Author Topic: The Great V2.0 Thread!  (Read 3938 times)

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
The Great V2.0 Thread!
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:00:20 am »
I thought I 'd open this discussion to let people compare notes on V2.0.  When 1.5 came out I found that there were lots of little aspects of the rules that individually folks had looked over and it wasn't until we'd compared notes that the full set of changes became apparent. 

I'll kick it off by noting that Linked Fire now works a lot like Firestorm Armada, but with the distinction that halves round UP.  So, now Linking is:

<focus weapon's AD> + <ROUNDUP(sum of all supporting weapons' AD / 2)>

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
Re: The Great V2.0 Thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 03:48:17 pm »
Should be easier math for me.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 04:51:12 pm »
Great idea Stephan.  I'll be able to contribute once I have the new rules.   :)

But in the meantime...yeah, that new rounding up is nice.  Going to take a little while to get used to that.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:59:30 pm »
What the what. Ok now I'm a bit jealous, why dont I get to round up in FA! Lol
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:04:38 pm »
What the what. Ok now I'm a bit jealous, why dont I get to round up in FA! Lol

Ha!  Take it up with Spartan, man.  :)

One other difference that I like in 2.0 is model placement.  Large/massive models get placed first, so now there's no more of that little dance when placing to see what's going where.

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:18:27 pm »
I didn't see that bit about placement, good to know.

Did you note the LoS is changed and is now 2-way?  Used to be that a big firing model could see over intervening models if the firing model was two sizes larger than the intervening model.  Now, that is still true AND a small firing model can see over intervening models so long as the target is 2 sizes larger than the intervening.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 04:57:51 pm »
I didn't see that bit about placement, good to know.

Did you note the LoS is changed and is now 2-way?  Used to be that a big firing model could see over intervening models if the firing model was two sizes larger than the intervening model.  Now, that is still true AND a small firing model can see over intervening models so long as the target is 2 sizes larger than the intervening.

I *think* that placement is correct! based on the few games of 2.0 I've played thus far with Josh.

Yes, the line-of-sight thing is nice.  Now frigates don't block each other when shooting at battleships.   :)

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:44 am »
In the new rules, the fleet composition rules first call for all players to first agree on Core Force Type (Air, Land, Sea), the Max Points, and Theater of Engagement (primarily Land or Water terrain).

Minimum force requirements still apply.  At least one Large or Massive, one Medium, and one Small squadron from the Core Force Type.  Attachments don't count towards this minimum.

Percentages have been added.  You must have at least 60% of your points allocated towards the Core Force Type.  In addition, there are Max percentages for each size category.  No more than 60% towards Large and Massive, no more than 60% towards Mediums, and no more than 40% towards Smalls.

Allies are allowed with player agreement, but cannot be more than 40% of the total fleet points.  Page 190 of the rule book lists ally options.

You still get 10 free wings of Support Aircraft (Tiny Flyers).

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 01:38:28 pm »
Disorder just got UGLY!  Check out the Restore Order section on pg 139.  If your squadron is Disordered in the End Phase, you have to roll a D3 and then subtract that number from AP or HP (in any combination) from across your squadron.  Order is then restored and you can remove the Disorder marker. 

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 02:15:37 pm »
Some key things to note for the different fleets.  At the end of each fleet's section in the rulebook, they have a Universal Rules section.  These rules apply to all of the factions Models unless stated otherwise.

Prussians:  All have Rugged Construction (1).
Brits:  All have Engineers (Experienced) and all have Redoubtable (Primary Weapons).
FSA:  All have Sharpshooters.
Blazing Sun:  All with Rocket Ordinance have Incendiary (Rockets) Munitions and all have Incendiary (Primary Weapons) Munitions Type.
Covenant:  All have Sturginium (Primary Weapons) Munition Type, all with Torpedoes have Faster Torpedoes, all Surface Mines have the High Payload (Mine) Munition Type.
Republic of France:  All have the Redoubtable (Ack Ack) MAR.
Russians:  All have the Concussive (Primary Weapons) Munition Type.  All Russian Heavy Mortars have the Area Bombardment MAR.  All models, including Support Aircraft, have the heavy Ack-Ack MAR.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 04:37:57 pm »
Some key things to note for the different fleets.  At the end of each fleet's section in the rulebook, they have a Universal Rules section.  These rules apply to all of the factions Models unless stated otherwise.

Prussians:  All have Rugged Construction (1).
Brits:  All have Engineers (Experienced) and all have Redoubtable (Primary Weapons).
FSA:  All have Sharpshooters.
Blazing Sun:  All with Rocket Ordinance have Incendiary (Rockets) Munitions and all have Incendiary (Primary Weapons) Munitions Type.
Covenant:  All have Sturginium (Primary Weapons) Munition Type, all with Torpedoes have Faster Torpedoes, all Surface Mines have the High Payload (Mine) Munition Type.
Republic of France:  All have the Redoubtable (Ack Ack) MAR.
Russians:  All have the Concussive (Primary Weapons) Munition Type.  All Russian Heavy Mortars have the Area Bombardment MAR.  All models, including Support Aircraft, have the heavy Ack-Ack MAR.

Also, remember that the faction rulesets are available as free PDF downloads from Spartan's resource page.  The rules in the PDF files for each nation have, as I understand, already changed from what is in the Commodore's edition of the rulebook.  I imagine stuff like the Universal rules for the faction won't change, but they'll likely make tweaks here and there to other things. 

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 04:42:01 pm »
Disorder just got UGLY!  Check out the Restore Order section on pg 139.  If your squadron is Disordered in the End Phase, you have to roll a D3 and then subtract that number from AP or HP (in any combination) from across your squadron.  Order is then restored and you can remove the Disorder marker.

Yeah.  It's nice that you know you can get the squadrons re-ordered, but you do have to pay the price. 

At least they didn't do it like Dystopian Legions:  if a unit becomes shaken (disordered), it takes a morale check on three red dice (6's count for two successes and explode), needing two successes; if it fails, then the next time it tries to activate it takes a second morale check, this time on three blue dice (6's count for two successes but do not explode), needing two successes; if it fails, it takes a final morale check on it's next activation, on three black dice (6's count as one hit), again needing two successes.  If it fails the third check, the unit retreats off the board.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 06:48:26 pm »
OMG...  Just shoot the traitor!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 12:17:39 am »
OMG...  Just shoot the traitor!

Ha!  Yeah, exactly.  Does make for some strange events, though...like when my infantry attacked a Prussian tankette in melee and it became disorders, then retreated off the board...and none of them have anti-tank weapons!

So to continue the 2.0 discussion...I can't say how happy I am that bombs are now 360-degree arc.  My strike bombers have 12" of movement and a 0" turn limit, which means they can hit a target and swing around in a hurry for another pass.  Doesn't hurt that they are great looking little models and I love getting them out on the table anyway!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 11:06:49 pm »
Ok, I've got a some questions about bringing allies in 2.0.  This is on page 134-135 in the Admiral's edition rulebook. I'll use my Chinese Federation (CF).

The CF is a Minor Power in the Imperial Bond; the Major Power Imperial Bond nations include Empire of the Blazing Sun (EotBS), Republiqu