Author Topic: Denver Area Gamers Scheduling Thread  (Read 125158 times)

warhawk

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Denver Area Gamers Scheduling Thread
« Reply #840 on: March 23, 2018, 01:25:14 am »
Yea I know I'm going to be fleshing out the rebel side for sure to field a couple different fleets.

Was also thinking of ways to tie armada, xwing and legion into a larger campaign. But haven't really figured out a good way to do it just yet.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 23, 2018, 03:11:01 pm »
If we play a few more games (and enjoy them with the REAL rules), I might get the Correllian Conflict campaign expansion.  Maybe we could swing the campaign?

I would support this.

And reading the dual Rogues/Bounty Hunters pack again, playing either side would suit me.

Was also thinking of ways to tie armada, xwing and legion into a larger campaign. But haven't really figured out a good way to do it just yet.
I bet Legion prompts some rules for that about 6 months in, or by the time of GenCon events :-)

Since I've done several multi-table events in the past for different systems, I'm sure I could work up something. Mirroring the end of JEDI is the obvious scenario that comes to mind:

Table 1 - Legion - Assault the Shield Generator Bunker. Note: requires Ewoks

Table 2 - Armada  - Assault the Death Star. Note: "It's a Trap!"

Table 3 - X-Wing - Dogfight IN the Death Star, once Shields are down. Note: Requires Nien Nunb

Table 4 - Legion  - Throne Room Battle. Note: Requires Force Lightning Rules
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 24, 2018, 08:53:42 pm »

I've been thinking about this as well. If we REALLY wanted to go detailed, we could pick up the Rebellion board game and use that as the strategic map, so to speak.

I'd be totally onboard trying to set up a campaign linked between Armada, Legion, and X-Wing. The one limiting factor we have right now is number of players with models. I.e., I have plenty of X-Wing, no Armada, and only the Legion starter set. One idea is that we could designate specific players to conduct specific combat--for example, Alex and Mark and myself on the Rebellion side, where Mark is the Armada commander, Alex is the fighter commander, and I'm the ground commander (or something like that), and then there would be three players on the Imperial team as well. Could be really fun. Would probably take months to play, but that's cool.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 25, 2018, 10:04:45 pm »

I've been thinking about this as well. If we REALLY wanted to go detailed, we could pick up the Rebellion board game and use that as the strategic map, so to speak.

I'd be totally onboard trying to set up a campaign linked between Armada, Legion, and X-Wing. The one limiting factor we have right now is number of players with models. I.e., I have plenty of X-Wing, no Armada, and only the Legion starter set. One idea is that we could designate specific players to conduct specific combat--for example, Alex and Mark and myself on the Rebellion side, where Mark is the Armada commander, Alex is the fighter commander, and I'm the ground commander (or something like that), and then there would be three players on the Imperial team as well. Could be really fun. Would probably take months to play, but that's cool.

This could be a really cool event.

warhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 26, 2018, 12:45:35 am »
I am definitely liking the idea of all of this. Like the idea of a commander for each of the game types. I actually just picked up 2 starter boxs and then an airspeeder and at-st so have full teams for both sides of legion now. and will prolly be picking up some more stuff for armada also to have some choices for those as well.

X-wing will be interesting as there is 3 factions. So scum/villany(my only xwing atm) could be bought out for either side to fight for them if we do some sort of system for swaying them.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 26, 2018, 01:41:47 am »
I'm all for this, and I would be happy to play the fighter or the ground commander for either the Rebels or the Imperials. I have quite a bit of X-Wing stuff for both of those factions, and I plan on acquiring more Legion forces for both sides. I do like the idea of "buying" S&V starfighters for those engagements. I don't have anything for Armada and probably won't pick that game up anytime soon, especially now that Legion is on the market.

I was just throwing out the Rebellion board game as an idea; I think we could probably do this campaign without it. But we'd have to figure out how to track the campaign, and what we are fighting for. In the Halo campaign that Quickdraw and I just started, we are fighting over control of a specific system. Whoever controls the majority of the Forerunner sites on each planet controls that planet; whoever controls the majority of the planets in the system controls the system, and thereby wins the campaign.

My mind automatically goes to that model for a campaign (fighting for territory), but there are other ways to do it, other objectives to achieve. I'm more in favor of a campaign that is going on at the same time as the events from the original trilogy, not necessarily taking place in the same location (so no need to make a trench run at the end or anything like that). Star Wars is a big universe (no pun intended), so there could always be Rebel-Imperial conflicts going on in other places, like we saw in Rogue One.

We could also solve the physical models issue by pooling our resources. Like I said, I've got quite a bit of stuff for X-Wing; if I'm not the "fighter commander", I can make up a list of all the stuff I've got so that whoever the fighter commander is can borrow my starfighters to fill in the roster for engagements. We could do the same thing for Legion and Armada.

March is almost over, and April is around the corner. Given that Legion was just released, maybe we could look at starting the campaign in a few months...maybe aim for the first weekend in July? That would give us time to write up the campaign (not an insignificant undertaking, as I've learned here recently), add to our forces (buying, building, and painting), and learn the games a little better (especially Legion, since it's brand-new). We could have a few building/painting days for Legion, get some practice games in for all three games, etc.

warhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 26, 2018, 02:28:11 am »
Totally agree with getting in a few more games between legion and armada at the very least. Then if we do start in say July there will be more stuff for legion which will be nice to have some variety also.

