Author Topic: Fighting the Ottomans  (Read 3548 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Fighting the Ottomans
« on: November 08, 2013, 11:42:09 am »
Been getting my clock cleaned by the local Ottoman player here.  I focus most of my firepower on his small flyers, which are the only craft that can drop those @$#! mines, because I don't want a crap-ton of those mines on the board.  They are small, and he flies them obscured, which means everything except my John Henry-class robots hit them on 6's.  So while I pile in to try to kill them in turn one, his surface ships starting chewing me up, because all my fire is focused on the flyers.  The mines and minelayers CANNOT be ignored--with the Sturginium Mine MAR, all of their hits (4s, 5s, & 6s) count as 2 hits, and 6s still explode.  And the Ottoman battleship is a beast--about on par with my Enterprise-class dreadnaught in terms of firepower and range.  More than a match for the FSA battleship.

Ideas?  Anyone else faced the Ottomans and lived to tell the tale?  Is there a weakness I'm overlooking?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

VADM LokeRoze

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
  • Bend the knee and pledge your fealty
    • View Profile
    • valley of my mind
Re: Fighting the Ottomans
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:07:29 am »
did the otto's corrosive MAR give u any troubles?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:16:25 pm »
did the otto's corrosive MAR give u any troubles?

Not that I recall, although he may have forgotten to apply the corrosive MAR.  I don't know or own the Ottoman fleet, so I kinda expected him to be read up on their specifics.

The biggest issue, like I said before, is the mines.  It sucks having to tie up half your firepower in turn one to go after what is, essentially, about 110 points worth of small flyers.  But, if you ignore them, they just continue to drop mines, and that's not acceptable.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 09:35:06 am »
I'll be facing the Ottomans later tonight. Thanks for the heads up on the mines!
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:14:51 pm »
I'll be facing the Ottomans later tonight. Thanks for the heads up on the mines!

Well, how did it go?

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:55:38 pm »
Meep! Started writing this the other night, but had a comp crash.

So the mini camp started with a sort of training mission between the French and the Ottomans, with myself playing tutor/referee/human rulebook. Have never faced either fleet (so didn't mind sitting out the first match  ;D) and both players were using their fleets for the first time as well. In that match the Ottomans did drop out a few mines early in the game. However since this was a new player, he fell victim to poor planning in his movement. Seeing the fleet bunched up before him the French player sent in a squad of suicide fighter pilots to ignite the mines. Which ended up setting each other off in succession. This took out a couple of the small fliers that had laid the mines in the first place as well as a frigate or two, while doing nothing to the BB. Game ended in a draw and I was denied witnessing the Heat Lances in action, again due to poor movement.

Second game my FSA was to clear a supply shipment line through the med, when it was encountered by an over sized combined fleet of French and Ottomans. This is where the Otts really stepped up the game. Using recon planes my capitol ships lobbed shots all over the place to cripple the French force (making sure to keep my first exp with the lances at bay). However, when the core of my force tried to pass through a straight the Ottos placed storm after storm in the way. This was both a  blessing and a very VERY annoying move. The way we took the storms to work was normal mv up until you encounter the storm, then half mv -1. Seeing as shooting through a storm "impedes" LOS I was shielded from fire, but also couldn't unleash my Dread as well. When there was a break from the tempests the Otto cruisers did get their fair share of punishment. Yet having storms always on the table their survival was all but assured, as i was forced to face the French the majority of the time. Aside from the storms I found that the broadsides were a bit of a concern. Redoubtable, AND Sustained Fire meant that even if I damaged them it wasn't enough to pull dice away from their attacks. That said i found it surprisingly easy to to DEAL damage to their BB (my main focus of attack when not under an umbrella). My Saratoga constantly launched torp bombers to harass both fleets for relativity little points cost to my expeditionary force. The mines did come back out near the end of the game, but due to distance and time before the close of the game they were a non-issue. I think he was a bit upset with the way they had performed in the previous game to give them another chance. Again this ended in a draw overall. I considered it a win for the Skimers, as they had blocked my advancement into the med to secure a path for KOB resupply.

