Author Topic: Historicon  (Read 5618 times)

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Historicon
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:39:32 pm »
Of course, I'm planning to attend Historicon this summer since it's practically in my own back yard.  And, of course, I'm now thinking about running a demo game of Uncharted Seas or Dystopian Wars.  I've already started the registration to run an event.  Of course, I'm leaning toward running the demo games for Uncharted Seas (I have 4 painted fleets now), but I could be convinced to run DW if I had another painted fleet to borrow or another assistant....

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Historicon
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:17:09 pm »
Well, I know that Greg/Landlubber has mentioned that he was planning on going to Historicon...if he ever gets around to joining up here, maybe you can co-opt him  ;D.

orangetom

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »
Where is Historicon?, and when, I might be able to help out

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:59:44 am »
Short answer? July 19-22 in Fredricksburg. Here is the link to the event:

http://www.historicon.org/

It is one of the largest miniatures war gaming events out there, one of 3 put on by the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society (HGMS). The other two are called Fall In and Cold Wars, and usually take place in the fall or spring, respectively. As the name suggests, it is primarily historically focused (Napoleonics, American Civil War, WW II, etc), but from what I've heard it is encompassing enough that a few non-historical games like DW are played on the margins.

I've never been to a HGMS con, but I've heard they are great, and the guys coming back from them tell great stories of excellent deals to be found in the Flea Market section ;).

orangetom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:00:36 pm »
Okay, then I shall take off for the sat., I believe that's when you planned on doing the demo, if so I can help out with that.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:27:01 pm »
All right, I filled out the official registration.  And I sent an email to Spartan asking for some promotional flyer PDF, etc.

Now, I think I have a good demo game scenario to run for up to 4 players for 1 hour at a time, and I'm working on some good terrain, but I'm going to need help with painted models.  I only have models painted for the EBS, but I can probably have my FSA models painted by July (and, at the rate I'm going, I may have a French fleet painted by then), but I'm aiming for 4 factions represented, and I confident that Kyle will allow me to borrow his CoA fleet models as well.  But if any of the local guys can help with a model loan (and you don't mind the thought of complete strangers handling your ships) I'm basically looking at 1 battleship, 2 cruisers and 3 frigates/corvettes for each player in the demo games.

RandomBrit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:54:53 pm »
I have no problem letting you guys borrow my prussians to help with the demo.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:45:48 am »
I'm looking at setting up a 4x4 foot table space with each player's force deploying within a semi-circular zone effectively 8" from the respective corner.  But I'm also thinking about making 1/4 of the space land and placing 1 armored force in one corner with 3 naval forces in the other 3 corners.  The objective would be to control the lighthouse at the very center of the board (which is also, for ease of acces for the armored forces, at the end of a narrowing penninsula), and I think it would also provide a good opportunity to demonstrate the interaction between land and naval forces in the game.

So, I'm planning to set up my EBS land and naval forces, directly opposite each other, and then two naval forces from other factions (FSA & Prussian) in the other two corners.

Yes, thanks for the offer, RandomBrit, for the loan of some of your Prussian ships.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:21:25 pm »
I'll be at Historicon this year--just reserved my hotel room for Friday night (since parking is going to be a nightmare, I'm coming down early in the morning on Friday, and going home Saturday night).  I've been to the con a couple of times, and yes they do run games that are other than "historical" games, although the historical-themed games far outnumber the non-historical.  I've seen Lord of the Rings games, Battlestar Galactica games, and they also always run a Battletech grinder (in addition to more advanced Battletech games).  If you've never been to the con, it's pretty awesome.  They also have a helluva flea market--if you're looking for armies for different war games, or old models, or military history books, or military memorabilia, check out the flea market.  And they carry all sorts of variety--I got a 1/350 scale NX-01 Enterprise from the Star Trek Enterprise TV show for 45 bucks a few years back.  They'll also have a dealer hall.

