode of the MBS podcast!

KazadHarri

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Monthly Poll #29: What Makes a Naval Game?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 08:05:35 am »
H2O or Space.   :D

But I think Naval/Space games need to have the concept of a constructed construct in combat with another constructed construct, either in the maritime or space domains.  This eliminates tank to tank combat, or aviation.  The sentient entities inside or controlling these constructs use weapon systems, and maneuver to damage, disable, or destroy the other construct, not the sentient entities inside or controlling the enemy construct.  /Jeff 

voidstarsinger

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 05:57:44 am »
the use of the words ship and fleet come to mind eg fleet of airships   wet, air or void  beyond that i'm not fussy show good (tested) rules and cool minis and i'll have a go
take this ship to where the fire is at its heaviest  that where we can make a difference

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 11:26:13 pm »
I voted Critical Effects, Squadrons that Support, and "Other".

My "other" is based on my recent forays into Star Wars Legion. Given that most of my tabletop wargaming experience is with fleet-based naval games, I tend to use my infantry units like they are squadrons of ships. Which means I put them out in the middle of the battlefield and don't always remember to use terrain for cover. In naval games your ships are going to take damage. In a lot of cases they will still be combat-effective (up to a point), but infantry squads (at least in SW Legion) aren't so hardy. So to me that also is a hallmark of naval-themed games--probably everything you put on the table is going to get shot at and damaged, but in many cases will still be able to maneuver and return fire.

Hope that makes sense...
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 05:01:41 pm »
To me Naval games have the following key elements:

1. Firepower vs. Armor
2. Restricted maneuver and movement
3. Restricted fire arcs 

Squadrons and critical hits are a bonus but not a requirement.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:52:02 pm »
Restricted fire arcs--good point, I hadn't thought about that. The few ground-based games that I play (Dystopian Legions, Halo Ground Command, and Star Wars Legion) have pretty much 360-degree fire for the infantry--facing doesn't matter all that much. Very different in a naval game, where (at least in my experience) most weapon systems are relegated to a specific arc and very few can fire in any direction.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 02:19:54 pm »
Firepower v Armor, Then your weight of fire vs Maneuver. A heavier ship with more weapons should not be as free in its movement as a lighter ship with less weapons or over all firepower. I also like games that have a defined crit mechanic.

Having played both types of games Landlubber, Ship and ground forces types. I find myself always looking for LOS blocking terrain or Terrain that gives passive bonuses.