If you have time this next weekend maybe can get in a game or 2 of legion if you want.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 26, 2018, 01:52:40 pm »
I can play on Sunday...does Collectormania work for you, or would you prefer to meet somewhere else? Not sure where you're coming from in the Denver area.

Might have to just use your models...I removed mine from their bases yesterday for painting and I'm not sure I'll have them all back on by this weekend. I've gone through the "intro" scenario twice now, and I'm ready to start adding more/varied troopers to my units, upgrading Skywalker and Vader, etc.

warhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 26, 2018, 07:28:22 pm »
That works for me as I am just south East of arapahoe and parker. And I've got enough for both sides to be 800pt full game lists

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 26, 2018, 11:44:18 pm »
OK cool. I can be there this Sunday (1 April) at 1100. I'll bring my grasslands FAT mat (it works well for SW Legion).

Anyone else have any thoughts on a possible Armada/X-Wing/Legion linked campaign? I think one of the challenging aspects will be integrating the X-Wing games. Due to time constraints it probably wouldn't work to run an X-Wing and an Armada game at the same time (where the fights are linked). How could we make the X-Wing games "mean something" in the larger campaign? The Armada forces will be fighting over control of sectors of space...the Legion forces will be fighting to hold/conquer territory on planets or moons...how do the starfighters fit into that?

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 27, 2018, 09:00:54 am »
X-Wing games could provide special objectives and create bonuses for the Armada and Legion games.
~Destroy this Imperial Shuttle to deny an important crew member on a star destroyer.~
~Get the jump on that rebel star fighter patrol to clear the way for an advanced strike team to land on X planet.~
Stuff like that could be neat.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 27, 2018, 11:15:47 am »
X-Wing games could provide special objectives and create bonuses for the Armada and Legion games.
~Destroy this Imperial Shuttle to deny an important crew member on a star destroyer.~
~Get the jump on that rebel star fighter patrol to clear the way for an advanced strike team to land on X planet.~
Stuff like that could be neat.

Good ideas ... and not just 1 or two, but like 5 to force some objective choices. Do you improve your Armada game chances, or help the ground battle? Or uncover vital clues for the overall REBELLION map.

BTW, if folks haven't played REBELLION yet, its great, and would make a fantastic campaign map. I've been looking for an excuse to get the ROGUE ONE expansion as well...

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:31 pm »
Quickdraw, those are some great examples, and I like the idea of using starfighter combat to influence the fleet and ground battles. Off the top of my head:

-Destroy a freighter convoy to deny one side or the other the use of specific upgrades (i.e. grenades, ion weapons, etc) in the next Legions battle

-assault an Imperial comms satellite (I've already written up this scenario) to give the Rebel fleet commander a boost to initiative in the next Armada game

-win a victory over the opponent to give your fleet initiative in the first three turns of the next Armada game

Etc, etc.

We could build a table with several mission types (like the ones you mentioned and the ones I listed above), and whenever there is an X-Wing game the player whose side has initiative chooses what mission he wants to play. I thought about tying the table to a D6 roll, but then you'd have to bring everything for every possible scenario to each game (shuttles, freighters, etc), which could be cumbersome.

Dakkar, I forgot you had the Rebellion board game. Could/should we use it as a game AND a campaign map? Or would that be too cumbersome?

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 27, 2018, 09:32:59 pm »
Could/should we use it as a game AND a campaign map? Or would that be too cumbersome?

The map part wouldn't be too hard for double duty - we just take a picture, and keep a list of who has what system. Might be heavy if we have to recreate what units are one what systems, but a spreadsheet should handle it.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:45 am »
Quickdraw, those are some great examples, and I like the idea of using starfighter combat to influence the fleet and ground battles. Off the top of my head:

-Destroy a freighter convoy to deny one side or the other the use of specific upgrades (i.e. grenades, ion weapons, etc) in the next Legions battle

-assault an Imperial comms satellite (I've already written up this scenario) to give the Rebel fleet commander a boost to initiative in the next Armada game

-win a victory over the opponent to give your fleet initiative in the first three turns of the next Armada game

Etc, etc.

We could build a table with several mission types (like the ones you mentioned and the ones I listed above), and whenever there is an X-Wing game the player whose side has initiative chooses what mission he wants to play. I thought about tying the table to a D6 roll, but then you'd have to bring everything for every possible scenario to each game (shuttles, freighters, etc), which could be cumbersome.

It doesn’t even need to be this specific necessarily. Could be a lot more free form. Just as long as there is a way to “schedule” or “trigger” X-Wing games throughout the campaign. Then have the narrative of the campaign build itself and create the objectives and benefits  for each game. Could make it a lot more cinematic, instead of the structure and potential randomness of tables.
For instance: If there is an X-Wing game before each Armada game, then maybe whichever side wins the armada game they can choose to force an X-Wing game to affect the next Legion game. So on and so forth.
In addition it could be cool to include a monetary system for upgrades/repairs. A faction could also use their money to hire mercenaries (ie. scum and villainy) to attack the opponents and cost them money. This is a way to involve the unique scum and villainy faction that is not in armada or legion.  Maybe a potential 3 for 1 type of transaction. “It costs 10 credits to hire a gang of thugs to cripple an enemy fighter squadron, resulting in the enemy losing 30 credits.” Or something like that.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:14:16 am by Quickdraw »