Author Topic: Operation Galvanic Campaign  (Read 6322 times)

Creon

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Galvanic Campaign
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:36 pm »
I'm available this Saturday at E and E if you want some more testing.  I should be there at noon.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 09:13:35 pm »
The next weekend where I am not traveling is 10 January. Anyone around then?

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 11:38:13 pm »
I'll pencil it in. got a good game with EIMC against KOB.  Boarding Ammo Detonation.  Fun.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 01:27:45 am »
Excellent. I will have My Russians ready to go with the new BG included.

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 03:19:05 pm »
Oh dear, Russians. I hear bad things about Russians. :)

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 10:24:52 pm »
Oh dear, Russians. I hear bad things about Russians. :)

Looking forward to hearing about this one.  I have played Russians most of the time.  They are fun.  And opponents do NOT like ablative armor.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 10:48:42 am »
Played the Prussians last Sunday. Close game.
AAR later.
Playing again today at Eagle and Empire.
Italians today, with some help.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Please review new scenario Operation Galvanic Campaign
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 04:52:45 pm »
I constructed a new scenario set in the Operation Galvanic environment.
It can be played outside of the campaign. It is designed around the FSA and the LoIS but can be re-engineered for different powers.
Fabius Americanus- named for Fabius Maximus who fought a delaying campaign against Hannibal in his invasion of Italy. Not a direct analogy but you get the idea.
Not a Demo game. Or even a mainstream campaign scenario.This is a complex scenario designed to drive certain tactics and strategy not commonly used in DW, but which have historical examples.
Please review. I am considering it for a convention, but it would need to be experienced players not a demo. I suspect its too complicated for most. I have participated in similar events with this level of complexity with great success.
Still all this is fun for me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 12:45:48 pm »
Very interesting read! I will have to spend a little more time digesting it all, but I like the asymmetrical mission objectives and the way that there is a built-in time crunch. If you could include some kind of basic diagram that shows how you intend to lay out the table, that would help a lot, though. I'm having trouble visualizing everything that you describe in the scenario. One thing that concerns me is the line that "carriers have to move full speed ahead to make it off the table in time." As long as that fact is well understood by the FSA player(s), that will be fine, but that objective could easily be forgotten or else a CV could take an "engines damaged" critical that would throw everything out of whack.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »
I will send a diagram.
I can emphasize the time crunch. Eight turns is a lot.
Possibly too many but at six inches a move the battle ground is too short for a delaying action with fewer turns. The idea is that the FSA needs to commit hard or run.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 04:51:33 pm »
The idea is that the FSA needs to commit hard or run

Truer words have never been spoken about the FSA! Go all in, or go home.  ;D
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 09:51:38 am »
I have scenario set up photos that will help show the geography.
Go to link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m7856i0u7rn4vno/AAD8GIWAA2UEB-ZT9aqoNWtKa?dl=0
The geography is centered on the strait which crosses the width (short) length of the board with large islands coming in on each edge about 5 inches and that have small (2-3 inches) treacherous areas adjacent, (sand bars and reefs).
There is a Massive (tall, but not overly broad- say 6 to 7 inches)  Mountain in the middle.  There will two islands (about 4-6 inches) with one each between the edge islands and the mountain. These will be set back toward the defender side (Italian side in the photos).
There is a large island on the attacker side (FSA in photos) that can set anywhere along the FSA bombing BG start line. It screen some units but distance to the exit edge will probably make it of marginal use.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:15:47 am by CDR-G »

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 10:39:43 am »
One thing that concerns me is the line that "carriers have to move full speed ahead to make it off the table in time." As long as that fact is well understood by the FSA player(s), that will be fine, but that objective could easily be forgotten or else a CV could take an "engines damaged" critical that would throw everything out of whack.
The Bombing BG that has the 6" movers will have 42 inches to go in 8 turns, if they start on their start line. If they go straight through the strait that would allow a 6 inch mover to completely exit the board in eight turns (unless they are longer than six inches). That provides a cushion of 3-4 inches since to qualify as off-the-board a model needs to have more than half its length off the edge.
Possible alternatives--Any model that gets any portion off the edge is considered to have exited as soon as that occurs.
Another modification might allow the attacker (FSA) to exit up to 6 inches in from the far edge on one side of the board. That would be known to both sides.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 10:35:58 pm »
Here is a map for the scenario. Note:the distance from the start line to the exit edge is 42 inches. The red area denotes the exit area for the Bombers

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:39:30 pm by CDR-G »