Author Topic: Denver Area Gamers Scheduling Thread  (Read 126097 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: Denver Area Gamers Scheduling Thread
« Reply #675 on: March 08, 2017, 12:09:22 pm »
I just ordered the new battleships for Prussians and Blazing Sun, and got an idea for May:

Dystopian Wars - A Bridge Too Far

-- Someone get's a 2ft or bigger bridge model. Place it between some jutting land bits about 2/3rds down the board lengthwise.
-- Defender(s) get 2/3rds pts of the attackers
-- Defender(s) may use any mix of Air, land and Sea.
-- Defender models may deploy up to halfway on the board lengthwise. Land models may deploy on the peninsulas or the bridge.

-- Attacker(s) deploy 18" from far board edge, all Naval or Air.
-- Attacker's get first turn.

THE BRIDGE:
-- The Bridge must have 2-3 support pillars clearly indicated. Each pillar is DR 8, CR 13, and 13 HP with Ablative.
-- LOS to a Support Pillar may be blocked by any Massive Model at Surface level
-- Land Models on the Bridge itself benefit from its height and massive construction. Those which do not move gain +8" to RB1 (i.e. Short is 0-16". Med is 16-24 and so on) and fire with no RB1 penalties even at Flyers. Further, they have LOS over any surface model.

Victory: If the Attackers destroy one or more pillars, they win.
At the start of Turn 6 and subsequent turns, roll one die to end the game on a 4+. If the Attackers do not succeed by game end, or the end of Turn 8, the Defenders win.

Thoughts?
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 08, 2017, 11:17:35 pm »
I like the scenario. Anyone got a bridge we could use? Or does anyone have the stuff to cobble one together before May?

As far as the April date...the third Sunday of the month is the 16th, but that's also Easter. I also recommend we shift the April meetup to either the 9th or 23rd due to the religious observance that day. If we do it on the 9th, I will not be able to make it. The 23rd is iffy, but much more doable than the 9th.

Sticking with the "third Sunday" schedule that we discussed a few months ago, the May meetup would be the 21st, and the June meetup would be 18th.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 09, 2017, 12:36:43 pm »
23rd should be best for me too. I'll plan for Firestorm.

May 21st and June 18th are penciled in. may would be the DW scenario if folks want.
June could be HALO, or Planetfall.

All at Collectormania, or one at the Haven?

I should probably consider a Tourney or formal-event something this summer as well.  But for which game? I have the impression the most people play Dystopian Wars...

zorper

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 09, 2017, 12:56:00 pm »
I can bring a bridge made of my Deadzone terrain, but I don't know if I've got two feet worth and it does not look steampunky.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 09, 2017, 02:26:23 pm »
I can bring a bridge made of my Deadzone terrain, but I don't know if I've got two feet worth and it does not look steampunky.

I seem to recall that Rob has a bridge type structure in the Haven reserved terrain. Let me check on that.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:38 pm »
I just called Collectormania...no other major events besides a standard Magic tournament (of course) on the 19th, so we're good to go for two 4x6 tables that day. I'll be there at 1100.

@Dakkar, regarding the April, May, and June dates...I always plan these for Collectormania, trying to stick with the "same Sunday, same location" mantra to make it easier for people to plan. Collectormania is also a good midway point for the Denver and Springs gamers. And to be honest, it's just easier to get tables at Collectormania on the weekend.

I love the Haven, it's a great store, but they are so busy now that they have scheduled game days every day of the week. While I've not yet had a problem getting one table on a Sunday for something Spartan, I feel that I've just been lucky....all it takes is some new historical gaming release, or for all the historical gamers to show up, and we won't get even one table, let alone two. That's nothing against the historical gamers--Sunday is Historicals at the Haven. And that's nothing against the Haven either--they are so popular that they have to "direct traffic", so to speak. Not a bad problem for them to have, but it also kind of shoehorns players into playing their game only on that game's allotted day/night, and it's impossible to predict when everyone who plays that system will show up. The staff is pretty good about accommodating people who are playing a game that is different than what is scheduled for that day, but if all the tables fill up with games that are already scheduled for that day, there isn't much they can do. Which, again, is understandable.

But it all adds up to making it unpredictable, and Collectormania is more predictable.

All that being said...if you wanted to put on a tournament at the Haven, that would be a little different from our monthly meet-ups, I think. At least it is in my mind. And it would be better to hold a tournament at a store that supports the game--Collectormania is happy to give us space, but they don't carry any Spartan products, nor do their distributors (as far as I know). The Haven does.

All just my $0.02, of course. And I'm certainly not the one in charge.  ;)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 10, 2017, 02:10:48 pm »
I kinda like heading up there anyways on Sundays - its a nice drive and I get to see other stores :-)

Greg - please check and see if they have any good bridge type terrain when you're up there next. I seem to recall they had very nice 40K terrain. there might be something we can rescale , even if not 2ft long. :-)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 13, 2017, 09:45:05 pm »
Yep, I'll take a look and see what they've got.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:45 pm »
So...who's coming on the 19th, and what games are you wanting to play?

I'll be there when they open at 1100 with Dystopian Wars and both factions for Halo Dirt Fight. Will also bring whatever terrain I can for both games. Happy to play either game. We have two 4x6' tables reserved for the day.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 14, 2017, 10:14:39 pm »
I'm still hoping to be there. Some family stuff has been scheduled of course, but we'll see.
I'd like to play some Halo of either persuasion. Fleet Battles hasn't seen the table in awhile, still need to get more games of Ground Command in though.

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 15, 2017, 12:11:41 am »
I'll swing by at 11. Family will dictate how long I can stay.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 15, 2017, 10:48:00 am »
If no one shows for my KoboldCon event, I'll still have time to drive up :-) So I'll pack in DW stuff just in case.

warhawk

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 15, 2017, 10:24:30 pm »
pending any wife things ill be there can bring some more brits in again.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 17, 2017, 08:16:36 pm »
Excellent! Looking forward to rolling some dice with you guys!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 21, 2017, 09:26:07 pm »
Thanks to everyone who was able to make it to Collectormania on Sunday! Zorper showed McKinstry the ropes in an introductory game of Halo Dirt Fight, while Warhawk and I had a Dystopian Wars rematch--his KoB and my FSA. We both achieved half of our field orders, but he sank WAY more of my ships than I did of his, so the day belonged to the Brits. Lots and lots of ramming from his subs...

I'm having some sync issues between my phone and computer, so I can't post any pics, but it was a good day of gaming.

I won't be available for gaming during April until the last weekend of the month, so I will turn over planning for the April game day to someone else.