Author Topic: Denver Area Gamers Scheduling Thread  (Read 124497 times)

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Denver Area Gamers Scheduling Thread
« Reply #825 on: March 07, 2018, 06:38:43 pm »
I'll bring Armada.  I have read through the rules.  Once.  Months ago.  I'll try to reread them before Sunday, no guarantees, but I'm sure we'll wing it on Sunday Dale.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 07, 2018, 09:57:55 pm »
Like I said, if we need to we can use a couple of the board/card gaming tables pushed together. The guy at the store said that was no problem. I've never seen all of those tables in use on a Sunday anyway...the ones down towards the other end of the store (close to the bathroom) are almost always not in use.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

warhawk

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 10, 2018, 08:11:59 pm »
As of right now I should be able to make it. Can bring my armada with and can learn right along with everyone else.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 14, 2018, 06:11:24 pm »
As of right now I should be able to make it. Can bring my armada with and can learn right along with everyone else.

Very cool. I'll try to re-learn the rules from the FFG site.

Also, dibs on the Rebels :-)

I'll also bring X-Wing in case there's time for a 2nd round of games.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

warhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 15, 2018, 08:58:44 am »
Bah.. ok ill play the good guys then ;D have to pick up more of them anyways to get a proper list for them.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 18, 2018, 10:35:59 pm »
Many thanks to Warhawk, BrdingPrty, Dakkar, MarkyMark, and Zorper for a fun games day at Collectormania today! Warhawk, BrdingPrty, Dakkar, and MarkyMark played a couple games of Star Wars: Armada, while Zorper had a pretty good game of Halo: Ground Command.

From what I gathered, the SW:A game was a teaching/learning game for just about all involved, but all seemed to enjoy it and I think a few ships were purchased before the day was through.

MarkyMark and BrdingPrty both told me this counts as showing up to play with painted miniatures. I guess, TECHNICALLY, they're correct.  :D

I haven't had a chance to play this game yet, but it does look pretty cool on the tabletop. Might have to give it a go sometime.

On the other table, my UNSC was squaring off with Zorper's Covenant in a "Take and Hold" scenario:

Essentially, we both had a large bunker placed in our respective deployment areas. This was our opponents' objective--6VP per turn if they could occupy it. Getting there, of course, was quite hazardous, especially for my UNSC infantry which had to dodge indirect fire from the Covenant Wraith tanks (mostly unsuccessfully). There were also two smaller bunkers worth 2VP per turn along the centerline of the battlefield. I rushed Spartan Rogers-341 up quickly and was able to take one, while a Covenant infantry unit grabbed the other.

Pro tip: don't let Hunters charge your Scorpion. Like, EVER.

Then they set their sights on this poor infantry unit. It wasn't pretty.

After changing out his Battle Rifle for a Spartan Laser and handing control of the bunker over to an infantry unit, Spartan Rogers-341 made a mad dash for the objective bunker in the Covenant deployment zone...

He took some damage dealing with a Hunter along the way, but was able to charge the bunker and eject the Covenant troops inside!

But then...

In undoubtedly the most cinematic moment of the game, one of the Covenant Wraiths turned it's massive weaponry on the bunker, and Spartan Rogers-341 FAILED HIS SAVING ROLL.

This was, of course, the last turn of the game. To be honest, though, even if Rogers-341 had been able to hold the bunker, UNSC losses would have still ensured defeat.

It wasn't a close game, but dang it was fun, as usual. Zorper and I have yet to play a game of Ground Command that is a runaway victory on either side. Usually a nail-biter down to the end.

I'm planning our next games day back at Collectormania on 15 April. Will try to get our standard two 4x6 tables. Come out and join us if you can!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:43:16 pm by Landlubber »

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 19, 2018, 11:38:53 pm »
Dakkar!  Don't know if the grapevine made it to you, but we ended up taking out both the Imperial and Victory Star Destroyers!  Our MC80 Cruiser lived on to fight another day!  Thanks Warhawk for letting us use your models and test your Rebel build.  I particular enjoyed General Dodanna's ability to pick which crits you took!

