Author Topic: Where would you set a fantasy naval wargame?  (Read 4227 times)

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Where would you set a fantasy naval wargame?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 02:35:42 am »
Its an interesting idea Easy E, but how would you make a diselpunk game more high fantasy?

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 03:22:58 pm »
Its an interesting idea Easy E, but how would you make a diselpunk game more high fantasy?

An interesting thought exercise. 

1. The simplest and most straight forward approach is to replace the known Nation-States and Empires of World War I into more mono-race fantasy races. 

2. Why would ironclads be useful in a magical world?  Perhaps if a certain element/set of glyphs could negate or channel magic differently and therefore provide a protective armor vs. powerful magic attacks. Therefore, ironclads.   

3. I could see a system where a ship or fleet had so many Magic resources to distribute around to attacks, defense, automated crew, etc. 

4. Fighters could be griffons, dragons, etc.   

It would require a bit of world building, but I think it could be done. 

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 04:30:04 am »
Some interesting thoughts EasyE I hadn't considered.  Orcs and Dwarves aren't too hard to steampunk or diselpunk up.  The thing would be making sure the human faction didn't just look like a historical navy with more eagles and how you would translate elves nature, delicateness and edge of ancient Greece aesthetic into a more industrial setting.

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 07:25:04 am »
how you would translate elves nature, delicateness and edge of ancient Greece aesthetic into a more industrial setting.

I think elves would be pretty easy to do - and very much akin to how they functioned and looked in Battlefleet Gothic. Give them large solar (power) sails where the orientation towards the sun defines their max. speed and maybe even their energy output (weapons, shields) in general...

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 06:46:22 pm »
I think it could get fun if you mix-up some of the pre-conceived fantasy tropes and turn them a bit on their head.  For example, how would the tropes change if your Elves were the Central Powers in a WWI type scenario?  The Orcs could be the French and Russians.  How would that force you to change your narrative about these Fantasy races?     
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 12:06:52 pm »
Militarised Prussian elves would be fascinating.