Author Topic: DW in Colorado is dead. (I think.)  (Read 2173 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
DW in Colorado is dead. (I think.)
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:55:11 pm »
Been here a couple of months now, and I can't find any DW players.  The only store that I've come across so far in Denver that even carried the models closed at the end of February.  The only other store that I've found that carries models is in Colorado Springs, and since I drive back and forth from there for work 5 days a week, I ain't real keen on going down there on the weekend to scare up a game.  Thursday night is their typical DW night, and truthfully I've only been in there once on a Thursday, but there were no DW players--I ended up playing X-Wing. 

I've even sent PM's to people on the Spartan Games forums who are in the area, and I've gotten no response.

I shudder to think of all that unpainted resin I have in my hobby room that may never see a table top...but hey, a lot of those models will make great dioramas!  Like the FSA dreadnought running over an Ika...

So we'll see.  I hate to say it out loud, but my DW gaming days may be over.  Now that I've said it, maybe it will change.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: DW in Colorado is dead. (I think.)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:19:37 pm »
I wouldn't give up on it quite yet.  I had a similar situation with Battletech in NC.  Many times you find that no one even knew the games existed.  The shop down there catered to Warhammer & 40k religiously.  I don't game, but I would bring in my finished and some unfinished Mechs just to display on the weekend and I'd have a few people start asking about them and the game system.  They had tables set aside to paint so I would and folks watched.  Before I left, there where 3 people playing skirmishes with Lance/Star sized forces. 

Worse case, show up with 2 forces and offer to show folks there how to play, even unfinished or primed minis will work.  A few games may get the locals started in on it.

Stitch
I find accuracy increases exponentially when more rounds are placed down range.

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:59:43 pm »
get 2-3 fleets (with 3 you can allow a spectator to choose one fleet to play with, and which fleet to play against)
be willing to demo it

advertise the demo if you can
work a deal with the lfgs if you can
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:41:19 pm »
Sorry to hear you are struggling with getting a group up and runnning out there! Best I can tell you is to just be patient; Fracas has a good point there about having two fleets to run demos with. How are your French coming along? ;)

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:50 am »
And, you know, regarding the suggestion of having 2-3 fleets available - that's a good excuse to buy more DW resin!  :)
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 01:05:56 am »
C'mon, man, like I NEED an excuse to buy more DW resin!

You all are probably right--I just need to give it some more time.  Will be heading back to Gamer's Haven tomorrow after work, and I'll be taking my FSA & my X-wing minis...we'll see what pans out.

Ruckdog....it's ME... How do you think my French are coming along??? :). Actually, I had gotten quite a bit done on my Voltaire squadron when I realized just how many half-finished models are laying around my hobby room, so I put the Voltaires on hold while I try to finish a TIE Interceptor that I started longer ago than I care to admit.

Funny--it isn't the best kit, but the wings have a lot of surface detail, and after spending the last 18 months or so only working on DW models, I can't let the details go without getting SOME sort of paint on them.  Which means I'm making what should be a two-week kit into something that's taking a lot longer.

Will keep you all posted on my DW efforts out here.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:19:07 pm »
C'mon, man, like I NEED an excuse to buy more DW resin!

Indeed.  Did you hear about the new fleets of Italian ships out now?  I forget how long it takes for news like this to travel west by Pony Express.  :)

I haven't touched my French ships yet, not even to prime them--I've been working on my new Bone Griffons fleet... I have 6 starter fleets painted for Uncharted Seas now!  Some day, Landlubber, you may end up with 6 painted factions for DW....

But, really, get a few more of your French ships primed, at least, add a bit of dry brushing, and then you've got that second fleet for a demo game.  With Leviathans finally published and getting some attention now, I think those French ships, even with minimal work, will attract some attention for you to recruit some new and enthusiastic players.

Good to hear you're at least playing some X-Wing games.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:41 pm »
Pony Express, haha, very funny.  I'll have you know we get regular mail service out here on the Frontier at least three times a week (if the injuns ain't causin' a ruckus, that is).   :P

Aye, you're right--I'll get some more of my Frenchies painted up and see what happens.  Unfortunately, I went to a local game store here for International Table Top Day last Saturday and remembered how much I enjoy board games.  Played some Ticket to Ride and Carcassone, and had a great time.  Am going to try to start getting some more board gaming in.  So I better find some DW opponents soon, or my dance card is going to fill up!

Here's the link to the store where I played the board games--they also run X-wing on the first Monday of the month, so I was there a few days ago:  www.enchantedgrounds.com

It's a game store with a coffeeshop inside it!  And it's actually a good coffee shop, according to my wife, who is a connessiuer of these things.  They don't cater to DW--I don't know if any of the staff have even heard of it--but it's a cool place nonetheless.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 06:04:35 pm »
Well, it took you about a year to find us/a few players.  Patience paid off in this case!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:02 pm »
Haha! Yes it did.  I was getting a little frustrated back then.  A lot of people at Gamer's Haven had fleets, but didn't play.

But, I think it all turned out fine.  :)