Modeling > The Showcase

Mixed space miniatures

(1/1)

Camthalion:
The few space gaming miniatures I have left, soon to be joined by some others I hope. 

First some 'terrain'  a couple of asteroids, a satellite and Earth.  The large asteroid is a stone found at the beach and painted, Earth comes from a collectable magazine series, the satellite is the end of a 1/72 air to air missile and the small asteroid is a bit of clinker from an old steam loco depot found on my last track familiarisation trip.  Still need a base for the large asteroid.  Earth is a bit small, but I figured I'd never be able to paint it correctly.  All I have done is add the clouds, is about 50mm in diameter.

My remaining two ships, need new bases for these as well.  the Dwarf is the corgi model and the star destroyer comes from another collectable magazine.  Dwarf is as she comes and the SD has been given a black wash.

Geoff

MadDrB:
The terrain pieces look good; I tried my hand at creating space terrain when I started playing Battleship Galaxies (yes, that's the closest I've come to space gaming), but they look like some Styrofoam balls smeared with paint in comparison.  Great concept using real rocks for asteroids--did you drill holes for mounting?  And then just a dry brush for effect after priming?

Camthalion, is model railroading part of your hobby activity?  I sometimes wonder how much crossover between tabletop wargaming and model railroading there is; I attended a model railroading club the other month and some of the terrain I saw, particularly in one N-scale layout, looked incredible, but the model railroading guys seem to stick with trains and the wargamers I know stick with wargames.  Interesting to see you working on sci-fi space models after admiring the pictures of your 20th century warships.

I had no idea there was a Red Dwarf model--awesome!

Camthalion:

--- Quote from: MadDrB on June 09, 2012, 07:37:44 am ---  Great concept using real rocks for asteroids--did you drill holes for mounting?  And then just a dry brush for effect after priming?

--- End quote ---

The clinker piece is as I found it.  There were enough natural holes in it to place the stand wire.  The rock, yes drilled a hole with an old bit and drybrushed, if memory serves GW tin bitz and then washed with badab black.  Just need a new base for it.

--- Quote from: MadDrB on June 09, 2012, 07:37:44 am ---Camthalion, is model railroading part of your hobby activity?   Interesting to see you working on sci-fi space models after admiring the pictures of your 20th century warships.

--- End quote ---
Yes I still have some model train kits, both built and waiting to be built.  Rail was my first serious modelling and a friend I met in the model train club introduced me to wargaming.  Most of my railway activity is with the real things though.  I work as a controller, or dispatcher I think in the States is it?.  I had quite a few starships once, the above is all that remains and recently I got to thinking about building some more again.

--- Quote from: MadDrB on June 09, 2012, 07:37:44 am ---I had no idea there was a Red Dwarf model--awesome!

--- End quote ---
They made Starbug too, but at a much different scale.

Geoff

Andrewchristlieb:
Wow! I remember watching red dwarf when i was little! Thats awesome. The earth really shouldnt be a problem terrain in space games are so far off from the models i doubt anyone would even notice.

Ruckdog:
Nice work! I think your terrain is very cool  8). I also like the Venerator; I always thought this was the best ship design to come out of the Star Wars prequels. Much better than the Trade Federation's "Droid Doughnut of Doom," anyway! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version