Author Topic: Pc games with naval focus  (Read 2415 times)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Pc games with naval focus
« on: September 19, 2016, 07:42:57 pm »
I've just finished listening to episode 9 of the podcast, and I thought I'd put a few PC games forward. 

Homeworld: it's the game that introduced me to naval gaming, and the only RTS I know of with true 3D movement and combat. 

Empire-Total War: this is turn-based strategy, real-time tactical.  The game starts at 1600 and lets you directly control your naval vessels in real-time combat. 

Europa Universalis IV: a highly abstracted real-time grand strategy game, set between the late 1400s and early 1800s with a strong naval aspect.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Pc games with naval focus
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 10:22:49 pm »
I think I mentioned total war in the show thread too. It's really a surprisingly good age of sail game.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:57:20 pm »
I think the only thing that ETW lacks is an ability to have individual ships act with intelligent autonomy, I found trying to command more than one ship challenging, and more than three nearly impossible.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:00:13 pm »
Getting the hang of the formations was pretty difficult. However I think the ponderous nature of moving a line of ships was a nice touch.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 12:21:54 am »
Thought I'd add a couple more games I've played with strong Naval themes. 

Leviathan: Warships
A slightly futuristic RTS where you assemble and customise a small fleet for each mission. 

Uncharted Waters Online. 
A very anime sandbox MMO set, I think, in the elizabethan era.  Kind of a wet version of Eve, free to play. 
Tacitus

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:12:42 am »
You got me thinking about other games I've played.
Conquest: Frontier Wars was a great space RTS. The map is broken into systems connected by wormholes. Once you have colonized a planet for resources in a system it has to be connected by a wormhole gate to your other systems or its supplies will be cut off. Same goes for ships. Ammunition, fuel, life support systems are all resources that must be managed when exploring.
Great game.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 03:24:30 pm »
That does look really good, and it's available at gog.com. 
Tacitus