Parting thoughts:

1.) Make sure you have space to maneuver if you get a 4" storm placed in front of you...if its 8" all i can say is hold fast and hope to get an early activation before they can redeploy the storm. (Storms dissipate in the end phase).

2.) Put as much damage as you can on the BB and Cruisers to avoid a torrent of dice clashing against your fleet. Much like taking on the ROC to ride them of their Ablative Armour.

3.) The mines were a non-issue, and I only suffered 1 loss of HP due to an unfixed corrosive hit.

I had greater fears going into the game than what had actually transpired. This is mostly due to the other players being new I think. Given time to perfect technique the Ottomans will truly be a pain to deal with, as they can just sit and hide elements of their fleet. I.e. set a storm out to block mv then another to cover more powerful units after they have activated.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:52:18 pm »
Very interesting.  I'm starting to wonder if either a) my Ottoman opponent doesn't understand his rules, or b) your Ottoman doesn't understand his rules.

The Ottoman player here said that the mines don't necessarily detonate when in proximity of the enemy--he can choose when to detonate them.  While I like the idea of sacrificing a wing of TFT fighters to get rid of the mines, if the Ottoman player here is right, that shouldn't work--as he could just choose not to detonate them.

Agreed on the storms--real pain in the ass, especially for TFTs.  I think they were designed specifically to mess with TFT wings.  However, make sure your opponent knows how to use the Firtina generator correctly.  The player here miscalculated the storm points for his cruiser squadron and was throwing out WAY more storms than he should have been able to.  He didn't realize until our second or third game that he wasn't calculating the points correctly.

Maybe I should pick the fleet up myself so I can better understand the rules...

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:54:12 pm »

LOL - it's just TOO easy to start more fleets!
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 01:15:20 pm »

LOL - it's just TOO easy to start more fleets!

It certainly is.  Not so easy to keep up with the painting, however.  Between various Dystopian Wars fleets, my Dystopian Legions FSA ground-pounders, and a new game I'm picking up (DeepWars), the hobby bench is getting might crowded.  But I put an airbrush on my Christmas list, so maybe that will help....

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 03:46:09 pm »
Between various Dystopian Wars fleets, my Dystopian Legions FSA ground-pounders, and a new game I'm picking up (DeepWars), the hobby bench is getting might crowded.  But I put an airbrush on my Christmas list, so maybe that will help....

I played a demo game of DeepWars last year and loved it, probably in large part because of the underwater theme....

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 04:48:46 pm »
Between various Dystopian Wars fleets, my Dystopian Legions FSA ground-pounders, and a new game I'm picking up (DeepWars), the hobby bench is getting might crowded.  But I put an airbrush on my Christmas list, so maybe that will help....

I played a demo game of DeepWars last year and loved it, probably in large part because of the underwater theme....

Just played my first game this past Tuesday, and REALLY enjoyed it.  The game is a bit complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.  I was playing the Ancients of Atalan deluxe starter set against an opponent with the Fortune Hunters deluxe starter.  It was a skirmish scenario, and (of course) I lost.  But it was a LOT of fun.  Was thinking about posting my review on ManBattlestations....not sure if it qualifies as a naval wargame, however.  Thoughts?

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 08:08:43 am »
It definitely qualifies as nautical!  I'm looking forward to seeing how you paint those Anciets--they include some awesome sculpts.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 12:36:20 pm »
It definitely qualifies as nautical!  I'm looking forward to seeing how you paint those Anciets--they include some awesome sculpts.

Cool.  I'll post a review of my first game, with some pics.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 09:10:41 am »
First off, gonna have to look at the post for DeepWars.  :)

Bout 5 games in against the Ottomans...still either pulling out draws or losses...In the last one I lost 4 models due to the Corrosive tokens in the End Phase :( That was with using Aussies and their Experienced Engineers MAR. Sad day indeed. "May" be facing off with the with my Russian allies in the Black Sea today. If so will be sure to take some pics. Due to an error on Santa's part my Otto opponent received two Dreads, whom have yet to show up on the seas...