Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 33158 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2017, 02:04:03 pm »
My favorite "design/technical" book for WW2 is Richard Worth's "Fleets of World War 2". Not cheap but an amazingly concise yet technical look at virtually every warship of WW2. He has some unvarnished evaluations that separate many of the common myths from reality.

Kindle version https://www.amazon.com/Fleets-World-War-II-revised-ebook/dp/B0127M2FSS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487181645&sr=1-1&keywords=richard+worth

Very nice! Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard of this one yet. I'm adding it to my wish list for sure. I think my favorite technical books are probably Norman Friedman's series of design histories for major US warship types. Here is the one on BBs:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Battleships-Illustrated-Design-History/dp/1591142474/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487183396&sr=1-3&keywords=norman+friedman

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2017, 10:59:31 pm »
Finished reading the first Lost Fleet series (6 books).  I enjoyed it, but I'll wait on reading the next series until I read Honor Harrington.

Landlubber, what are you waiting for?

It's on the list, Ryjak, it's on the list. Faster to add books to the reading list than it is to read them. Right now I'm in the second book of the Three-Body trilogy (Chinese sci-fi, and pretty dark stuff), and when I finish this book I'm going to read Fortress: Rabaul, the next book in the Rabaul trilogy. I'd like to get these two trilogies knocked out and maybe a few more books in the Expanse and Honor Harrington series before I jump into the Lost Fleet.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Klingsor

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2017, 07:37:19 am »
I have really enjoyed the Lost Fleet series and the spin off but I did not like his Stark trilogy, which is not a problem as while they are SF they are ground not space based so can be ignored here.

A few more suggestions:
The Battlecruiser Alamo series by Richard Tongue.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlecruiser-Alamo-Price-Admiralty-Book-ebook/dp/B00DN8XKIK/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1487852116&sr=1-5&keywords=richard+tongue

Chris Nutall has a couple of series of interest. |You know about the first one (Ark Royal) but the second is more traditional naval SF, more honarian perhaps?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oncoming-Storm-Angel-Whirlwind-Book-ebook/dp/B00UXX5BLM/ref=la_B008L9Q4ES_1_25?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487852340&sr=1-25

Are you familiar with the Warship annuals? These are published yearly and are mostly made up of articles with a summary of the years naval news and reviews of important new naval books.

John Roberts excellent Rebuilding the Royal Navy is now incredibly cheap at 99p for the Kindle version in Britain, I don’t know what it is on the other side of the pond but even at full price it is a very good book as were the earlier volumes in the series.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rebuilding-Royal-Navy-Warship-Design-x/dp/1848321503/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487853249&sr=1-1&keywords=rebuilding+the+royal+navy

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2017, 12:03:38 am »
Battlecruiser Alamo sounds like a good read, I just looked it up on Amazon. Is it only available as an e-book? That's the only format I could find.

Klingsor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2017, 10:34:50 am »
I think so. Really now the only books I buy in print are non-fiction so I wouldn't have noticed. It saves me a lot of shelf space.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2017, 03:35:53 pm »
Ive just started "War of Honor" and I wanted to thank you guys for making me aware of the series.  It has been brilliant so far, causing large amounts of sleep deprivation, and slightly upsetting my wife.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2017, 08:21:08 pm »
Just finished Fortress Rabaul, the second book in Bruce Gamble's Rabaul Trilogy. Bit of a slow start, as the first few chapters are a quick review of what occurred in the first book, but after that it really gets going. Gamble is a good writer in that his style is narrative; I would usually forget within just a few minutes that I was reading a historical account of the events described.

Something I really appreciated about this book--and about the first book, Invasion Rabaul--is that he provides detailed accounts from both sides of the conflict. Apparently bomber and fighter pilots on both sides exaggerated their claims of targets destroyed and aircraft shot down (sometimes wildly so); Gamble presents not only what was claimed, but what actually occurred, according to war logs and official documents from both American and Japanese archives.

He also covers the Battle of the Bismarck Sea near the end of Fortress Rabaul, which was more of a one-sided slaughter than it was a battle. This was either the first or one of the earliest times that the B-25 Mitchell and A-20 Havoc were used as gunships, and the effect they had on lightly-armored Japanese ships was fairly gruesome.

I still need to read the final book in the trilogy, Target: Rabaul, but if it's anything like the first two, I'm sure it will be a great read. Highly recommend these books to anyone who wants an introduction to combat in the southwest portion of the Pacific Theater.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:23:26 pm by Landlubber »

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2017, 04:04:16 pm »
Black fleet trilogy by Joshua Dalzelle

Entertaining
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Steamlord78

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2017, 12:47:54 am »
I just finished the Ark royal series and listing to episode 8 of the podcast. I know it is a year old but I like how the deal with carriers in space. You should check it out.

Klingsor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2017, 02:28:12 pm »
It is a very good series with good and frighteningly plausible world building for his future Earth.
It is obvious why space fighters get so much love but I am rather ambivalent about them myself.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2017, 07:26:16 pm »
Just finished The Short Victorious War, the third book in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Still enjoying it.

Question for all of you who have read the series--so far, I'm reading the books in the order of publication, not the actual chronological order. The Harrington books are based on the Horatio Hornblower novels, which I read in chronological order, not order of publication. Any recommendations on how to read the Harrington books?

Thoughts on this most recent book below...

[spoiler]

Glad Harrington didn't get her ship shot out from under her this time, although Nike got beat up pretty bad. Would like to have seen Young get vaporized, or at least tried for his crimes and executed there at Hancock Station, but I guess he has to stick around as a plot device.

Was kinda strange to see Honor getting a little...shore leave (trying to keep things family friendly). But hey, she's earned it, I suppose.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:35:17 pm by Landlubber »

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2017, 09:14:19 pm »
As I recall (there are something like 20+/-), order of publication will build on each whereas chronological will sometimes miss a bit of the backstory that Weber kind of filled in as he went.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2017, 10:29:59 pm »
Any recommendations on how to read the Harrington books?

I thought they were in chrono order? Seemed that way to me through the first dozen plus
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2017, 11:12:59 pm »
Any recommendations on how to read the Harrington books?

I thought they were in chrono order? Seemed that way to me through the first dozen plus

The core Honor books are that way. There a lot of spin-off series that are set in the Honorverse, including some prequel books about how humans met Treecats for the first time, but I haven't read any of those so I can't really speak to how they fit in to everything.

Klingsor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2017, 06:42:45 am »
I have just finished Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by James D. Hornfischer. It was an interesting read and he makes plain the human cost but I was not entirely satisfied with it, I think I wanted something a little colder and more analytical whereas this was aimed at a more general audience. With that reservation still worth a read.

For bedtime reading I have Warship 2017, an article or two a night is quite settling. So far interesting enough but nothing earth shattering and dangerously it has book reviews.