Poll

Should STAR cards be included in future tournament events?

Yes, absolutely yes!
4 (66.7%)
Yes, but only in larger games with time limits to allow 3 or more turns.
1 (16.7%)
No, not at all.
0 (0%)
No, but maybe provide players at the start of the event with a few select cards to use throughout the event.
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: PLANNING DWVA AUTUMN EVENT 2012  (Read 1849 times)

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
PLANNING DWVA AUTUMN EVENT 2012
« on: June 04, 2012, 08:51:49 pm »
All right, I still have some more pictures to post and numbers to analyze, but I'm ready to start thinking about the next event.

I'd like to put together something of a committee to plan and organize the next event.  I'm willing to take the lead, etc. but I could definitely use help designing the format, scenarios, etc.  I think the next event could be awesome if just 2 or 3 of us really put our heads together on this.

For myself, I would really like to do a fundraising charity event, something along the lines of Foodmachine.  Taking my special effect cards into account and some suggestions by players, I like the idea of dropping the STAR cards and allowing special effects to be bought with cans of food or whatever.  You certainly won't forget about the option to purchase special effects like adding movement to a model or re-rolling a missed attack die when you have a collection of canned food on your side of the table.

Anyway, I intend to use this thread to post and discuss ideas for the next event.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: PLANNING DWVA AUTUMN EVENT 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:35:52 pm »
Here's my concept for an event focused around capturing and defending installations.

Round 1:  Standard 4x4 foot table, 8" deployment zones, 750 MFV naval and air forces.  At the center of the table is an island at least 6" in diameter with a bunker at the center.  The bunker has nominal defense of only 1 AP.  At the time limit or the end of 4 turns the player with AP controlling the bunker (as a prize) wins the round.  Player controlling bunker at end scores 1 Control Point.  90 Minute Limit.

Round 2:  Players which won Round 1 remain at the same table and place reinforcements, a bunker with guns and stats according to their faction at the center of the board.  Then the defending player deploys 600 MFV naval, ground, and air force to defend the bunker.  Randomly determined opponent deploys 750 MFV naval and air force within 8" deployment zone on one edge and attempts an assault.  Player controlling bunker at end scores 1 Control Point.  90 Minute or 4 turn limit.

Round 3:  Players winning Round 2 have dominated their sea zones and move to assault the enemy's home port while players losing Round 2 are designated as defenders.  Defending player sets up 1000 MFV naval, ground, air force along one table edge which features a coastline, buildings, and defensive installations (included as part of the 1000 MFV).   At least 3 installations are placed along coastline, each one worth 1 Control Point.  Assaulting player deploys 1250 MFV naval and air force along opposite table edge.  2 hour time or 4 turn limit.  Each player scores Control Points for having AP on an installation or the only active models within 4" of the installation.

Players may earn a maximum of 5 Control Points by winning the first 2 scenarios and capturing all 3 installations in Round 3, and a player losing one of the first two scenarios could still capture all 3 in the final round and win if the leading player doesn't do well in the final round.  This format provides all players a chance to take the lead position.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:55:32 am by MadDrB »

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 07:52:42 am »
The more I think about it the more I would like to run the next big event for a charitable cause.  We'll still have prizes and certificates to hand out to winners, but all proceeds from the registration will go to some charity.  Anyone have a favorite local charity?

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:25:25 pm »
Due to the expected crowd of Magic players during the weekend of September 30th, we've cancelled the DWVA Autumn Event 2012 which had been scheduled for that day.

So, because of my work schedule and a commitment to run demo games in Falls Church, the next best date for me is Sunday, October 28th.  I still intend to run it as a team event, using the scenarios I've already worked out, etc.  The extra few weeks will provide me more time to work on improving the range of terrain, if nothing else.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:09:53 pm »
Awesome, I might be able to make it to the event now! I'll have to see how things go when I check in next month. You mentioned something about a charitable cause...I've heard of events requiring canned food donations as an entry fee, and even giving "cheats" to players based on how much canned food they donate (in this case, it could be a re-roll or a special STAR card or something). Given that this event will be close to Thanksgiving, I think it might be an interesting concept.