Aaron, I'd be glad to help out with the DW table.  I promise I'll get as much of my FSA painted as possible.  I also (gasp) just picked up the French starter set, so maybe I can bring those as well.

Keep me posted on your plans.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 08:16:11 am »
If parking is going to be a challenge then that just reinforces my decision to use a sheet for the table and limited terrain.

As for borrowing ships from other players:  I don't need much, just a battleship, pair of cruisers, and 3 frigates.  And definitely keep in mind that 3 or 4 complete strangers may be handling them during the event, so don't loan me your favorite dreadnought!  I'm also going to have an information area on the table for flyers and display models.

Spartan is sending me a poster and some flyers, so our table should look great.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:00:58 pm »
Aaron-

This is their first year in Fredericksburg, but from my past experience attending Historicon, it's best to show up early in the day--like 0800 or before, I think--to find parking.

My hotel is adjacent to the convention center--not sure when you're running the games, but you're welcome to store the materials in my hotel room or my car ahead of time if that would be easier.  I could even get the materials from you the weekend before and just bring them with me on Friday morning--that way you wouldn't have to worry about parking in orbit somewhere AND schlepping all the stuff in to the convention site.  I'll probably check in to the hotel sometime on Friday afternoon--the event list won't be out for another couple of weeks, and I'll be using that to plan my days there.

The offer is on the table--any way I can help, just let me know.

Also, as a side note--if you plan to come to the con, bring cash.  More than likely the ATM's will run out very quickly at the site and probably at every gas station/store within several blocks.  I learned this the hard way the first time I attended. Keep in mind that this is a HUGE convention, and with it being in Fredericksburg this year instead of way out in Lancaster, there may be even more people attending--and I think Saturday is probably the highest attendance day anyway.  Expect 3000-4000 people on Saturday--just a guess based on observation.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 11:57:03 pm »
Looks like the PEL (Preliminary Events List) is out for Historicon 2012; go to www.historicon.org and click the PEL link on the left hand side.

Aaron's DW game will start at 8 AM on Saturday; there looks to be two other DW games, one on Thursday at 10 AM (T-328 in the PEL) and one on Friday at 9 AM (F-331 in the PEL); these are both run by someone else, and the game description makes them sound like they are not introductory games.

Aaron, again, whatever assistance you need, let me know.  I'll probably be at the convention center by 8 AM on Friday, and will leave later in the evening on Saturday--probably around 8-9 PM.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 01:37:13 am »
I wonder who is running those other games?  I posted on the Spartan forum about running games at Historicon, received absolutely no responses, and I'm in contact with most of the DW players in the region.  When I wrote to Spartan with a request for their blessing there was no indication of anyone else running games at this event....

Well, I think I have the better time slot for running demo games.  I appreciate everyone's offer for assistance.  Right now I just need to work on getting my play mat and terrain put together.

Wait, that Friday game is hosted by Larry Bond.  You think it's any chance this is the Larry Bond, the guy that designed Harpoon which I spent too many hours playing back in high school?

Thanks for the post, Landlubber, and the offer for help.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:46:01 am by MadDrB »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 09:29:51 am »
No worries Aaron.  I don't know who Larry Bond is, so I can't say if he's the guy you're talking about or not.

I'll probably swing by his table on Friday morning just to check it out.  I'm going to pre-register for a couple of Battlestar Galactica-themed games on Friday evening and Saturday around noon.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59:00 am »
Saturday afternoon I intend to paricipate in a game of Perfidious Albion which features pre-dreadnought ships in 1/2400 scale during the Russo-Japanese War.  Just before that gets started and after I pack up my DW material, I hope to at least catch glimpses of both a game of Close Action (age-of-sail) and Victory at Sea (WWI).  There's also a game of Napoleon at War which I must admit I have a sneaking interest in just walking past quite slowly between naval games.  Really, I think I'll have my fill of model ships by the end of Saturday.