Author Topic: DW 2.0 Rules Discussion  (Read 4457 times)

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: DW 2.0 Rules Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 08:05:48 pm »
I really like the new book.  Nothing jumps out as terribly different--but everything is straightened up and looks good, even some of the cool deployment rules from the scenario books.

On a gut level, looking through it last night revitalized my love for Spartan Games.  I still would like to play more games of The Uncharted Seas, but DW is a close second when it comes to favorite tabletop games.  And this new book certainly has some great new art.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:31 pm »
Finally got my DW 2.0 goodies! My first impressions are up on the blog:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2014/06/10/dystopian-wars-2-0-unboxing-impressions/

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 09:11:12 pm »
I've got another DW 2.0 blog post up! I plan on making similar posts for the rest of the sections in the rule book, though Section C may take several posts as it is a much larger section:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2014/06/12/dystopian-wars-2-0-rules-breakdown-part-1-section-a/

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 11:14:00 am »
Ruckdog, thanks for posting these reviews. Very informative to see what's inside the box.  You've convinced me to go ahead and order Shadowhunter for myself.

I must confess I'm not *entirely* happy with Spartan's decision to go with two versions of the rule book, but I suspect it will be some time before the Admiral edition is available on its own, and I don't want to wait that long to get into the 2.0 game play.  Not that the Commodore edition isn't nice--it most certainly is, and I was perusing it last night at my FLGS--but I wouldn't want to lug that to and from the store and get it boogered up on the tabletop.

But...it is what it is.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 12:02:52 am »
Ruckdog, thanks for posting these reviews. Very informative to see what's inside the box.  You've convinced me to go ahead and order Shadowhunter for myself.

I must confess I'm not *entirely* happy with Spartan's decision to go with two versions of the rule book, but I suspect it will be some time before the Admiral edition is available on its own, and I don't want to wait that long to get into the 2.0 game play.  Not that the Commodore edition isn't nice--it most certainly is, and I was perusing it last night at my FLGS--but I wouldn't want to lug that to and from the store and get it boogered up on the tabletop.

But...it is what it is.

Glad you like the review posts! I've got the breakdown for Section B added to the blog now;

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2014/06/14/dystopian-wars-2-0-rules-breakdown-part-2-section-b/

You won't be disappointed on the Shadow Hunter box set; there is a LOT of stuff there, and I'm sure you could find someone to buy/sell/trade the EotBS stuff with if you decide not to keep it.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 06:39:03 pm »
Very interesting about the new "disordered" rule.  So if I understand correctly, everyone regains order (or becomes "un-disordered") at the end of the turn, but at a cost of lost HP or AP, correct?  Interesting...

Actually, I'll probably keep the Japanese models when I get the box set.  Might as well.  Been thinking about getting into that faction anyway--they are rarely played at my FLGS.  I would REALLY like to collect all the Japanese aerial models; I've always liked the way they look, and I always enjoy a good air fight.

So Ruckdog, it sounds like you should be able to show up to the table with the Admiral-edition rulebook and the free fleet guide for your chosen faction, and you should be good to go...right?  If you have those two items, there's no reason to lug the Commodore-edition rulebook to the table, correct?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 09:30:54 pm »
I got both and yes, if you have the stats in PDF you don't need the Commodore's edition.

I wonder why the CommodoreOs version is nicer than the Admiral's edition?
Heh.
I noticed that the counters in the Op Shadow hunter are different than the online counter sheet.
Did anyon else notice this?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 12:34:28 am »

Creon

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 12:52:13 pm »
I got a Commmodore's edition because I already have over 2k of Blazing Sun, and the FSA are imperialist lackeys of the Running Dog Brits, and should know better.  And I don't want their ships.  :)  On a side note, anyone seen a 2.0 Ottoman Update? 

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 02:03:45 pm »
Oh good! Sec. C is what i was going to sit down and reread tonight lol
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 01:51:36 pm »
Section C is the big one for me, with significant exceptions.
The simultaneous resolution of attacks, and then sequential application of damage is tricky.
Auxiliaries resolved first, then ordnance.
No more split fire.
Storms have been nerfed, sorry Vice Admiral.
So much more
RoF definetely stronger.
Or we will see (FSA sustained fire vs Retardent armor and redoubtable heat guns)!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 12:31:53 am »
The overview of Section D is up on the blog!