Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 33051 times)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2017, 05:41:18 am »
I finished "A Rising Thunder" three hours ago, and I'm just at the point where I can post this without swearing.  Please tell me there is some indication of a 14th book at some stage soon?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2017, 11:21:10 am »
No word on the next one that I can find. He's been tending to his other series.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2017, 07:16:41 pm »
From what I've been able to figure out looking at various threads in other forums, there seems to be a rough order that Weber is working on his book series in, and the core HH one is toward the bottom in popularity. Honor not dying has really messed up the flow he had in mind for the books!

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2017, 11:11:45 am »
I just imagine Weber and GRRM are off enjoying Disneyland, golf, and lunch buffets instead of writing what we're waiting for ...  ;-)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2017, 04:23:30 pm »
According to my research, Shadow of Victory follows a rising thunder, but it doesn't focus as much on Honor so it hasn't been named as part of her series.  I have just got a hold of a copy and I'm reading as much as I can, so I'll let you know.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2017, 06:27:31 pm »
I think I've been conflating SHADOW OF VICTORY with SHADOW OF FREEDOM, so I haven't caught up with it after all. The description talks about a showdown with Mesa, which I don't recall - just the set-up for such. So maybe I need to queue that for Audible.

Not killing Honor was a GOOD decision (heck, it'd be like killing Harry Potter before the Battle of Hogworts), but I'm surprised its messed with Weber THAT much. How hard is it to craft a solid ride into the sunset for your heroine?

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2017, 06:40:49 pm »
I agree, I really want to see an Honor/Detweiler showdown, but from what I've read Weber had the entire series worked out before he started On Basilisk Station.  I've generally found that people who plan like that lack a little in flexibility, but it might just be a case that Honor takes a back seat for a couple of books because other things need to happen. 

Edit:

Shadow of Victory is parallel to Rising Thunder, or even leads up to it, continuing from Shadow of Freedom.  I was so disappointed that Ive stopped part way through and started reading Mr Midshipman Hornblower instead.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:30:25 pm by Charbe86 »
Tacitus

Jack Brown

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:38 pm »
Just finished Shattered Sword. Inspired to buy it after Jonathan Parshall was on episode 20.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2017, 11:46:38 am »
Shadow of Victory is parallel to Rising Thunder, or even leads up to it, continuing from Shadow of Freedom.  I was so disappointed that Ive stopped part way through and started reading Mr Midshipman Hornblower instead.

I have to admit, I'll probably just read a wiki-summary unless I'm desperate for an audiobook.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2017, 04:17:27 pm »
Just finished Shattered Sword. Inspired to buy it after Jonathan Parshall was on episode 20.

Awesome! How did you like it?

Jack Brown

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2017, 11:10:57 pm »

Awesome! How did you like it?

I really liked it. The level of detail was well past any I'd seen on the battle. I had no idea, for example, about CAP rotations going on right up to the point the dive bombers hit.

Reading about the machinations in the Japanese navy, it really makes every think that it was just a matter of time until Kido Butai got punched in the mouth pretty hard.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2017, 06:36:37 pm »
Just finished the latest volume in the Destroyermen Series, Devil's Due!

https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Due-Destroyermen-Taylor-Anderson/dp/0451470656

It was a great read. I am definitely liking how the different plot threads in the series are starting to get tied up and consolidated down.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2017, 07:28:17 pm »
Just finished Neptune’s Inferno, on Zorper’s recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/Neptunes-Inferno-U-S-Navy-Guadalcanal/dp/0553385127/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509232952&sr=8-1&keywords=neptunes+inferno+book

Good “read” (I did the Audible version). Covers US Navy operations at Guadalcanal in WW2. Holy cow, there were a LOT of ways to die on a ship in the South Pacific. Some of the engagements with the IJN were at 5000 yards or less (point-blank range for guns on cruisers and battleships!), and all the major engagements were at night. Interesting to see the USN getting used to using new technology (radar), and how some officers trusted it and some didn’t. Recommended if WW2 naval combat is your thing.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2017, 10:08:41 pm »
I'm embarrassed to admit I finally started reading the Honor Harrington series this past year. So far, I only finished On Basilisk Station. Rekindles a lot of the excitement I remember when reading the Horatio Hornblower series in high school. It's ironic because I played the Saganami Island Tactical Simulator game about 6-7 years ago!

But I'm about to start reading In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick after I finish his book about George Washington. I've read Melville's novel Moby Dick twice in my life, but I have read a few times about how it's a novel best appreciated by middle-aged readers, so that now I'm officially "middle-aged" I'm preparing to read it again. ;p

Draco84oz

• Ensign
  • E = MC....let me get my notepad...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2017, 11:17:22 pm »
I'm also currently grinding my way though the core HH series, and I'm up to In Enemy Hands. Its a pretty good read, and the universe he worked out is excellent - you can see from some of the setups that he put into effect early on (eg. Paul Tankersley - why introduce him as a bit character - with a full name nonetheless - in the first book unless you were wanting to use the character later on?). In particular, I like the notes he had in the back of A Short Victorious War about how space combat worked.  I could see that series of notes being done as a youtube series with full visuals and all that.

Although I am still trying to get my head around some of the mechanics of how a full Newtonian physics battle would work. Call me a grav-well luddite all you like.