Author Topic: The New Factional make up  (Read 1538 times)

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
The New Factional make up
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:23:19 pm »
Found this on facebook, thought it might be of interest - drawn from the new forums movement of official threads.

Latin alliance is currently France, Italy, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Chile and SUSA.

Ottoman Sultanate has some interesting choices - Turks, Egyptians and Greeks

Prussian Imperium is the old PE, Danish and Teutonic order,

The Union has absorbed the Honourable Eclipse Company

Russian Commonwealth has the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Kingdom of Romania and Back Wolf to its name.

The Covenant still stands alone

The Celestial Empire now includes the Chinese Federation

The Crown gets KOB, free Australians, Dominion of Canada, Raj, East India Merchant company, with no royal Australia

So what does this mean?  No mercs currently as their own thing, no Japanese empire in South America, and no free Hellenic kingdom.

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: The New Factional make up
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 01:28:00 pm »
Hate the regional consolidation
Each should have 2-3 warring factions

For instance:

Thoughts to share with Warcradle

I. Dystopian Age: an excellent term to describe the setting. All corners of the globe should be under tension and conflicts rather than being under regional hegemony (PLC+ Russia, China+Japan).  Think global (domination) by acting locally (conquering your neighbors).

II. Release rules for DA: Fleet Battles. Have pdf available (for free?)

III. Release campaign books with fluff along with naval and air list ( at least until DA: Armor Clash is released). Would charge for pdf if pdf is released. Each has three factions vying for power and dominance.

• Book 1: Western Europe: France, Prussia, and UK.

• Book 2: America: FSA (USA+Canada+northern Mexico), CoA (Covenant of America using existing CoA models; relocate the Vault to be Inca or Mayan; geographic southern Mexico, Central America, Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile), and CSA (Confederated South America using current eclipse company air models but will need new naval models; geographic Venezuela, Brazil, and Argentina).

• Book 3: East Asia: China, Japan, and Korea+Manchuria (will need new models) or Russia ( instead of Korea)

• Book 4: Northern Europe: Scandinavia (use danish naval and air models), polish-Lithuania, and Russia

• Book 5. Southern Europe: Italy+Greece, Balkan Kingdoms/Hapsburg Empire (use black wolf models), and Ottoman Empire (needs air models).

• Book 6. South Asia: India Raj, Greater Australia (needs air models; use Canadian land models), and the Caliphate (using Egyptian models)

IV.  Release rules for DA: Armor Clash. Unless the lack of success of spartan’s version is confirmed to be the lack of infantry models, I would not embark on an entirely new range of 10 mm models. The current models with better rules and empowering small tank token with infantry powers may suffice.  I think it just needs better rules.

V.  Update campaign books with army lists along with necessary land models for all the factions. I would definitely sell these as either v1.5 and would sell the pdf army lists as well. Free rules, every thing else charge.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:14:54 pm by Fracas »
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 05:46:01 pm »
Fracas get yourself hired by WC, your ideas sound much better than what I have heard so far.

It annoys me as a geographical consolidation sounds like a game of risk where no one dares attack one another rather than a wargame setting, and the video suggests the global war has been lowered to a proxy war.  But if its a proxy war why would you send battleships against one another?  And it is a real pity to move to amalgamate with WWX has removed the excellent Franco Campaign books from continuity.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:52:18 pm by RuleBritannia »

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 06:05:28 pm »
Fracas does have a great plan here and i think it's a lot closer to the original in style if not the substance.

I really think Warcradle are aiming to capitalize on what's popular at the moment in gaming, notably Cold War Era gaming with Team Yankee and so forth, and while that might be a move that some people will welcome - Most especially those who previously criticized DW for being too much like World War Two in political alignment and operation - it doesn't seem to sit right with the background aspects of the original game. Of course, that game is pretty much gone as Warcradle are now determined to leave their mark on it ( Although it seems more like they are using DW to shore up WWX by all the changes being made, which are more to bring the former background into alignment with the latter ).

Also, the worrying thing for DW players is how the Warcradle staff seem to lack a lot of knowledge about naval gaming, specifically logistics and tactics . . .

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 10:18:25 pm »
Thanks!

I tried on their forum without success; even with a commercial context.
WC seems fairly defensive about their fluff.
Take their celestial empire; United but with potential for internal shooting conflicts?
Might as well have separate factions, especially with models specific rules.
I guess they can go the infinity route with subfaction/ sectorial army lists.
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:14:41 am »
Book 1: Western Europe; F&FL (fluff and force list) France, KoB, Prussia. Conflict detailed: Spain’s civil war, invasion of the Low Countries, commerce raiders on shipping to GB.

Book 2: America: F&FL for FSA, CoA, SUSA. Conflict detailed: FSA v CoA in north Mexico, island hopping in the Caribbean, invasion of errs while neutral Venezuela by SUSA and CoA; allusion to France support for Quebec and Russian aspirations from Alaska.

Book 3: East Asia: F&FL for China, Japan, and Korea. Conflicts detailed: the winter war in Manchuria (including Russia), siege of Singapore, battles for the Philippine.

Book 4: Northern Europe; F&FL for Russia, Scandinavia and PLC. Conflicts detailed: battles for Finland, border skirmishes between PLC and Russia, and naval passages out of the Baltic; allusions to Prussian designs for the region.

Book 5: Southern Europe; F&FL for LoIS, Ottoman and Hapsburg Empires. Conflicts detailed: Ottomans v Hapsburg in Bulgaria, LoIS material support for Greece’s rebellion, Hapsburg desires and actions for a nonAdriatic port; comments on France and KoB in the west Mediterranean and Egypt in the East.

Book 6: South Asia: F&FL for Raj, Egypt (with Sudan, Arabia and Ethiopia?) and Free Australia. Conflicts detailed: island hoping in Indonesia, battles in the Horn of Africa among Egypt, Raj, and Ottomans, and military expeditions in Southeast Asia (including Chinese).

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 01:30:41 am »
Thanks!

I tried on their forum without success; even with a commercial context.
WC seems fairly defensive about their fluff.
Take their celestial empire; United but with potential for internal shooting conflicts?
Might as well have separate factions, especially with models specific rules.
I guess they can go the infinity route with subfaction/ sectorial army lists.

The concept isn’t too far fetched to me...even under the old Daw fluff, there was mention of Imperial Bond and Grand Alliance powers occasionally coming to blows!

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 08:13:14 am »
It's the constant shift to origin stories that is frustrating, especially as it was framed as to the advantage of WWX that the wargame isn't set in a war.  It makes very little sense for the massed, pitched naval and land battles people play for a proxy war, and their logic of a shooting war automatically becoming an apocalyptic world shattering one is one that Spartan themselves did not ascribe to, with a period between 1868-1871 seeing a gradual intensification that allowed large battles in active warzones and smaller skirmishes in less intense areas or seasons. 

The biggest problem for me as a fluff fan is the almagation that erodes the feel of both games, whilst model wise the overly detailed models look too baroque for steampunk or massed produced warfare, but as always that is more a very subjective matter of taste.