Author Topic: My Dystopian Wars French Fleet  (Read 5588 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
My Dystopian Wars French Fleet
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »
Just finished my RoF starter box! Here is how it turned out:

The front turret on the battleship has been magnetized so that I can swap it for the heat lance:

Cruisers

Frigates

Heavy Interceptors

And here is an overall shot of the fleet (or at least as much as I could squeeze into my light diffusion tent!):

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: My Dystopian Wars French Fleet
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:43:09 pm »
As usual, Andy, they look great!  Can we get some close-ups of the heat lance, and maybe have a quick explanation of how you painted it?  It looks like it's been powered up, but is in standby mode.

Although, I have to say that the Voltaires look like they might be trying to blend in with your Prussian land forces...maybe to conduct a sneak attack?

Greg
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:30:31 pm »
Well, it took me a few months to get back around to it, but I've finally finished up some reinforcements for my RoF fleet!

First up, my Couronne-class Battle Carrier:

Next up, a squadron of Epaulard class subs (I'm really partial to these little guys!):

I tried something a little different and gave the water bases on these models a coat of GW's 'Ardcoat, a brush-on gloss varnish. Overall, I think I like the effect quite a bit!

And finally, a squadron of Chevalier-class destroyers:

Whew! I should really have gotten these guys done a long time ago, but between video games and a couple of non-gaming related model projects, I just now got them done. Next on the list is a dreadnought, a squadron of armored cruisers, a squadron of support cruisers, and a squadron of medium flyers. They will have to wait until after my impending move, though.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:37:53 pm »
As always, Andy, bang-up job on these vessels.  Diggin' the heat lance on the carrier, nice effects.  I honestly don't know how you have time to paint all these ships--I still have models from my FSA starter set that aren't done!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:12:35 am »
Thanks Greg! I admit, I do seem to get good levels of production (when I actually bother to paint, that is!), but I think that is because I tend to paint to a lower standard than you do; up close, your work is always neater and tends to be more detailed. Plus, you have done some really neat stuff like freeing up the airscrews on your sky fortress!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 12:57:18 pm »
Don't try to flatter me--you and I both know it will take me about as long as the fall of the Roman Empire to finish painting that sky fortress.

But thank you anyway.

Looking forward to seeing those ships in person.  Maybe we can do some RoF vs FSA on the 21st?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:55:36 pm »
Maybe so!

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:50:47 pm »
I have to say, I really love the contrast between the bright white and blue of the naval units and the greens and tans of the interceptor. 

Look forward to seeing more!

Also, did you cover Landlubber's first request about the heat lance anywhere?  Because I would like to see that, too!
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 05:36:26 pm »
Ah, thanks for reminding me.  Very briefly, I start with a small spot of white on the front and sides of the lance. I then paint a ring of yellow outside of that. I then keep working my way out with orange and then finally red. The last step is to dry brush boltgun metal over the front of the lance to give a stronger impression of hot metal. The next time I paint one, I will have to take some step by step pics!