Author Topic: The Admiralty Trilogy  (Read 1420 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
The Admiralty Trilogy
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:21:57 am »
Reading the Fatal Choices 1914 book has got me thinking about getting into the Admiralty Trilogy games. These include a WWI-era game (Fear God & Dread Nought), a WWII-era game (Command Decision Command at Sea), and perhaps most famously, a modern-era game called Harpoon. I'm not sure which to jump into first, though! I'm thinking Command Decision Command at Sea, since I've already got a decent collection of WWII minis thanks to War At Sea. Anyone have any experience with these games? Do you recommend one over the other?

EDIT: I got the name of the WWII game wrong!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:19:50 pm by Ruckdog »

Creon

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Admiralty Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:29:24 am »
I would actually recommend Flames of War for WWII, and actually WWI gaming, it's more of a "fun" sort of game than Command Decision. CD is larger scale and more of a simulation. 

Harpoon is a very fun game, but a lot of paperwork from my experience. 

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:33:14 am »
Oops! I meant "Command at Sea." Clearly, Command at Sea =/= Command Decision. Sorry for the confusion!

As I understand it, all three of these games use the same basic "engine," in the way that Firestorm Armada, Dystopian Wars, and Uncharted Seas are all related.

Creon

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:26:59 pm »
Ahhh, All I've played is Harpoon, which is a fun ship game, but a lot of tables and paperwork.  And it's also what Tom Clancy used to write Red Storm Rising, apparently.