MBS Campaigns > MBS BFG Campaign 2

Organization Thread

(1/3) > >>

Ruckdog:
Greetigns! The purpose of this thread is to work through the organization of the campaign, as far as the details on what rules we are going to use, when we start, when we stop, etc. As such, it is based off a similar thread from the first campaign:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/forum/index.php?topic=1163.0

Here is what I'm proposing to start:

Rules: BFG Campaign Rules

Method Of Play: Online using Vassal, though if there are two or more participants who are local to each other, they can play their games "IRL" as well.
-Note, there are now other options that could be possible ways to do campaign games, such as BFG Armada on the PC, and BFG Leviathan on mobile. However, it will be challenging to use these options and use the campaign progression mechanics from the tabletop rule book. I thought we could at least discuss it, though.

Eligibility: This campaign is open to members of MBS. Since the forums will be the main method of reporting results and tracking fleet status, participants will need to be members of the forums to post.

Start Date: I'd like to get this started before the end of October, say by 15 October soon!.

End Date: I figure we should let the campaign run at least 4-5 months. So, that would put us into March, maybe April.

Location/map: I am thinking of re-using the same subsector map from the previous campaign, though I'm also considering making a smaller map if we end up having fewer players participating.

All of the above is negotiable! Please let me know what you think below.

Seahawk:
Vassal is fine! I can also play on Armada and Leviathan for a different experience, though I think it'd be really hard to implement correctly.

Leviathan is very close to the TT game, but it's not quite the same, and many options/"rules" are missing. Also, naturally, there are only three fleets available.

Armada is an entire different beast altogether. Fun, but, not the TT at all.

Ruckdog:
I am fine with Vassal as well, but I don't want to discount the other two options out of hand as they do potentially offer another way to participate in the campaign for those that have issues with Vassal or would prefer Armada or Leviathan. In my view, here are the pros and cons:

BFG: Armada (PC game)
PROS:
-Pretty looking.
-Good selection of factions.
CONS:
-Does not play like the tabletop at all (real-time vs. turn-based)
-High cost of entry for those that don't own the game already.
-Not compatible with the tabletop campaign system (crew/ship upgrades do not match, impossible to adjust point values for units, etc)

BFG: Leviathan (iOS/Android app)
PROS:
-Low cost of entry (inexpensive app that plays on most mobile devices)
-Rules are very close to the tabletop game. Not a perfect match, but close; I would argue close enough.
CONS:
-Only 3 factions
-Multiplayer matches are limited to 1000 points
-Like BFG:A, the campaign rules are not represented, meaning that leadership, crew upgrades, etc wouldn't be accounted for.

To be honest, I think that Armada is probably more trouble than its worth. However, I think Leviathans has real potential, as long as the players using it are willing to run one of the fleets offered by the app and are willing to put up with not having some of the benefits such as the crew/ship upgrades and leadership represented in their games.

Ruckdog:
I haven't seen a lot of folks joining up just yet, so I've removed the drop-dead start date for the campaign. I'm thinking of posting further afield, perhaps in the BFG Facebook list, to try and get some interest.

Dakkar:
With my renewed GW interest, I'm more game to run a Khornate or Space Wolves fleet.

I haven't played Leviathan, but it does interest me, especially if smoother than Vassal.

My time sucks however, until maybe post Turkey Day

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version