Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 33142 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2017, 08:52:36 pm »
Yep, watched the first season, really enjoyed it, looking forward to season 2. I just started Invasion Rabaul by Bruce Gamble (Christmas gift). Been wanting to read it for awhile; it's a part of the Pacific Theater with which I'm not very familiar. Will probably start the next Expanse book after I finish that.

@Ryjak, that series is on my list, glad to hear good things about it.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »
Finished Invasion Rabaul. Really a good read, if not a bit depressing. Have moved on to The Dark Forest, the second book in the Three-Body trilogy. Going to punt Abbadon's Gate a bit further down the road.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2017, 01:19:00 pm »
Just finished the Star Wars novel Tarkin (listened to it via Audible) during our road trip to and from Indiana:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Tarkin-James-Luceno/dp/0553392905

Great stuff overall! The book felt a little disjointed, due to the shifts back and forth between the "present" and various points in the past. Still, I enjoyed it overall. There were all kinds of neat moments for the Emperor, Tarkin, and Vader, and you really get the sense of the chemistry between this "Dark Triumverate" that allowed them to administer the Empire so effectively. The audio book was also well done, incorporating snippets of music and the sparing use of sound effects at key moments. It wasn't quite a full on audio drama, but it did have a little more immersion than many audio books I've listened too.

A few neat tidbits I picked up (Spoilers):
[spoiler]
-5 years after the end of the Clone Wars, and TIEs were just starting to come online. Most of the Imperial fighter squadrons were running V-wings, ARC-170s, and Vader was cruising around in an ETA-2 (which appears to be the same type of fighter he was flying as Anakin at the beginning of Episode 3).
- Lots of Clone-Wars era ships were in use still, like the Venator-class SD. I REALLY hope we get to see some of these pop up in SW Armada.
-Tarkin's Ship, the Carion Spike, sounds completely bad-ass. Again, I hope we get to see this ship in either SW Armada or X-Wing.
-Also interesting is the cobbled-together capital ship the dissidents were using, which consisted of canabalized parts from a number of Seperatist factions. This ship suggests that there could be some room for a Scum & Villiany faction in Armada.
-Tarkin was much more of a bad-ass than one might have thought from A New Hope; the trials he undertook on his native Eriadu were pretty impressive! I also never realized he was a skilled pilot in his own right.[/spoiler]

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2017, 06:48:49 pm »
Just finished BABYLON'S ASHES, the 6th book in THE EXPANSE series.

Possibly the best yet. Perhaps its because I was listening on a long drive, but the politics, world situation, and characters were FAR more *real* to me, and a greater source of emotion, than anything actually happening in our world right now.

[spoiler]Also, 2 words - BOBBI F'N DRAPER![/spoiler]
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2017, 07:28:29 pm »
Must..resist...urge to open spoiler!  ;D

I will have to start collecting this series on Audible.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:38 pm »
Me too. Just watched the season 2 premier on SyFy a couple nights ago....good stuff.

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2017, 10:25:47 pm »
I could not agree more on The Expanse. I like both Dark Matter and Killjoys but for me, The Expanse is my first choice.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2017, 12:30:02 am »
Me too. Just watched the season 2 premier on SyFy a couple nights ago....good stuff.

Just caught up with it myself. Lots of thoughts...
PDC fight was great, and suitably terrifying.
I like that all the clues were in plain sight, and some bad guys featured. How everyone thinks they're doing the right thing.
At the risk of sounding PC, I find the lower frequency of white people in the cast incredibly refreshing. :-)
I *think* they've pre-positioned some vital characters for later as minor figures now, like Fred's #2.
Extra love that they're now letting Avasarala swear. Not quite her book style "sailor level" but it'll do. :-)

Best advice -
1) Don't screw with Amos
2) Even more, don't screw with Fred Johnson
3) Even more than that, don't screw with Bobbie Draper (Cannot *wait* until she is unleashed!)
4) Never EVER screw with Avasarala. You'll see.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2017, 12:53:15 pm »
Agreed. Amos is frightening. He conducts violence with a calm expression on his face. The scene with the cheese story was great.

The Rocinante is a beast.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2017, 05:01:38 pm »
Amos is frightening. He conducts violence with a calm expression on his face.

The actor very much reminds me of Ivar the Boneless on VIKINGS, which is to say, just be glad he's on the right side ;-)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2017, 04:17:32 am »
I'm just about to start watching the second season of Expanse, is it worth reading the first book on top of watching the show?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2017, 11:31:56 am »
I'm just about to start watching the second season of Expanse, is it worth reading the first book on top of watching the show?

Absolutely, though hard to say which to finish first. The 1st season was about half the first book, with other bits drawn in (for instance, you don't meet Julie Mao's father until Book 3). The second season is finishing the first book, and now has elements from Book 2 (like Bobbie Draper).
Spoilers only for those who haven't seen Season 1:
[spoiler]The Protomolecule is a LOT more horrific in the books. Kills a lot more people, and they go a LOT messier ... the words 'Vomit Zombie' are used. So I'd say get jamming on the book since it can only enhance the current season. But decide whether you want the book or the show to deliver some final spoilers/shocks.[/spoiler]

Ryjak

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ops Center
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2017, 09:33:03 pm »
Finished reading the first Lost Fleet series (6 books).  I enjoyed it, but I'll wait on reading the next series until I read Honor Harrington.

Landlubber, what are you waiting for?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2017, 11:53:37 am »
I just finished reading "The Battleship Book" by Richard Farley:

https://www.amazon.com/Battleship-Book-Robert-M-Farley/dp/1479405566

This was a fun book! It was a quick, interesting read that provides a nice overview of the history of battleships. The book is mostly short profiles on the history of specific ships, 60 in all. There area also longer chapters on three major events: Jutland, the Naval Treaties of the 20's & 30's, and Pearl Harbor. Be warned; this is not exactly a scholarly work, as there are no footnotes and the writing style is not what you might expect of a "serious" history book. In fact, this reads very much like what it is: an edited and expanded collection of blog posts that they author has posted in various locations over the years. Worth a look  in my opining, especially for those that are looking for an introduction to the subject!

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2017, 01:04:42 pm »
My favorite "design/technical" book for WW2 is Richard Worth's "Fleets of World War 2". Not cheap but an amazingly concise yet technical look at virtually every warship of WW2. He has some unvarnished evaluations that separate many of the common myths from reality.

Kindle version https://www.amazon.com/Fleets-World-War-II-revised-ebook/dp/B0127M2FSS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487181645&sr=1-1&keywords=richard+worth