Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 33381 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2016, 05:14:17 pm »
but is every book going to end with ...

Yes ;-)
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2016, 06:16:10 pm »
Well, that's good to know.

I know there are a lot of books in this series, but I was thinking today, it would be interesting to see Honor's early years in the Manticoran navy. Weber based the character on Horatio Hornblower and that series of novels by C.S. Forester; the first book in that series (of 11 books) starts with Hornblower as a midshipman, and in the final book he's a commodore. With Harrington, the books seem to start in about the middle of her career--she's the captain of her own ship in On Basilisk Station. I know we get some glimpses back into her past here and there, but watching her "grow up" in the navy would have been cool too.

But this is a small thing. I enjoyed the first book, really enjoyed the second book, and am looking forward to the rest of the series!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2016, 08:20:09 am »
but is every book going to end with ...

Yes ;-)

Well, up until they don't! Greg, I don't want to deter you from reading the whole series, because it is really quite good and I love it. However, around Book 11 there is a pretty major shift in the tone and pacing of the main Honor Harrington books. As you already saw the start of in Book 2, Honor gradually takes on more and more military and political leadership responsibilities, and as such she ultimately gets somewhat removed from the front lines in later books. Also, the last few HH books have been trying to keep up with about half a dozen different plot threads, only one of which Honor herself is directly involved in. As a result, the last few books have had shockingly little "screen time" for Honor (reminiscent of the last coupe of Tom Clancy Jack Ryan novels).

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2016, 10:20:18 am »
For the new Honor books, I'm really hoping that

A) Less time on people arguing in boardrooms, or bad guys maniacally laughing in boardrooms.

B) More Honor, being Honor

C) He starts some hand-off to the "next-gen" as it were. And finds some new Naval inspiration to change up battle stories.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2016, 10:27:00 am »
I just finished off "Attack on Pearl Harobor: Strategy, Combat, Myths, Deceptions" by Alan Zimm. WOW! Probably the most interesting book I've read on the Pacific War since Shattered Sword. This book investigates some aspects of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that have been overlooked by other historians, and it overturns a lot of the conventional wisdom surrounding the attack. Highly recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-Pearl-Harbor-Strategy-Deceptions/dp/1612001971

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2016, 09:43:29 pm »
I just finished off "Attack on Pearl Harobor: Strategy, Combat, Myths, Deceptions" by Alan Zimm. WOW! Probably the most interesting book I've read on the Pacific War since Shattered Sword. This book investigates some aspects of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that have been overlooked by other historians, and it overturns a lot of the conventional wisdom surrounding the attack. Highly recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-Pearl-Harbor-Strategy-Deceptions/dp/1612001971

Ruck, that sounds interesting, may have to check it out.

To be honest, even though I really enjoy reading about the Pacific Theater, I've tended to stay away from books about Pearl Harbor. It seems to me sometimes that there have been more books written about that one event than about the entire rest of the war in the Pacific, and it seems to be the fodder for a LOT of conspiracy theories--both in print and on television. I guess that's kind of turned me off to learning more about it. I know the basics, I've visited the site several times, and that's always been good enough for me. Does this one stay clear of that stuff?

As for me...I just finished Leviathan Wakes, first book in The Expanse...REALLY enjoyed it. Will probably go out and get the next book tomorrow. It was as good as everyone said it was. I watched the TV series when it came out in December/January, and I"m going back through it now. They changed the story a little, but it's still really good.

Also just recently read Sharpe's Triumph, the second book in the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Historical fiction. If you like early 19th century infantry combat in India, it's a good (and quick) read.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Wakes-James-S-Corey/dp/0316129089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466300530&sr=8-1&keywords=leviathan+wakes

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpes-Triumph-Richard-September-Adventure/dp/0060951974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466300590&sr=8-1&keywords=sharpe%27s+triumph

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2016, 12:00:49 am »

To be honest, even though I really enjoy reading about the Pacific Theater, I've tended to stay away from books about Pearl Harbor. It seems to me sometimes that there have been more books written about that one event than about the entire rest of the war in the Pacific, and it seems to be the fodder for a LOT of conspiracy theories--both in print and on television. I guess that's kind of turned me off to learning more about it. I know the basics, I've visited the site several times, and that's always been good enough for me. Does this one stay clear of that stuff?

It doesn't so much stay clear of conspiracy theories as it smashes right through them, explaining why so many of them are nonsense. One of the big ones the book spends a fair amount of time debunking is the theory that a midget sub penetrated the harbor and torpedoed battleship row. If you have been turned off by that sort of thing in the past, this book might be just the breath of fresh air you are looking for.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2016, 01:26:44 am »
.I just finished Leviathan Wakes, first book in The Expanse...REALLY enjoyed it.

Welcome to the fold! Many good books ahead of you there, and books with actual PHYSICS!

Don't forget to go back to Honor #3 and onwards too :-)

I just started the new Neal Stephenson SEVENEVES ...cool so far

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2016, 10:33:10 am »
BUMP! Been a while since we've talked about the books we have been reading ;).

