Author Topic: Russians sigthted!  (Read 3915 times)

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:37:35 am by MadDrB »

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Russians sigthted!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:08:47 pm »
Very interesting design; the keyhole-shaped hulls are very distinctive! I'll definitely be picking up at least the starter box ;).

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:46:45 pm »
No, say it isn't so Andy... :)

I have to admit, when I saw the computer renderings on Tabletop Wargaming News earlier today, I wasn't much impressed.  But seeing them all painted up and deployed, I think they look pretty good.  I'd like to see some close-ups of the bombers--not sure where the cockpit is.  They remind me of the sentinel machines from The Matrix, but a little bit shorter.  The fighters look a little bit like older MiGs.

The frigates are unique; I almost wish they were skimmers, but maybe they'll get 360-degree movement (like the tiny fliers) due to their shape.

One thing, though:  I notice that some of these models, like the battleship, have the faction logo molded onto the side.  I've noticed the same thing on my French Tourbillon airship and Couronne carrier.  This seems to be something that Spartan just decided to do, but I wish the had done that with some of models from the other factions.  Or did they, and I'm just missing it?  Maybe it's because I play FSA--there are stars on a few models (the Enterprise dreadnought and the Savannah sky fortress and the John Henry), but the stars are "plain" looking, so I never thought of them as specific faction identification for the FSA.  Maybe it's just that the other factions have more elaborate designs.  Maybe I'm just nuts.

So Andy--I'm no naval engineer, but I would think that ships like these Russian cruisers and battleships, with a part of the hull that sticks out (the "keyhole" shape), would be slower due to the hull not being streamlined.  Thoughts?
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 06:47:18 pm »

One thing, though:  I notice that some of these models, like the battleship, have the faction logo molded onto the side.  I've noticed the same thing on my French Tourbillon airship and Couronne carrier.  This seems to be something that Spartan just decided to do, but I wish the had done that with some of models from the other factions.

This is a more recent trend, near as I can tell. None of the models from the first 4 starter boxes had insignia on them, near as I can tell. As you pointed out, they started cropping up on the upgrade models (as a further example, the Metzger has an Iron Cross on his forehead!), and the newer fleets now seem to have them as standard. If you were of a mind too, it looks like it would be fairly easy to remove the icon from the BB in the picture, as it is on a fairly smooth area of the hull.

So Andy--I'm no naval engineer, but I would think that ships like these Russian cruisers and battleships, with a part of the hull that sticks out (the "keyhole" shape), would be slower due to the hull not being streamlined.  Thoughts?

Most likely, though it would be hard to say for sure without seeing the underwater hull shape. In general, though, pretty much all of the DW ships are hydrodynamic disasters anyway (a trait shared by most real life Victorian-era warships), so I'm not sure it really matters :).

Mezegis

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:09:00 pm »
I would think the cockpits of the sentinals would be that eye like thing on the front.  Definately interesting designs.  What would be amazing, is if all the centers of the round spots, ( IE entire frigate, towers part of the cruiser and BB) would have 360 turrets and just swivel all over the place.

I suppose the Frigates having 360 movement could be interesting, especially since the guns look like they are fixed channel.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:20 pm »

Well, I actually like the raised faction logo--just wish they'd done it more prominently earlier.  But no matter.  They're still darn good looking models.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Camthalion

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 11:27:35 am »
very nice painting .  Interesting designs of the vessels

Syroc

• Ensign
  • I'll shoot my swords from my bows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 01:10:36 pm »
I wonder what kind of firing arc the two side turrets on the battleship have. I want to say it's 180 because they remind me of the beam turrets on the Britannian dreadnought but with that huge hunk of metal behind thetogged would be hard pressed to aim backwards.
Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.

The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Alice: How do you know I'm mad?

The Cat: You must be. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:15 pm »
In general, though, pretty much all of the DW ships are hydrodynamic disasters anyway (a trait shared by most real life Victorian-era warships), so I'm not sure it really matters :).

"Hydrodynamic disasters" is my new most favorite phrase.  It sounds like a name for an '80s metal cover band with a drummer from Prague, a guitarist from West Berlin, and a lead singer from London.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:42:05 pm by MadDrB »

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »
I really like the look of the gunships: