Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 33148 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2018, 11:48:10 am »
I'm reading the Honorverse in analog format.  :D

I probably should switch to my eBook ... there's so many damn characters, and most are just introduced by name and rank and a few shorthand characteristics. It makes it much harder to keep track while just listening.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2019, 08:45:21 pm »
Reviving this thread...

Currently listening to World War II at Sea: A Global History, by Craig L. Symonds. At first I was hesitant to pick this book up, as I felt it would mostly be U-boats in the Atlantic and the carrier war in the Pacific. While these two topics do take up a lot of the book, I've also learned WAY more about naval history in WW2 than I thought I would--quite literally, I didn't know what I didn't know! The book covers not only those aformentioned major theaters, but also delves into many, many other facets and issues of the naval side of the war. For example, naval supply issues--the dearth of LSTs that the Allies desperately needed as they conducted simultaneous amphibious assaults in the Mediterranean and Pacific, while trying to pre-position LSTs for Operation Overlord. If you have any interest at all in naval history of this era, I highly recommend this book--you're almost guaranteed to learn something new about the conflict. The Audible narrator is pretty good, but takes some getting used to.

https://www.amazon.com/World-War-II-Sea-History/dp/0190243678/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549417224&sr=8-1&keywords=world+war+2+at+sea+craig+symonds

Also, just finished Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company, by Alexander Freed. This book was published a few years ago when EA released the rebooted Star Wars: Battlefront video game. But don't let that stop you--the book doesn't really tie into the game; I think they were released together to build hype for the game itself (which isn't too bad, although I can't speak for the sequel). Twilight Company reminds me very much of the Gaunt's Ghosts stories by Dan Abnett, but the prose is tighter and it's better-written. This book is set during the Galactic Civil War and takes place shortly after the destruction of the first Death Star. However, it doesn't follow the main characters that we all know so well...as a matter of fact, almost all of those characters appear only as brief mentions in this book and don't really play a part in what is going on. Instead, this book is about the grunts--the soldiers and officers of Twilight Company, as they slog it out against Imperial troopers on one planet after another. No lofty ideals here about liberating the galaxy and pushing back the Dark Side...these soldiers, for the most part, barely look up from the trenches to consider the wider conflict. They fight to survive and to protect their squadmates; after the battle, they declare the planet liberated, hold a recruiting drive, gather up whatever fresh food/supplies they can pack onto their assault transport, and then it's off to the next theater, because that's what the orders are. Definitely a different take on Star Wars, but it's a good reminder that there were billions of other beings living, fighting, and dying in the background of the Skywalker saga.

https://www.amazon.com/Battlefront-Twilight-Company-Star-Wars/dp/1101884762/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549417265&sr=8-1&keywords=battlefront+twilight+company
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2019, 02:12:11 pm »
Carthage Must Be Destroyed

Despite the title, this book is actually focused on Carthage and the history of Carthage and not just treating it as yet another antagonist of Rome.  Therefore, you learn a lot about the origins of Carthage, their trade network, their strategic need to hold a presence on Sicily, the Greek-Carthage rivalry before Rome, etc. 

Overall, I am really impressed so far!   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2019, 10:40:26 pm »
I have that book on my bookshelf, just haven't gotten to it yet!

I've moved on to Cryptum by Greg Bear--the first book in the Forerunner Trilogy (in the Halo series). Listening via Audible. It's good so far but it's raising a LOT of questions. The book takes place thousands of years prior to the events of the first game in the series.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2019, 11:13:24 am »
Since TIAMAT'S WRATH is still months away on Audible, I'm going to revisit DUNE on audio... I hope it holds up.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2019, 05:21:40 pm »
A little past halfway through TIAMAT'S WRATH (Expanse Book 8 ), and already I don't think I have any jaw left to drop. And that was before the most recent chapters.
Yesterday morning, if I'd been reading a physical book instead of listening in the car, I'd have thrown the book at something … preferably a shredder. By this morning, I was cackling with glee. There is no doubt these guys learned their craft from GRRM (except that they'll manage 9 books in ten years)

I *really* hope Amazon can pull together season 4, and keep this going through Season 9+.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2019, 07:43:13 pm »
I’m waiting for the softcover to come out, as I have all the others in that format.

Currently rereading Leviathan Wakes. Getting more out of it the second time around...sorta like rewatching Marvel movies...