Author Topic: X-Cam 2014?  (Read 7798 times)

CDR G

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: X-Cam 2014?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 08:06:26 pm »
This sounds interesting. I am new in the Northern Virginia area (Stafford) and am hungry to play some DW naval games.
I played in the UK and have large FSA, RC, RoF and Italian fleets as well as some Aussies and the merchant set. My fleets are either in the mail or somewhere at sea. But I should have some Frencies next week.
My Main question-- where does happen? I have found the Game Vault store ( Punned Fame Vault?) but what is E&E?
Lastly where do people play DW? I plan to have a space in my house big enough to leave games set-up, but I suspect that will be the exception.
Mike G

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 08:12:14 pm »
Mike,

First of all, welcome to the forums!

So, as  quick run-down, there is no "one" spot where DW games are played. E&E is located in Alexandria, VA, almost all the way to the Capitol Beltway (that's a bit of a haul from Stafford, though there is a group of players up there). The Game Vault has often been used a venue in the past for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is fairly centrally located. Then, there is another solid group of players in the Richmond area. I'm all the way out in the Norfolk area. I don't get out to play games much ATM due to my busy work schedule, but when I do I usually play either at home or at a game store called Atlantis Games and Comics.

The beauty of the X-Cam system is that not all of the players need to be co-located to participate. In fact, I kind of anticipate several separate groups will be playing in their local areas, with periodic larger events where folks from different groups can come together.

don_mondo

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 07:11:55 am »
And I will be returning stateside on or about 03 March. Maybe I can get the Iron Fist League up in Woodbrdige back into this. We usually play at Flashback Comics near Potomac Mills these days.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 06:20:33 am »
Any thoughts on what would be changing from the last cam?
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 09:38:34 pm »
Essentially, the only change I would want to make is to tweak the number of points required to get to the more advanced missions, based on the total game counts we saw last time.  If you look at it, the structure uses 3 game sizes:

Recon = Small = 400pts
Strategic = Medium = 800pts
Control = Large = 1200pts

Recon missions can be played for free, and grant "recon  points."
Players must pay a certain amount of recon points to play Strategic missions, which grant "strategic points."
Likewise, players must pay strategic points to play control missions, which grant control points. the first player to have 3 control points is the winner.

Here's the catch; as originally written by Craig(link here), you need 25 Strategic points to play one control mission. You can only earn a max of 13 Strategy points in a Strategic game (which assumes you table your opponent...more likely you are looking at about 7 or 8 strategy points).  So, you are looking at a MINIMUM of 6 800 point games to just get a CHANCE of winning 3 control points. Based on what we saw last year, that is just too many games. My solution to this is to tweak the costs for the various missions, while leaving the rewards the same:

5 Recon Points are Required to play a Strategic Mission

8 Strategy Points are Required to Play a Control Mission

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 10:56:44 pm »
Oops didn't see this until now. Thanks!

CDR G

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 11:51:53 pm »
So I will be joining X-Cam. This Sunday at E&E.
Brandon what is the start time?
I have question on the Ambush Scenario--
I assume that the attacker moves a squadron onto the board, then the defender gets an activation and so on.
The alternative is the attacker does all his activations first. That makes "ambush" sense.
So one way you get a 25% penalty for one free shot and a choice of where to attack.
The other way --ouch!
Either seems whacky. so convince me otherwise.
How has this worked out in games?

The Convoy scenario- wow 50% Coming on piecemeal  The attackers don't get swacked? I assume a section gets overwhelmed. But a reasonable set up mens most of the defense will get in--no?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 01:03:16 am »
I have question on the Ambush Scenario--
I assume that the attacker moves a squadron onto the board, then the defender gets an activation and so on.

Correct.

Either seems whacky. so convince me otherwise.
How has this worked out in games?

Remember, you will only be playing this mission at 400 points, which means 300 points for the attacker vs. 400 points for the defender. Given the advantages in terrain placement and fleet deployment, this makes the set-up work failry well in my experience. However, I don't think this scenario would scale very well; at 600 points vs. 800 points, for example, I don't think the attacker's advantages would outweigh the 200 point defecit in fleet size.  at the 300/400 level, though, you are really only talking about 3-4 small models or 2 medium models, which isn't a huge hurdle to overcome when the scenario allows the attacker to position for a shot at a weaker portion of the defender's force.

I have a battle report for this scenario on the blog:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2012/11/14/kicking-off-the-x-cam/

I played the defender and won, though I have to admit that was due in no small part to a very lucky critical hit on one of MadDrB's cruisers that caused it to explode and take two of his frigates with it!

The Convoy scenario- wow 50% Coming on piecemeal  The attackers don't get swacked? I assume a section gets overwhelmed. But a reasonable set up mens most of the defense will get in--no?

TBH, this scenario didn't come up in last year's X-Cam; it has a fairly low chance of being rolled, and I don't think anyone played it. It will be a challenge for the attacker, that's for sure. If it turns out to be too much of a challenge, I am open to making adjustments to it.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 08:19:41 am »

We'll be there at 12, when the doors open. We are starting over from scratch on the cam as no one was officially registered. Least that was the consensus. If you want to show up a bit later to avoid the Recon missions that's fine. I'm sure there will be someone with enough points to challenge a Strategic mission.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 01:47:18 pm »
12 is great.
Recon missions are fine.
I have been thinking about what take for the different missions.
300 to 400 points makes for some interesting choices.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »
I will likely start over in April when my other fleets arrive.
Maybe just some non-campaign games. I have some newish FSA and RC I need to learn how to use.
I haven't played my Italians in over 6 months.
Really just glad to at all.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:44 am »
My Usual Antarctican Opponent and I are meeting this weekend at our new FLGS in Culpeper to get rolling with the X-Cam.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »
Looking to challenge the Italians or the Ottomans this weekend.
Longnine, VADM LokeRose either of you up for a game? Location is up to you.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 09:08:30 pm »
My Usual Antarctican Opponent and I are meeting this weekend at our new FLGS in Culpeper to get rolling with the X-Cam.

How'd it go?

Long Nine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 10:16:36 am »
Mars BB Impero at full steam ahead!!! As soon as i can get away from my slave driving corporate masters she will be ready to challenge some one for some strategy points. Still need to put some lead down range on the ottomans and french!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:20:36 am by Long Nine »
"A ruler that has but an army has one hand, but he who has a navy has both." Peter the Great