Author Topic: Force Awakens  (Read 1597 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Force Awakens
« on: December 18, 2015, 04:41:48 pm »
Force Awakens Spoiler Review! Click to reveal!
[spoiler]
The Good:
-- Dialogue and action was stellar all round.

-- I really liked that Finn's arc was so simple - the Soldier who says No. He wasn't anyone's legacy (that we know of) or Chosen One. Just a good man who finally said, "Enough". And since he never had a choice in being a Stormtrooper to begin with, he's not betraying anything  real. I figured John Boyega would be good based on ATTACK THE BLOCK, but I was really pleased with his charisma and chemnistry with Rey. And his delivery of the trash compactor line was one of my favs in the whole film.

-- Daisy Ridley as Rey definitely earns her new Uber-crush status. Not just looks or manner, which project this odd Kiera Knightly deal - but her sheer appeal and obvious intelligence. Whatever her parentage turns out to be (i was SURE the film was going to end with her saying "Dad?", but no) she fits the ongoing Hero mold to a T. I love her acting job of fully and convincingly showing her discovering her Force powers. You could almost literally see her leveling up ;-) And despite all her Mary-Sue like qualities, she never felt like one. Her resourcefulness combined with the simple sadness of her waiting for her parents only made her more noble.

-- The old cast - delightful! Always great to see Harrison Ford engaged in his work, but Carrie Fisher brought all the feels. 

-- Adam Driver as Kylo-Ren (Ben) was the revelation here. Instantly as scary as Vader has ever been. But with that unnerving teen edge of fury, almost like a young Gary Oldman. The Anakin we should have had but never did. Something almost punk rock about him, well, when ignoring the psychopathic nazi stuff. And when confronting Han, I kept waiting for him to go full Riff-Raff, "You never liked me!!!". But he dialed it back in which was perfect to show the real mind-fuck job that Snoke has done to him. Even as telegraphed as his betrayal was, it worked because you really wanted him to go back with Han. So it still HURT.

-- Poe - Oscar Issac could read stereo instructions in a mumu, and be interesting.

-- The First Order - the sense of military organization and just how it would all WORK was very convincing. Gen Hux was solid, as that actor always is.

-- Captain Phasma - Boba Fett level coolness achieved. we BETTER see more of her.

-- Maz - very fun. More please!

-- I don't know how they made Star Destroyers feel BIGGER again, but they did.

-- When the lightsaber calls to Rey, were those children cries the screams of the Younglings that Anakin killed? ;-)

The Bad:

-- Being both a sequel and a remake with yet another Death Star (" but it goes to 11?" ) was weak.
-- The physics of firing a shot between SYSTEMS, and having other systems see it in real time was EXTREMELY bad physics.
-- The physics of having a weapon you can fire twice before you drain a whole sun seemed silly and too plot driven. Even if they can move the planet, ala the original Death Star, that feels equally dumb. Maybe if they'd just SHOWN the place moving between systems, like it drains a sun for the shot and the hyperjump, a real Galactus level threat - THAT could have been cool. But they fumbled it.
-- The physics of the "star map" and missing piece was terrible. 4-6 stars on the fragment, and anyone could tell where it is. You don't need a literal dotted line like a pirate map!

The Ugly:
-- 3PO felt really tacked on a wedged in for his scenes. Like "Hey look, Anthony Daniels , ladies and gentlemen!"
-- Snoke didn't work for me at all, except in the results of his work. Bad name. Confusing whether he was a giant or hologram at first. Is he a Muun or some other race? Darth Plaguies? But above all, NOT as instantly scary or intriguing as The Emperor was. I don't blame Andy Serkis, I blame the lines and character design.
-- The Resistance and the Republic really seemed like useless incompetents compared to the First Order. 25+ years on or whatever, and that's the best they can do? WTF with their "fleet" which is nothing but a few dozen X-Wings? No capital ships?
-- Inside references - Who was Max Von Sydow? Why the red arm for 3PO? What was the Battle of Jakku and why? A teeny bit of elegant exposition would have helped it avoid feeling like an ad-teaser for "Go read the book tie-ins to find out!"

OVERALL: A huge success, with characters and execution and emotion more than overshadowing flaws. And follows the best rule of all, leaves us wanting MORE![/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:29:42 pm by Ruckdog »
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:22:47 am »
White on white also, highlight to reveal. No hard spoilers, but some stuff revealed so buyer beware.

[spoiler]Well I wasn't too pleased. It was entertaining, but didn't feel like the story was well thought out.

The crap of being the third Deathstar story arc and they not only made it seem even easier then the previous ones, but they also rushed it so much was just crap.

There were certainly Mary-Sue/Marty-Stu feeling to Rey and Poe. Pretty disgusting really, though the kids loved the over the top characters. Poe was just stupidly good at everything Never lost a beat or missed a shot... No serious character flaws at all that I could see, heck he even cracked jokes after going through seemingly horrific torture... Where is the lovable full of flaws, but still good at heart character that this guy so could have been, ala Han Solo? And seriously Rey went from not even knowing the Force was real to repeatedly besting a (at least partial) trained Force user with nothing more then an offhand comment from a supporting character and what a day of playing around... BS Where is the struggle to come to terms with the abilities that takes even powerful Jedi years to work through.

