Author Topic: Aerial Bundle!  (Read 4240 times)

orangetom

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Aerial Bundle!
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:10:51 pm »

Syroc

• Ensign
  • I'll shoot my swords from my bows.
    • View Profile
Re: Aerial Bundle!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »
Soon my dominance over the air shall be complete.

Yesyesyesyesyesyes. I almost feel bad for my wallet for already ordering a Gewitterwolke. Almost.
Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.

The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Alice: How do you know I'm mad?

The Cat: You must be. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:17 pm »
When I first heard that each nation was going to get Small Fliers, I thought running an all aerial game would be fun.

I have to say, though--FSA fliers are fragile.  None of my flying models has any shielding whatsoever (compare that to the CoA medium and large flyers, and I think even their flying carrier).  If I was going to field an all-aerial force, it would probably have to consist of 2 Valley-class ships, at least 2 full-strength squadrons (4 airships apiece) of Lee-class ships, 2-3 full strength squadrons of the FSA small fliers, 1 Savannah-class flying carrier, and a few wings of tiny flier fighters.  Without all the figures in front of me, I'd guess that would round out an 800-1000 point all-aerial force.

I don't have all of the models listed above, or those quantities.  But, of course, I'm ready and willing to throw down with what I do have.  :D  If anyone's up for an all-aerial game, let me know. 
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

orangetom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:15 am »
The FSA's Small flying robots, look like they are gonna deal some damage, they are the only ones I know of with two weapon loadouts, for you are looking at each robot shooting a combined 4 ad per model, and in a group of I believe 4, you are looking at a total attack pool of ten, that's alot of ad for that.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:35:28 pm »
The FSA's Small flying robots, look like they are gonna deal some damage, they are the only ones I know of with two weapon loadouts, for you are looking at each robot shooting a combined 4 ad per model, and in a group of I believe 4, you are looking at a total attack pool of ten, that's alot of ad for that.
That's good...right now the only long-range weaponry that FSA aerial forces have is rockets.  A squadron of 4 Lee-class airships can put out 11 AD of rockets at RB3 (none at RB4), and the Valley-class can put out 10 AD of rockets at RB3 (again, nothing at RB4).  But against shielded ships, my rockets have to get through AA fire AND shields, usually leaving not enough hits to even cause 1HP of damage to the target.  Both the Lees and the Valley have a pretty good broadside at RB1, but they would have to survive closing the distance to use it, and in my experience by the time they get in range to use a good broadside, they've been damaged enough that it isn't effectual.

However, playing an all-aerial game, maybe we'd use a smaller board?

This is just my experience.  As you all know, my dice rarely if ever show up for the game that I'm playing, and my opponents usually roll 6's for their AA against my rockets.  This is a fact that I've come to accept over the past several months.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:11 pm »
It might be interesting, in an all-air game, to have all airships running obscured until they maneuver and close....

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:52:03 pm »
That does sound interesting.  So, when would you become unobscured?  RB2?  That rule would do well for my FSA, but what about your Japanese?  Do your rocket AD tail off at the closer range bands like mine do?

I also think that at the end of each turn, one player would roll a direction dice and all ships medium class and below would have to move 2" in that direction for windshear.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 09:17:29 pm »
That does sound interesting.  So, when would you become unobscured?  RB2?  That rule would do well for my FSA, but what about your Japanese?  Do your rocket AD tail off at the closer range bands like mine do?

I also think that at the end of each turn, one player would roll a direction dice and all ships medium class and below would have to move 2" in that direction for windshear.

I prefer to play my Imperials at range, because of the increased Attack Dice for rockets at the longer range bands.

I've played Uncharted Seas with swift current which affected ships by moving them 2" at the end of each turn, threatening to smach them into terrain if players weren't careful.  Strong wind could do something the equivalent to air craft; I believe the reason the United States ceased development of lighter-than-air craft due to accidents in strong winds at sea.

Syroc

• Ensign
  • I'll shoot my swords from my bows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:28:26 pm »
I think that all models should roll to see if they're effected by the wind and the larger the model the less likely they are to be effected. We could say that tiny fliers would be moved on a 5 or less, small models would be effected on fours and down, and so on and do on until massive models need to roll a one to be moved. They, if moved, the model would have to roll to see how badly they would be blown off course and see if they're still facing the right direction.
Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.

The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Alice: How do you know I'm mad?

The Cat: You must be. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 11:22:01 pm »
I think that all models should roll to see if they're effected by the wind and the larger the model the less likely they are to be effected. We could say that tiny fliers would be moved on a 5 or less, small models would be effected on fours and down, and so on and do on until massive models need to roll a one to be moved. They, if moved, the model would have to roll to see how badly they would be blown off course and see if they're still facing the right direction.
That's alot of dice rolling...although I do like the idea of different size classes having a better chance of not moving.

I would suggest a combination of our ideas:  movement from windshear would be based on a 1D6 roll, and the chances of the ship moving would be as you described above.  However, if the dice says they move, then they move--standard 2", in the direction rolled on the directional dice, no matter what size class the ship is.  It's not totally realistic (but then, neither is a zeppelin with a flight deck on top of it), but otherwise it might get a little too complicated.

Just my $0.02.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 01:38:54 am »
Hey, I might just convert some of you DW players over to playing Uncharted Seas where wind direction is actually a factor in game play....

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »
This seems like a pretty good deal for those that don't have the models yet! I doubt that air games will be as popular as naval games, for the same reason that land battles are not as popular; a lack of model variety. Including the bombers and the new small flyers, there are still only 5-6 flying model types.

When I first heard that each nation was going to get Small Fliers, I thought running an all aerial game would be fun.

I have to say, though--FSA fliers are fragile.  None of my flying models has any shielding whatsoever (compare that to the CoA medium and large flyers, and I think even their flying carrier).

That is not a unique condition for the FSA, though. AFAIK, the only two flyers that have shields are the CoA, and they do pay a little bit of a points premium for the privilege.