Looking forward to playing this more.

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 19, 2018, 11:39:38 pm »
Greg/Todd, was your Halo game part of your campaign?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 19, 2018, 11:48:23 pm »
Greg/Todd, was your Halo game part of your campaign?

No, this was a standalone game. Quickdraw (Chris) and I are going through the Jubilee III Sigma campaign, not Tod and I. Although he and I have discussed getting a Ground Command campaign going at some point...

warhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 20, 2018, 01:02:32 am »
was alot of fun finally being able to play SW:A even if it was against the list I wrote up and wanted to play with for the longest time lol. Even when it all looked really bleak at the start for the rebels they turned around blew up the raider, and then shortly after the Imperial class Star Destroyer. After some dogfighting with all of the fighters imperials coming out with a couple of Tie Defenders left over.

The rebels just had a MC-80 and a CR-90 left against a full health Victory class Star Destroyer and Gozanti-Cruiser. The MC-80 took out the Victory without any issues at all. Leading to the rebels getting the win for the day.

Overall alot of fun even with a quick put together list for the imperials. Next time might not be so lucky for the rebel scum :D

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 20, 2018, 01:05:53 pm »
Dakkar!  Don't know if the grapevine made it to you, but we ended up taking out both the Imperial and Victory Star Destroyers!  Our MC80 Cruiser lived on to fight another day!  Thanks Warhawk for letting us use your models and test your Rebel build.  I particular enjoyed General Dodanna's ability to pick which crits you took!
Looking forward to playing this more.

YAY REBs!
And double thanks to Warhawk, indeed!

For next time, I'm happy to switch to Imperials - they'll probably be my go-to (as in X-Wing and soon to be for Legion). We might look to do two tables as well, especially if I can get my starter box and few extras. Maybe hook Greg in... or Stephan
It was nice to read through rules more later too, and figure out stuff that was confusing me.

One thing we did wrong - Squadrons move OR shoot (not both) UNLESS they're activated by Command Dial or have the "Rogue" ability. Speaking of which, the Rogues and Bounty Hunters pack is awesome. 4 Rebel "1-ship squadrons" including Han Solo's Falcon; and 4 Imperial Squadrons, mainly the 4 signature "we don't need their scum" Bounty Hunters. And generic versions of each ship.

I'm busy recruiting possible opponents down here too now. :-)

warhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 20, 2018, 03:54:27 pm »
Yea was reading more last night and we did quote a few things wrong lol. Like can only shoot with a ship twice. Once from 2 different arcs or twice from the same on 2 different units.  Then there is crits where you only get one face up crit card no matter how many crits you roll. And then shooting at squadrons where crits don't count for anything.

I am sure there are a handful of other small things we missed to. But will be alot more versed for next time.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 21, 2018, 12:04:21 pm »
Yea was reading more last night and we did quote a few things wrong lol. Like can only shoot with a ship twice. Once from 2 different arcs or twice from the same on 2 different units.  Then there is crits where you only get one face up crit card no matter how many crits you roll.

Single crit makes sense, and makes General D seem more reasonable.

When you fire two arcs at one target, is it resolved as two attacks or one combined?

warhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 21, 2018, 08:31:26 pm »
It is 2 separate shots. For a ship you get to make 2 shooting actions. With either being a choice between ship or squadrons.

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 22, 2018, 11:30:02 pm »
At least we did stuff wrong together.  I'll have to do some reading over the rules a few times...  Meanwhile my Profundity, Chimera and a few other ships showed up yesterday.  Darn you guys for making me play and liking it enough to fill out my fleets! I think between Warhawk and me, we should be able to field some pretty impressive fleets for both sides. 

If we play a few more games (and enjoy them with the REAL rules), I might get the Correllian Conflict campaign expansion.  Maybe we could swing the campaign?