Poll

Which Point Level, and Why?

>1000
1000 - 2000
2000<

Author Topic: What Point Level Do You Perfer to Play  (Read 1901 times)

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
What Point Level Do You Perfer to Play
« on: July 11, 2015, 11:23:33 am »
Curious as to what other folks think of when it comes to point values. While lower games can be fun and completed in decent time, it can be just as fun to duel it out on the larger scale!
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What Point Level Do You Perfer to Play
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:32:54 am »
To be honest I love them all, but the 1500 to 2000 pointers seem to be my favorites. I don't get to play as often as I like anymore, so taking a few hours to have a solid bout are pretty fulfilling. Also I can see how certain lists, or more specifically certain units, function throughout a game. With a 1000 point game I feel like there are only two real turns before things are decided. By having enough units to apply the counter punch in turn three or four makes the players really think about where they want to move units. Maybe I have more of the "chess match" mindset, where I want to see a plan unfold. Anyway what do y'all  think?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 06:23:33 pm »
It's rare that I play a game over 1200 points. I certainly would like to, but it just doesn't happen often due to time constraints.

What I always find funny is that 1200 points seems like a lot, but it sure can fill up quick!!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 09:23:00 am »
Yeah, it's crazy how quick a list can fill up! Especially with the new model values in 2.0...or is it 2.1 now. I like to take the full squad limit on units so maybe that is a bit of a problem. Though I feel like they were designed stat wise to work that way. I.E. Cruisers or Bimber squads. Not taking the full compliment makes me think the units with be a waste and destroyed off the bat.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:46:42 am »
Most often, it seems like I'm playing at around the 1000 point level. Sometimes I've played up to about 1200, but I think I've only played a handful of games bigger than that. I have also played a goodly number of 800-ish point games, as MadDrB and I found that to be about as big as you would want to go for a multi-round event. At 800 points, you can usually get at least to turn 3 or 4 within 2 hours, which is a reasonable point to call a game and set up for the next round. I definitely agree though, lists fill up fast in DW! More and more, there are lots of tough choices to make with list construction, especially for the core factions.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:07:40 pm »
If time is issue then 750-800 points is the answer.
For larger point games it is not hard to get ther without a lot of units.
I have long thought time and balance are best served by a restriction on the number of activations
I officially people tend to be within two activations. I would like see games with activations as part of the complexity decision. 800 points with no fewer than 6 activations, including squadron support.
Or 1350 but no more than 10 activations makes for some interesting fleets

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 06:04:13 pm »
Hmmm.... Now THAT is an interesting concept. Fleet building with activation limits. So, in other words, you can field a 1500-point fleet, but that fleet must have no more than a specified number of activations per turn? Interesting...

I could see that restriction making admirals bring some expensive units, and maxing out all their squadrons. Might have to try incorporating that rule sometime.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 07:54:36 am »
This reminds me of a discussion CDR-G and I once had over a DW game at GV...the idea that 1200 point games often took no more time to play than 800, assuming that the players got to 1200 points by taking several bigger units. I had forgotten all about that point! Although, I think the observation that it is really the number of activations that tend to govern game length more than points gets more directly to the heart of the matter, and is spot on. 

Landlubber, I agree that implementing an activation limit would be a great way to both balance games and keep them from going too long. I wonder if there are any factions that would be disproportionally affected by such a rule? I can't think of any off the top my head, but that could be a problem with implementing an activation limit in a tournament setting.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 04:05:16 pm »
I like the idea of limited activations as well.  i think the result on the table would be the minimum number of small squadrons (frigates/destroyers) so you could max points with larger stuff.  I like bringing several frigate squadrons (especially them pesky Russian ones) but if someone really wants to do that, you'll see multiple heavies (dreadnoughts, carriers and heavy battleships) to suck up points and limit activations.  Might be interesting to see a table full of biggies like that.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:58:22 am »
By limiting activations you can really turn list building into more of a science. Like Mark said, if you want to take a few squadrons of frigates then you'll need to mash in more larger ships to make up the points within the activation limit. However, you still need to consider the mandatory restrictions for fleet composition.
This makes fleet composition a lot more similar to Firestorm Armada. Where you are limited to the numbers of different classes and sizes of ship rather then a general percentage based on size.

I'm thinking this might be best implemented in larger games (1500 to 2500 points) where I've seen activations per side vary the most. In most of my games around 1000 or 1200 the activations are always fairly balanced.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 12:19:26 pm »
Hmm interesting thoughts on the use of activation limits instead of points. I suppose as long as you and your opponent are ok with the rule t would pass. Though I agree with Quickdraw on the point limit needing to be in the higher ranges to work successfully. To often in large games does one player end up being able to use 3, 4, or more extra units/squadrons, while their opponent has run out at the end of a turn. Normally I see this as being an issue when there are more SAS on one side of the table.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 01:44:52 pm »
To often in large games does one player end up being able to use 3, 4, or more extra units/squadrons, while their opponent has run out at the end of a turn. Normally I see this as being an issue when there are more SAS on one side of the table.

Agreed! Anytime I see a carrier on one side and no carrier on the other you can be fairly certain one side will have at least 2 or 3 extra activations. I also notice it when partial strength frigate and destroyer squadrons are utilized.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 06:15:24 pm »
Yeah, the "activation management" game has definitely become a part of the game's meta, at least for some players. And it makes sense, as it is an important part of the game and one that is not overly regulated in the rules as written.