Author Topic: MBS Podcast Episode 29  (Read 902 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
MBS Podcast Episode 29
« on: April 05, 2018, 06:52:44 pm »

In Episode 29 of the MBS podcast, Greg and Andy are updating a couple of topics they last examined a year ago! First, the do an update on “Class B” games, and add a couple to the list as well. Later, they go back to the movies to discuss 4 new naval-themed films.

Class B Game Update: 45 Min

Naval Movies Pt. 2: 1hr 33 Min

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2018/04/05/episode-29/

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Podcast Episode 29
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:06:50 pm »

Another great episode - Really have to agree about the movies this time around, as THE FINAL COUNTDOWN is a forgotten classic IMHO, and have to say I have similar opinions on the others.

Just a few quick notes on "Aeronef". The game background is one of super-science, and most of the 'ships' are using a relatively inexpensive anti-gravity devices that had been discovered centuries ahead of time, and while there are blimps and airships ( Mostly referred to as "Digs", short for Dirigibles), only the less wealthy nations field them in any great numbers. hence the design of craft that as you say resemble barges, as part of the dynamics of the mechanics of these "lift engines" :)

I've played  a couple of games of Aeronef, and while it's a fast-playing game and very fun, its not all thateasy in some ways- the rules for gunnery are tricky to master, and new players get caught with positioning at times, but it's a good game for simulating naval combat in the air, if you see what I mean. There's some people who dislike the lack of altitude rules/effects, and  how it's very much 'wet navy' at height, however it's worth having a go with I believe :) 

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:20:29 am »
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the podcast.

Yes, The Final Countdown is a pretty good flick, even though it's been years since I last saw it. It's a great "what if?" exercise. The scene with the F-14s and the Zeros is classic.

Thanks for the notes on Aeronef. I've actually never seen it played; there's a group at one of our local game stores that plays every once in a great while. I do like the models, especially the newer sculpts. Will be interesting to see if Brigade Models overhauls the whole line.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 03:15:45 am »
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the podcast.

Yes, The Final Countdown is a pretty good flick, even though it's been years since I last saw it. It's a great "what if?" exercise. The scene with the F-14s and the Zeros is classic.
A personal favorite moment, as clearly some thought went into the real-world possibility of such an interaction :)
 The whole film is also thought-provoking, even more so when  you realize that at the time ( Np pun intended) most time travel stories involved a deliberate attempt to change history when possible and this one spends much time debating why you would attempt that.

Thanks for the notes on Aeronef. I've actually never seen it played; there's a group at one of our local game stores that plays every once in a great while. I do like the models, especially the newer sculpts. Will be interesting to see if Brigade Models overhauls the whole line.

No problem. I believe that is the long-term plan as the lads at Brigade ( Whom I occasionally speak to ) are redoing a lot of their originally hand -sculpted minis with CAD/CAM 3D versions as time allows, though about 80% of their existing ranges are hand sculpts from sheet styrene :). Though no-one has complained about the detail on the older lines like the AmRep and ONESS star ships, Tony and the team always felt they could do better.  Ironic, since in their day jobs, they work in computer graphics - Most notably on the PC Game "Tau; Firewarrior" and did the first sketches of what became the Orca drop-ship :)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 11:50:11 pm »
Very cool. Brigade has some neat designs for civilian space ships and terrain (satellites, etc)...need to pick some of those up sometime.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 05:58:27 am »

Just a heads -up. despite having a struggle to get things together for the SALUTE show, Tony and the lads at Brigade have just put up some shots of the new resin upgrades for the German 'Nef fleet, including a pretty nice item for anyone looking to have something to add to their DW Prussians in a hurry :) - http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Blog/2018/04/no-wait-theres-more/

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 11:03:23 am »
It will be interesting to see where Brigade goes, considering WC moving DWars away from Steampunk/Victorian Sci-fi to more overt fantasy means that Brigade is the premier producer of VSF warmachines, and their armoured game remains the right scale to use with existing DWars bits.  I once had a look at one of their rulebooks, and it didn't grab me in it's simplicity, but seems a good chance to look again.