I just recently finished Book 11 of the Destroyermen series, "Blood in the Water." I have to say, it was awesome! Some big twists in this one (no spoilers), along with some classic Silva shenanigans.

I really appreciate the direction that the author, Taylor Anderson, seems to be taking with this series; like many other long-running novel series, the scope of Destroyermen has steadily expanded. In this book, for example, the first 10 or so chapters were spent jumping around to give us updates on different plot threads! However, the trajectory of the story by the end of Book 11 is that a number of these threads are being re-united and condensed down. Even better, that is being done in a very satisfying way that doesn't feel forced IMO. The series is also still finding ways to get the main characters into the thick of the action, which is something that I've seen other series have difficulty doing. I'm already looking forward to book 12!

Looking forward, though, I think that this series probably only has another trilogy in it, max; I wouldn't be too surprised to see some really major plot lines that started in book 1 getting tied up by the end of the next book, and then book 13 starting the end game for some of the major threads that started later in the series.

aexaex

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2016, 10:30:16 pm »
I'm re-reading the aubrey maturin series by patrick o brian for the third or forth time

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2016, 02:38:47 am »
I've just started reading the second novel of the Honor Harrington series, after hearing about the series on the podcast.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2016, 04:18:30 pm »
I've just started reading the second novel of the Honor Harrington series, after hearing about the series on the podcast.

I envy the great ride you have ahead. Wish I could recapture that sense of awesome when the Honor series stretched before me :-)

Recent books for me include:

SEVENEVES by Neal Stephenson did prove amazing. Think THE MARTIAN times 1000.

SHARP ENDS by Joe Abercrombie. A collection of awesome short stories set in his FIRST LAW world. My favorite "fantasy realism" after Game of Thrones ... maybe moreso if GRRM doesn't improve.

THE THOUSAND NAMES by Django Wexler. Great new series my cousin recommended to me, this is Napoleonic level army conflict, set in an Arabian style corner of a fantasy world very much in the same feel as Abercrombie and GRRM.

If they didn't get shout outs before, everyone needs to reading THE PERIPHERAL, the latest from William Gibson. And Jim Butcher's THE AERONAUT'S WINDLASS needs a gorram game made out of it ASAP.

Lastly, December will bring the next EXPANSE novel, BABYLON'S ASHES ... after the jaw-droppers of that last book, I'm almost afraid to start this one.

Side Literary Note:
Just recently watched IN THE HEART OF THE SEA. Highly recommended for Naval fans. And its got me turning back to reading MOBY DICK, but this time via THE MOBY DICK PROJECT online, which has a different artist reading each chapter.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2017, 05:41:27 pm »
Catching up the thread.

I didn't read as much as I wanted to in 2016, due to other hobby pursuits, work, etc. Aiming to change that in 2017.

On the sci-fi front, over the past few months, I've read the following:

Ghost War by Michael Stackpole, the first book in the Mechwarrior: Dark Age series. I picked up a used copy of this book and the second book in the series at Adepticon last year. I've always liked mech combat, and this book was a nice, quick little read.

Star Wars: A New Dawn, by John Jackson Miller. Kind of a prequel story for the Star Wars: Rebels TV show, shows how Hera and Kanan first meet up. Not the best Star Wars story I've ever read, but not the worst. Might have been better if I'd read it more quickly, but I stretched this one out far too long due to some other things I had going on.

Caliban's War, by James S.A. Corey. Good stuff. Really enjoyed it. Won't say anything else here about it, but glad to see Holden and the crew of the Rocinante back in action. I just got the third book in the series for Christmas, can't wait to start it.

Finally, I just finished The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu. This is the first book in the series of the same name. Really an interesting take on the whole "aliens come to earth" trope, and being that it is written by a Chinese author and told from a Chinese perspective, it's a departure from a lot of the other science fiction I usually read. If you're looking for something a little different, I'd recommend giving it a try. It does start a slow, just FYI.

I also read a pretty good WW1 book, but I'll post that in the WW1 thread.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2017, 11:48:46 pm »
Caliban's War, by James S.A. Corey. Good stuff. Really enjoyed it. Won't say anything else here about it, but glad to see Holden and the crew of the Rocinante back in action. I just got the third book in the series for Christmas, can't wait to start it.

You have SO much good ahead of you. I've started listening to Book Six, Babylon's Ashes, and I'm actively resenting my shorter commute and work itself for keeping me from more of the book. I don't know what has me more stressed even, work itself or the events in the book...
You *are* watching the show on TV, right? Brace yourself for Bobbi Draper in season 2 !

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2017, 05:50:10 am »
Thank you, Ruckdog, for suggesting The Lost Fleet.  This is probably the "hardest" science fiction book I've read for space combat.  The ships generally have amazing thrust values (Delta V) and the fastest a ship has gone this far in the first two books is .2c (that's 1/5th the speed of light).  Much of the combat thus centers on the strategy and tactics for fighting with the relativistic effects these speeds induce... particularly since communication and sensors still travel at light speed.

Interestingly, all the weapons have an analog in Firestorm Armada.  If the game's Movement system was substantially altered, it could easily become a Lost Fleet game system.