Author Topic: New FAQ for the new Firestorm Edition  (Read 1681 times)

Toxic_Rat

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 13
  • Spartan_FA_Mike in a previous incarnation
    • View Profile
    • Firestorm Armada Fleet Manager
New FAQ for the new Firestorm Edition
« on: May 05, 2020, 10:30:47 am »
This was posted on the Black Ocean Facebook page:

THE FIRESTORM FAQ

Updated May 4, 2020

Can I use my previous Firestorm Models?
Yes, you can! In the new version of Firestorm, the bases are hexagonal so you will only need to change out the bases and you are all set. If you don’t want to change your bases, then there is a hexagonal template you can use for Movement and Attack purposes instead.

Will my previous Firestorm Models have statistics in the new version?
Yes! Most if not all will have their stats to show the ship they represent in the new setting.

What do the new six-sided bases represent?
There are now six firing arcs in Firestorm Armada

Are you planning to release the 3D files for the models?
No, the miniatures in Firestorm Armada are only to be available as physical products.

Will the Sorylians change from broadside based "kinetic" scatterguns to frontal long-range kinetics?
Sorylians primarily make use of kinetic broadsides.

When do we get Beta rules?
The beta will be launched as soon as practical once Government guidance allows people to meet up again to playtest games and the Studio can return from lockdown. No information when that might be yet.

What is the scale of ships in Firestorm Armada?
Same scale as previous versions, 1:10,000

I hope Dramos is still nuked.
Dramos is very nuked. By the Terran Alliance. Never forget.

How far in the future does the new Firestorm Armada take place?
About two thousand years from now.

How many factions are there?
There are 8 factions. The Terran Directorate, Dindrenzi Federation, Sorylian   Congress, Veydreth Authority, Relthoza Unity, Ba’kash Reavers, A’Quan   Sebrutan, and the Storm Zone Coalition.

What is a Helix and an Armada?
In Firestorm Armada an Armada consists of one or more Helixes each of which contains up to six units. Each Helix has its own rules and theme.

What races make up the Storm Zone Coalition?
The Ryushi, Tarakians, Illosi, Shevaka, Xelocians, and Kedorians. Remember membership in the Coalition is flexible and often changes in response to events in the galaxy.

Extra Info Added 5/6/20:
Can I use my existing miniatures in the new Firestorm Armada?
Absolutely. Every miniature will have rules entry that you can use with it. The entry may not specifically be for that ship, but it will be a good fit for your future games. For example, a Sorylan Kestros Destroyer will count as a Sorylian Destroyer in the new game. An Aquan battleship would count as an A'quan Csera Elder etc.

Will you continue to make Warcradle Classics forever?
We have tried to produce as much of the miniatures range we inherited from Spartan Games as Warcradle Classics to help collectors complete their collections. Because of the quality of the masters and lack of suitable digital files we are not able to keep these miniatures in production long term. Effectively once the mould perishes, if we cannot make a replacement easily, that will be the end of the miniature.

What happens with the Mega-Corporations,  Storm Zone Coalition member races and other 'minor powers'?
These will be amongst the first to get brand new plastic miniatures that will be updated and improved versions of the best of those classic miniatures. Aesthetically you can expect them to sit alongside you Warcradle Classics and fit in. Once the first Helixes are released for the Factions, you can expect to see these get a great deal of attention.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:44:40 am by Toxic_Rat »
Nos Habere Ad Aetheres

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: New FAQ for the new Firestorm Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 06:32:54 am »
Thanks for sharing this.  The big question for me remains how they will handle movement with the fancy new bases and the somewhat ambitious early words of Warcradle's spiritual liege.  Also interesting how much Warcradle seems to be opting for nostalgia with a game more like Full Thrust just as the New Dystopian Wars land aims for for more of an Epic feel.  The Storm Zone coalition fluff seems quite reasonable even if the planet of hats tendencies of other races seems to be dialled to 11.

Toxic_Rat

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 08:51:32 am »
Yeah, there are still plenty of details to come out.  I think the SZC is the best that can be done given how many extra minor factions were out there.  It's a good compromise.

On movement, I think the hope for all space miniatures games is to find a way to capture the feel of 3D movement in a way that is playable.  I've yet to see a system that really captures it.  It's just a limitation of the medium we're in. 
Nos Habere Ad Aetheres

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:25:35 am »
On movement, I think the hope for all space miniatures games is to find a way to capture the feel of 3D movement in a way that is playable.  I've yet to see a system that really captures it.  It's just a limitation of the medium we're in.

That's really the holy grail of all our space games … fingers crossed.

The FAQ and discussion over on Black Ocean has me slightly fired up, enough to inventory what I have left.

Waiting eagerly to see what the new Relthoza look like

And very curious where the Syndicate fall in all this - part of the A'Quan maybe?
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Toxic_Rat

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 11:49:43 am »
The holy grail is right.  I think you can have 3D movement, or you can have it easy to play.  I highly doubt you can have both.

The Syndicate is part of the Terran Directorate.   We're supposed to get more info on the Relthoza.  My money is on a highly technological race, with heavily automated ships.  Battleship with a crew of 5 kind of thing, with nanotech everywhere.
Nos Habere Ad Aetheres

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 03:58:43 pm »
Link for black ocean?
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Toxic_Rat

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
Nos Habere Ad Aetheres

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 05:46:54 pm »

Hex bases and fire arcs in a simlar pattern?

That reminds me of something . . . . Namely Full Thrust.

Well, it's a common enough system in many rules - Not like they are changing the entire sheild mecahnics, or remaking an entire race to resemble one from FT or anything.