Modeling > The Shipyard

Armada Conversions

(1/7) > >>

Kelly:
I have been testing out different options before starting to assemble my Armada ships, and my first priority was to find out what I could add to set my fleets apart.  The scale on the ships is fluid, to be charitable, which is usually an issue for me, but the the skewing of the models is consistently more pronounced at the bow and stern which leaves the center as a good focus for conversion...

I have not yet seen anyone post additions of scale crew, so taking advantage of the open decks of the Orc Smasher, I estimated the local scale to be 1/300 and put together several poses of crew for the cannons.

After tacking them on in several different arrangements, I think their height is close enough to work and 8-10 on the deck of the final ship will be the final plan with a brighter color scheme so they can stand out against the rest of the model.  Next up will be figuring out how else I can integrate in more crew...

Covertwalrus:
This looks to be a fascinating project - One I shall follow with interest.

Where did you source the crew from?

Easy E:
I love the idea of adding some crew.  Great idea.

Kelly:
Here are some tests for lookouts atop masts.  There are only a few types of Orc sails and masts which are shared across the ships of the faction with those sizes being scaled up or down depending on their class, so I will have to do some adjusting on these to keep two points of contact for their feet and left hands.

The Orc Hammerfist has a covered deck, its cannons are inserts to place along the sides, so I am still working out what types of crew would work best for that layout.

--- Quote from: Covertwalrus on November 16, 2021, 06:15:43 am --- Where did you source the crew from?

--- End quote ---

I have been designing the crew myself, they have all the dynamism of someone posing for a Civil War photograph, but they do pass the arm length test.  There are not that many details that I can fit in on a quarter inch model, but luckily I can share these across factions since the scale is so small.  Different colors for hands and faces and most of these will fit right in with the other factions' ships with open decks.

Kelly:
While dry-fitting the masts I discovered how little clearance there is between the sails and the hull, and several possible points of contact exist to allow attachment to the hull for a more stable miniature.

My first attempt at raising up the mast(s) is above, and I will definitely have to pin these.  The original connections between the body of the ship and masts are designed to be sturdy with the main socket for taller masts being a pyramidal shape, and the shorter masts having cylindrical sockets to allow a little movement while positioning them.  I definitely want to preserve as much of that original contact as I can and will be using black wire as additional connections where moving the masts / sails up is impacting the stability of the design.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version