Author Topic: Virginia Spartan Demo Day  (Read 3261 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Virginia Spartan Demo Day
« on: March 26, 2016, 12:36:19 am »
Gents,

After listening in on what our Colorado MBS comrades have planned, I think it might be time to do one or more Spartan demo days at some of the local stores, to see if we can boost interest in those games in general and our membership in DWVA/FAVA as well. I think the key stores for us to consider are:

E&E (Alexandria)
Patriot Games (Woodbridge)
Game Vault (Fredricksburg)

My vision was to have 3 or so table set up, one to demo FSA, one for Halo, and another for DW. We would need three demo runners for that.

As for timing, definitely after Adepticon! I'm thinking late April, maybe May. This might even be something that we do at different stores over the period of a few weeks. What do you guys think?

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Spartan Demo Day
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 07:42:59 pm »
Count me in unless there is a conflict on the day.
I certainly can help at the Game Vault, I have enough stuff to cover all players for DW, and have one good DA fleet.
Patriot games is a new name for the Woodbridge store? , An "OK" place to game and close enough that I can get there easily. E&E I assume I can help as well.
I have no Halo stuff.

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 08:22:40 pm »
If game vault I will look into driving up
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:52:11 am »
Depends on the date, but i am down.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:41:52 pm »
Hey all! Just wanted to let you know, I have have reserved Saturday 14 May for a Spartan day at E&E. Is anyone interested in coming?

Creon

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:01:20 am »
I will be there, and will notify Doug it was you. There was some curiousity.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 12:17:32 pm »
That's actually really funny, since Doug was there when I wrote it down on the calendar  ;D. I'll mention it myself this afternoon; I'm stopping by to pick up a few things I've ordered.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:22:52 pm by Ruckdog »

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 03:36:53 pm »
I will be there.
Let me know how I can help.
You know what I have,
Mike G

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 03:37:54 pm »
I will look into setting one up for the Game Vault after we see how this one goes.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 09:02:00 am »
So, I talked it over with Doug on Friday when I stopped in to pick up some orders that had come in. He has asked that we include Halo Fleet Battles in the mix, which I can fully support (I have two painted fleets to bring to the table). My thought was that we could grab two tables and set them up to run at least two games at the same time. I was thinking that we could have one game of DW going, and then use the other table for Halo or Firestorm Armada. I think it might be good to limit the games to two hour blocks, something like this:

1200-1400
Table 1: DW
Table 2: Halo

1400-1600
Table 2: FSA

1600-1800
Table 2: Halo

What do you guys think? I'll bring my MBS buttons and poker chips along to hand out.

I will look into setting one up for the Game Vault after we see how this one goes.

I will be happy to help out with this one as well; I'll just need to coordinate the date with the wife ;).

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 08:31:47 pm »
Sounds just fine. I would suggest relatively small point sizes for the first two rounds, perhaps two players to a side with 800 points each? Or just too players at 800 points depending on attendance.
One round (presume the last) could be large just to show the models- either with an average number of squadrons but some expensive models like dreads and such in play. Or simply more Larges and below. (3K).

Straight meeting engagements with field orders? Or simple scenario?

I can bring my Dindrenzi and RSN Patrol Squadrons, even if I don't play FSA ( whatever is needed)
No HALO here- I reserve my High Altitude Low Opening activities for other venues.

I'm more interested in "On the bounce!" stories.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 06:23:13 am »
Yeah, I was thinking low point values myself. We should also be flexible about "dealing in"  passers by to try an activation or two...we are trying to show off the games and do demos, after all.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 08:59:40 am »
Perhaps we can set up some squadrons/task forces as late arrivals that aren't used unless a guest wants to try them for a turn or more. These could be more vanilla units without a lot of special weapons or MARs. Keep the mechanics loose when computing range, LOS, fire arc, etc. for our guests.

Have stat cards available.
I can have more copies of the overall cheat sheets from the Element 270 folks.

Perhaps a printed list of key games mechanics with reminder notes on how they work- exploding 6s, MARS, Linked fire, turning points/template, turn sequence, fire sequence, (auxiliary fire first- simultaneous AA to AA, Defensive counter attacks, the ordnance, etc.) .
Perhaps a sample sequence for resolving rockets/torpedoes attacks and one for guns/shields.Used when it comes up.

We are going to saying or talking about these anyway- some notes and talking points should help.
I won't bother if folks thinks this too much. Let me know or certainly feel free to do some yourselves.

Less likely--
If we were smart we would have some tactical guide sheets/talking points available on the guest unit/squadron strengths, weaknesses and how to play them in addition to stat cards.

Kinda like --"This squadron wants to get into RB 2 quickly but not head-on. Attack an enemy flank or weak spot."

"Two tactics often come up- multiple attacks going for a multiple single HP of damage (DR) or one big attack to try to score a Critical Hit (CR) with 2 HP damage and a Critical Hit Effect."

"Use your units that are strong on defense to screen your weaker units either before or after they activate. Start screened or end screened if you can. Balance what you can do to the attacker with what he will be able to do to you."

"Rockets can make good attacks, however they face defensive AA, possibly shields, or other defenses before the hit, so they often fail to score enough hits to create damage (DR). However if you have multiple attacks in one activation (because you have multiple ships or more than one launcher on a ship), only one of the attacks faces defensive AA and you have a better chance of creating damage. This applies to torpedoes as well."

Let me know if any of this is of interest. I am happy to just show up and play.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 11:07:53 am »
That all sounds great to me! If you want to take the lead on running the DW side of things, I will make sure we have the stuff we need for the FSA and Halo games. Since you have the newer Dindrenzi models, would you mind bringing them to use for the FSA side?

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 07:36:05 pm »
Me and my big mouth. OK sure