Ren was just a freaking joke, I mean come on for real a spoiled brat is all this guy was.

The story was very rushed over all with little (really no) details about what has happened in between this and the last movies. You do get a feeling that the new order is something of a legitimate government type force, roughly equal to the new republic and that the "resistance" is a small organization at least partially funded by the new republic, but you have to read into it a bit to get that and a lot of that is still assumption.

Now the action sequences were good (very much with JJ's signature all over them). The acting all around was fantastic, even if the roles were a bit over the top. Dialogue also was very good, with a good bit of humor tossed in. It definitely hit some feels in spots, but failed in others by so obviously telegraphing stuff that it lost the full impact.

All in all, I'd have been happier with more Jar-Jar... I'd give it a bout a 6/10[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:30:04 pm by Ruckdog »
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:40:15 pm »
Hmmm...sorry guys, I didn't realize I didn't have spoiler tags available. I'll have to see about getting a mod for that.

Okay! Here's my thoughts:

[spoiler]I really like it! I think it easily beats the three prequel movies in just about every way (story, acting, pacing, effects, you name it), and is probably right there with ROTJ in my estimation. Doesn't quite beat out ANH for originality, or TESB for plot, but it's still darn good I'd say.

TBH, after seeing the 2009 Star Trek movie, I always felt JJ Abrams' style would be better suited to Star Wars, and TFA proves that IMO. His pacing and action are a much better fit for the universe.

@Andrew:

I guess you didn't enjoy it as much as I did! I had to look up what you meant by the Mary Sue thing; to be honest, I didn't even notice. Having a character that is a gifted, young protagonist, a "child of destiny" so to speak, is something I've always seen as a key part of Star Wars. Anakin, Luke, and now Rey have filled that role. Dont know what to say about the Jar-Jar line ;).

@Dale:

Physics have always had little to do with SW, but I agree inter-solar laser blasts made me cringe too! I too am a bit confused as to just what the power structure in the new movie is. Does the Republic control most of the Galaxy, with the First Order and Resistance being small splinter groups? Are the First Order and the Republic two large powers locked in a Cold War of some sort, with the Resistance in between? Hope we find out in the next movie!
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:30:28 pm by Ruckdog »

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 10:47:35 pm »
Color thing won't work with quotes...so SPOILERS..

[spoiler]
There were certainly Mary-Sue/Marty-Stu feeling to Rey and Poe. Pretty disgusting really, though the kids loved the over the top characters.

When you say Poe, do you mean Finn?
Did you have a similar problems with Luke in ANH, or Han Solo flying through asteroid fields, or Anakin winning a podrace while barely out of the womb?

Ren was just a freaking joke, I mean come on for real a spoiled brat is all this guy was.

And Luke wasn't? Anakin/Vader wasn't?
Whatever his emotional maturity (which was kinda the main plat element for him...do you know any teenagers?) Kylo Ren seems to be about the most effective Force user we've ever seen short of the Clone Wars cartoons, and Palpatine vs Yoda.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:30:50 pm by Ruckdog »
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 11:09:12 pm »
Everything needs more Jar Jar, nuff said right there ;). I did enjoy the movie, I just think it could have been so much better. Oh and Spoiler Tags would be super, especially for stuff like this, but also because I like to hide my pictures behind spoilers so people don't have to get bogged down by huge threads.

Seriously though...

[spoiler]I did mean Poe, I actually liked Finn's character the most of the new group. He actually felt like a more legitimate character because he does kind of fumble around a lot and isn't "perfect".

I didn't have as much of an issue with Luke in ANH because they didn't make him some sort of instant know it all when it came to the Force. He really couldn't do much of anything well until well into tESB after being (somewhat) trained. That made the character more believable. Rey on the other hand... well lets just say apparently I missed about 5 or 6 hours of her learning how to use her powers because she's the bomb with the force.

I never got the impression Luke was a spoiled brat either, sheltered for sure, but the prissy tantrums that Kylo (and Anakin) have are just annoying. Probably because I do have a teenager and the whole time I just wanted to slap him for acting like a Dbag. Seriously, what did that console ever do to him anyway. The fact that he's stupidly powerful with the Force only solidified Rey's Marysueness since she totally Worfed him (another TV trope for those following along). As for Han, well he's Han! Of course he does have his flaws too, while he is a great pilot you get a sense of how deeply flawed his character is right off the bat and it's reinforced through out the entire series, he gambles too much, runs his mouth, and makes generally bad choices among other things. I think they were trying to do something like that with Poe too, but they just dropped the ball.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:31:11 pm by Ruckdog »

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 05:31:45 pm »
I have successfully installed a Spoilers tag, and took the liberty of converting over all your posts ;).

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 10:23:47 am »
Bwah ha ha ha! Andrew, have you seen this video?

http://youtu.be/yo7_qW4pPrc

Based on you comments above, I think you would have enjoyed this version of Episode VII much better  ;).

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 12:00:13 am »
Bahawhawhaw yes! So much better, thanks for that! Oh and spiiler tags! Great stuff.