Author Topic: Allies in Dystopian Wars  (Read 2172 times)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Allies in Dystopian Wars
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:14:48 pm »
The way that I had previously been reading the rules for allies in the 2.0 version of Dystopian Wars has recently been flipped on its head. I was interpreting the rules in the same way the Firestorm Armada RAW seems to limit allies to a main force of "major" races and allies of "minor" races.

When I was visiting the rules in the Dystopian Wars rulebook again I realize that it seems your main force can consist of major or minor powers with different percentage penalties based on close allies or how your nation stacks in supposed influence (i.e. Major or minor).
This opens up fleet building even further then I originally perceived.

Have many others experimented with different allies and combinations in version 2.0?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Allies in Dystopian Wars
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 12:16:18 am »
This is an interesting topic, especially after the pasting you gave me on Sunday with your FSA and Aussie fleets. Great combination...

I used to run French aerial models with my Chinese surface fleet under v1.1. I don't have much experience with using allies in 2.0. But I have a feeling I'm going to see that combination again in the near future... >:(
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:06:46 pm »
Do the Danes ally with the Prussians? Because those new Denmark fleet releases have me pondering purchases.

Then again, I have FSA too, so I could ally either way!

I do wish the system was simpler than that crazy chart, and more like Firestorm with natural Allies etc
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 03:37:16 pm »
The Prussians and Danes are natural allies. You can take Danes in a Prussian fleet ignoring the 40% non-core restrictions. You just have to ensure you take the compulsory one large and one small.

Since you brought it up Dale. The Prussians and Danes are interesting because I don't perceive them adding much that isn't already accounted for. Seeing as the Danish fleet has multiple options for lend-lease with Prussian ships it begs the point, why bother adding them as allies. From my perspective it seems the gains do not outweigh the cons (as in, less room for nasty Prussian surprises).

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:57:25 pm »
I've always wanted to try pairing my PE and RoF fleets...this seemed like a good gambit in the past to help offset the shortcomings of both sides, as the boarding abilities of the PE filled a major hole the RoF have, while the RoF can provide a bit more long-range firepower and some good AA abilities.

Creon

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:52:58 pm »
I've been considering a Raj/Polish alliance, just because it would be silly. 

The Raj and EIMC make very good allies. 

Bogo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:54:22 am »
I'm pretty new to DW--but it strikes me as odd that "Close Allies" do not work reciprocally.  I am specifically referring to RC and PLC.  The PLC is a "Close Ally" of the RC--but the RC is not a "Close Ally" of the PLC.  Thus, my combined RC/PLC forces pretty much have to be led by a RC commodore (or suffer significant build restrictions).

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:10:57 am »
I'm pretty new to DW--but it strikes me as odd that "Close Allies" do not work reciprocally.  I am specifically referring to RC and PLC.  The PLC is a "Close Ally" of the RC--but the RC is not a "Close Ally" of the PLC.  Thus, my combined RC/PLC forces pretty much have to be led by a RC commodore (or suffer significant build restrictions).

Am I interpreting this correctly?

From my immediate recollection I believe that you are correct you will hampered by the non-core 40%. I think the way they explain it in the book is that minor powers (PLC) do not have the political power to demand other powers support them...don't have the rule book with me at work but I think that's how they put it.
It's notable that you can take a core minor power with a major powers support at all. In Firestorm Armada that isn't even a possibility.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Bogo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:21:43 am »
Thanks for the response.  I suppose that makes some sense.  The PLC are willing to operate under the command of a RC commodore--but not vice versa.

Quickdraw

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 12:49:19 pm »
That's a good way to put it (or maybe the Poles just make inferior vodka ;))

Bogo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 06:24:26 pm »
Nice!  Definitely not true.  But nice!

captainrockman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 01:36:30 pm »
Quickdraw and I already talked about this, but I think it is worth mentioning in this thread.

For allies, you don't have to bring 1 large and 1 small. The rule says 1 capital and 1 non-capital squadron. So, that opens allies up to bringing a lot of mediums as well, and saves points that would be spent on an obligatory large model.