Author Topic: X-Cam 2014?  (Read 7812 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
X-Cam 2014?
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:01:17 am »
So, it has been about a year since the last X-Cam came and went...is there any interest in starting up another one for this year? I would definitely be interested in taking on the book-keeping side of the house, along with the periodic news letters and the like. If we do another, I think it will make sense to adjust the number of points a player needs to get to a final battle, as we now have a better gauge of just how many games players can accomplish within a reasonable time frame.

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: X-Cam 2014?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:03:10 pm »
So what is this exactly Ruckdog?  One big tourney or more of a prolonged campaign?

Stitch
I find accuracy increases exponentially when more rounds are placed down range.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 04:44:18 pm »
So what is this exactly Ruckdog?  One big tourney or more of a prolonged campaign?

Stitch

Good question Stitch. And actually, this brings up something I hadn't considered; there are folks who are members here now who were not members when we did this last year.

In concept, the "X-Cam" (short for eXpanded Campaign) is a system that is designed to take the one-off friendly games that most groups typically play and then structure them into a larger campaign system. As such, the X-Cam almost plays more like a league or ladder system than a campaign; there is little inherent narrative built into the system, nor is there a map in use. Essentially, you show up at the place you usually play, have a game or two (with a few minor set-up requirements to keep the playing field even), and report the results. You are then awarded points that can be used to play larger missions, or influence the nature of your future matches. However, the health of individual ships are not tracked from game to game, so there is minimal upkeep.

This system was created by Russ and Craig of the D6 Generation podcast, as a response to the issues they have had in the past with trying to keep their gaming group interested in more traditional campaign formats.  You can read all about it here:

http://mcnerdiganspub.blogspot.com/2011/05/dystopian-wars-x-cam-rules-and-missions.html

Last time, we used these rules as-is. The biggest issue we encountered, however, was that it took too long to aquire the required Strategy Points to play a Control Mission. As such, the whole thing drug on for too long, and petered out before a proper conclusion was reached. So, that is why I'm proposing we lower the amount of points required for those missions, and also put a more definitive end date in place.

One other thing MadDrB and I have toyed with is using a tournament event and counting the results towards the X-Cam (by making sure the event's scenarios meshed with those required for the X-Cam).

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:31:01 am »
I like the concept,

I've done campaigns like that before using Battletech.  Not sure how much you know about that game but I'll try to explain.  In those games we operated our units in a AoR setting and each time we gamed we played 2 scenarios what had a set amount of importance. normally once a week sessions.  (I commanded a mercenary unit.)  The higher the importance the more resources you walked away with.  Mostly Credits and salvage.  (Of course in BT salvage could add units back into your command.)  Then every week each unit received resources from the faction that the unit was with. Almost like a salary and each unit was able to purchase replacement units.

I understand that you want keep the maintenance and time down to a minimum, but we actually enjoyed being able to maintain a unit thru the whole campaign.  It kept us engaged week to week allowing us to grow.  each player kept up with their units stuff, we all knew each other so the honor system worked here.  One of the better points was playing the same scenarios and the same maps where we could see how others attacked it.  Sometimes units were wiped out completely, not being able to keep up with the battle losses thus removing them from the campaign.  The campaign would end when a unit controlled/ won the enough scenarios to control the AoR.

Never played DW, but I'm sure a system could be implemented rather quickly to allow for this.  The scenarios was always kept simple....Secure this fuel depot or destroy that installation...  The quickest one we had was to secure a local valley.  the attacker brought medium units but the defender placed a big ol'assault mech at the entrance.  Given the style campaign the attacker withdrew in two rounds because he know he'd loose more that he would gain from the win.  Strategy at it's finest!

You said the biggest problem was the accumulation of points early on, perhaps a set amount of point be given to each unit/ player after so many games from "HQ"? If that's too cut and paste for everyone a scale of points and a roll of the die to see how much you get.  This could give a player an advantage quickly however.

Stitch

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 01:30:38 pm »
I hear what you are saying, Stitch. TBH, I am intrigued by the thought of "leveling" units over the course of a campaign as well. However, I have some concerns about applying that to DW. The biggest issue is that units die quickly in the game, and there is no easy retreat option. So, just about every thing smaller than a battleship has a better than even chance of being sunk. That tends to make leveling up and maintenance of a fleet more problematic.

One thing that I did think of was instead of having leveling units, there could be leveling fleet commodores. The more battles they play, the more abilities they could acquire.

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 01:12:39 am »
I see what you're saying...outside of any house rules there isn't much you could do about that.  I didn't realize units went down so quickly.  Perhaps the commodores idea would fly or a flagship rule that would allow a single ship that he/she was on, not to "Go Down" per-say but accumulate XP's or skills.  Granted this would most likely be Battleships and above.  Would be interesting to see a carrier or destroyer as a flagship.  This is always the reason I liked gaming with a good group that would look past cannon rules and get creative.

Stitch

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:41:26 pm »
So, any takers? I'm hoping to get the X-Cam started off sometime in late Feb or early March.

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 01:17:48 am »
I'm really wanting to get up that way and see y'all in action.  No bets that I'll be ready for a game however....

Stitch

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 11:48:31 am »
Great! How about we shift that conversation to the meet-up thread, then? Don't worry about "being ready"...I have plenty of ships you can borrow for a demo game ;).

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:22:41 pm »
G'day Ruck. I'm down to join in. Could have 3 others interested as well
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 01:34:12 pm »
Great! Are you and your group still playing up at E&E?

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 09:29:47 am »
Haven't played in the store in a bit. We planned to get over there today, but sadly the guy I was going to play had something come up. May be over there next weekend...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 07:42:04 pm »
Good luck! So, if you guys jump into this year's X-cam, where did you plan on playing?

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 08:28:57 pm »
We normally just play house games, but E&E and the Fame Vault are both on the table

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 08:29:38 pm »
Pun intended