Author Topic: The Ottomans Have Arrived  (Read 1968 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
The Ottomans Have Arrived
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:34:36 am »
Releasing in July:

https://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DWAL36

There is another battle group as well.

First impressions:  the superstructures are VERY ornate, and very clustered.  I think they'll be a challenge to paint.  I'm glad they worked the mosque minarets and domes in--some interesting opportunities for creative paint jobs, like this:

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/42-17512503/ornate-minaret-of-majsjidijami-or-the-friday

I haven't had a chance yet to look at the rules and fluff--but I don't think the Ottomans are a full-fledged faction like the Prussians or French are.

Thoughts on the design?

"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: The Ottomans Have Arrived
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 06:51:15 pm »
I think they look pretty neat! Very intricate design. I'm not sure if I would be able to do the sculpts justice, but I'm sure there are some very talented painters out there who will do some incredible worth with these.

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:44 pm »
Yeah, I like the minarets and the emphasis on gun weaponry - bombards and broadsides.  A cool looking aesthetic.  I look forward to seeing them painted up!
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:35:08 am »
I look forward to the challenge of painting them.  But yeah, they look pretty intricate.  Doesn't look like there's much room to maneuver even a super-detail brush around the superstructure of the dread and BB.

Pendrake

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Pendrakes Blogspot
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:46:04 pm »
Releasing in July:

https://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DWAL36

....[snip]....

First impressions:  the superstructures are VERY ornate, and very clustered.  I think they'll be a challenge to paint.

Thoughts on the design?

I am under impressed. I do not like the trend of "iconic national architecture" becomes "naval architecture". The Ottomans are just the latest but perhaps the most egregious example. Basically, the design paradigm is: The Hagia Sophia goes to sea.

Multiple minarets on major warships.. ? ..uhhh, no.  :-X

I have not wanted to post this on their forum because they tend to ban negativity if or when they decide it gets out of hand. While I am on the topic of "iconic national architecture becomes naval architecture" I must say something about the Italians: the smoke stacks are forward of the bridge on every ship class :o except the MTBs ::)

That is a monumental design blunder that I find stunning; result: some very silly models.

Back to Turkey: I was really hoping they would give the Ottoman fleet a bunch of low-slung , menacing looking rams. Drawing inspiration from their Uncharted Seas Cloud Mages designs perhaps. Casemate ironclads with  sharp pointed ram noses is what those were.

I do like the look of the Ottoman small flyers (that you get three of instead of a pair of bombers). Am am unlikely to buy a boxed set just for those however.

Does anyone think that the minarets are resin? Metal add on pieces seem far more likely to me. If that were the case and somebody sent me the Ottomans as a present I would be almost certain to leave them off. Aside from everything else the temptation to use them to model shore installations would be overwhelming.
1:1200 - One inch equals One Hundred feet...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 12:26:23 pm »
Thanks for the lead-in Landlubber ;)....

I am under impressed. I do not like the trend of "iconic national architecture" becomes "naval architecture". The Ottomans are just the latest but perhaps the most egregious example. Basically, the design paradigm is: The Hagia Sophia goes to sea.

Multiple minarets on major warships.. ? ..uhhh, no.  :-X

I have not wanted to post this on their forum because they tend to ban negativity if or when they decide it gets out of hand. While I am on the topic of "iconic national architecture becomes naval architecture" I must say something about the Italians: the smoke stacks are forward of the bridge on every ship class :o except the MTBs ::)

That is a monumental design blunder that I find stunning; result: some very silly models.

Definitely hear you on that one, Pendrake! I didn't have quite this strong of a reaction to these new models, but then I suppose that I have come to terms with the inherently silly nature of DW models. As a professional naval officer, just about everything in the DW range borders on the ludicrous! Plus, the models tend to lack the basic appliances that any sea-going vessel would require for basic operation. As one small example, apparently no one needs anchors or other ground tackle in the DW universe! So, to me, a minaret-encrusted battleship is quite silly, but I think it fits right in with a zeppelin aircraft carrier that looks like it could flip upside down at any moment, or a White House on treads with massive guns (that's amphibious to boot!).

I think the basic problem that Spartan is grappling with is that they are trying to portray a setting not all that different in many respects from WWI and WW II (here I'm referring to the technology-driven, industrial nature of those wars, more than any of the political dimensions). In real life, warship designs of this period trended towards a certain sameness, to the point that your average gamer probably wouldn't be able to distinguish between a British, American, or German DD if shown a picture of one. It is clear that instead of following the historical model, Spartan wants to give each faction its own distinctive appearance, which I assess is an effort to increase the visual appeal of the game and hence its mass-market appeal. Unfortunately, since most gamers aren't naval experts, the easiest way to allow gamers to determine the nationality of a faction at a glance is to use that nation's monumental architecture as a sort of short-hand identifier.  I think that is the source of the kinds of silliness we are discussing here, where the White House, the Hagia Sophia, the Eifel Tower, and St. Basil's all find their way on to the Dystopian battlefield.

Does anyone think that the minarets are resin? Metal add on pieces seem far more likely to me. If that were the case and somebody sent me the Ottomans as a present I would be almost certain to leave them off. Aside from everything else the temptation to use them to model shore installations would be overwhelming.

I like where you are going with that idea!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 12:40:55 pm »
So this is an edit and re-issue of my original post, which I somehow accidentally deleted, and I was editing when Ruckdog responded, and I'm doing all of this from my iPad, so my apologies!

Ruckdog kind of took the words out of my mouth while I was editing my post...

Since we're talking fictitious ships here in an alternate timeline, I guess I don't mind suspending my disbelief somewhat and overlooking design quirks.  Plus, I like the fact that Spartan is making an honest attempt to differentiate the ships of each nation.  To add to what Ruckdog said--to the untrained, non-naval eye, most modern day warship classes look very similar, no matter what nation they represent.  Not having served in the Navy myself, I likely could not tell destroyers from different navies apart based simply on how they look.  So I think that mostly what Spartan is trying to do here is make unique-looking models that stand out on the table top.  Every game of Dystopian Wars that gets played is an advertisement for the product line, and they'll want to ensure that their products are noticed.

Functional or not, inspiring or not, aesthetically pleasing or not....Spartan's DW models definitely DO stand out (in my humble opinion).  But hey, to each his own, and you're not going to get shot at on these forums for thinking ANY manufacturer's models look silly!   :)