Author Topic: FSA New Aerial Box  (Read 8598 times)

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
FSA New Aerial Box
« on: August 09, 2013, 08:03:21 am »
So I heard that the new stats are out for the New Orleans and the two sets of bombers, as well as an update to the Freedom class Robots. However I have yet to find them. Does anyone know where these are posted? Thanks!
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: FSA New Aerial Box
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:25:16 am »
Where did you hear that the stats were out for the new flyers?  I checked Spartan's "Resources" page where all of the downloads can be found, and I didn't see anything for the New Orleans or the new bombers.  There's a stat card there for the Freedom-class small flying robot, but since I'm at work I can't compare the download with the card I have to see what the difference is.

I am excited about the new flyers, though.  Will definitely be adding those to my fleet.

And the pile of unpainted resin just keeps getting bigger and bigger....
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:09:48 pm »
There is some mighty suspect chatter on the Spartan forum under the aerial box set. Sadly I too am at work, so the site is blocked. I thought it may have been something released to those who actually have accounts there, but due to a forgotten password and shody forum support i'm blocked out womp womp. Anyway a few ppl are "excited" about the new flier stats, so figured they were out.

Thankfully i'm nearly caught up with all my painting and just in time for a few games tomorrow at E&E!! Pretty pumped as i am 2-10 against the EotBS and hoping the freshly painted Dread can help that. Agreed on the new set tho. THIS WILL HAPPEN! So many fliers...so many

oh and the stat card for the Freedom online is the same as the one currently out...

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 06:06:29 pm »
I'll have to check the forums later and see if I can find the discussion.  You've piqued my curiousity.  Am REALLY looking forward to those new flyers--I like the look of the airplanes, and the blimp looks like a streamlined Valley-class. 

If you remember to, take some pics of your battles this weekend and write up a battle report.  Always good to see model ships in action.  And if you've got finished models, let's see some pics in the Showcase section! 

Yes, that FSA dread should help against the Japanese...I had an FSA dread rip open my Chinese battleship last night like a can of sardines.    ???

Good hunting tomorrow!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 11:11:49 am »
It's on the Spartan forums, under the Dystopian Wars Playtester Thread, p. 87:

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/3730-dystopian-wars-playtester-thread/page-87

It's about halfway down the page, posted on 23 July.  Shouldn't need an account to view that thread.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 10:42:22 pm »
Well that's was a read, thanks!! Still absolutely want this set, but I see myself using the "air hunting" PYB-2's more than anything else. New blimp seems legit as well. Our current campaign maxes out at 1200, so would really only see it in "exhibition" type games. Prof. Fix-it is amazing however!

Out of our little group there is only one submersable...the Ika. So despite being so pretty dunno how good the strike bombers would do. It would be fun to give the "Ik" a bit of damage with them tho. Instead of just running away from it. (I like to think of it as the guy rushing to catch a train pulling away from the station).

Speaking of the EoBS...couldn't help but read up on their new new. So much fire...so much. Oddly enough my EoBS buddy at the game yesterday told me he was making a bunch of Raging Fire columns...he hadn't even read the new rules yet. So I'm sure THAT will be oh so fun  :(

The changes to the Freedom are pretty interesting. Since i'll soon have a surplus of them can't help but imagine them diving out of the clouds, to coast along just above the waves (that new MAR is fantastic!!) playing search and destroy. Not to mention the bump up to DR+1

Game ended up being another loss.  :-[ but I'll try to get up the game pics soon, along with the latest scheme and pacific themed islands

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:19:10 pm »
I think the Freedoms are now going to be a serious force to be reckoned with.  I haven't used them much up to this point, but I foresee that changing.

Agreed on the repair ship.  I see running it at the skimmer level behind the main force, repairing where needed and staying out of everyone's line of fire.  Maybe once the enemy has been sufficiently bloodied, it could pop up and start throwing rockets. 

I've already got the box set on order!!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 09:41:51 am »
The A5 booklet for the new FSA aerial box set is now available from Spartan's "Resources" page.

I find the PYB-2's interesting.  They're like a smaller version of the A-17, but with rockets. A full squadron can throw 15 rockets at RB3.  That will be lethal for small ships and dangerous for mediums.  And since they are not capital class, they'll be hitting small targets on 4+.  I see a role for these as small ship killers--splitting them up into twos attacking different targets, that's still 9 rocket AD--likely enough to kill individual corvettes, frigates, and destroyers (unless, of course, you roll dice like I do!)

With 10" of movement, you might just be able to keep them in orbit in RB3 so as to maximize their damage potential (and increase their survivability).  But, they have a blessed 3 HP, meaning they *should* survive at least their first engagement, and damage doesn't affect rockets, so they'll be dangerous until they're shot down.

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:40:11 pm »
Becoming more and more enamored with this box set. Just a matter of time till the wallet catches up to the wishlist!

Agreed on the PYB. Putting out 15 dice at RB3, they become pretty formidable against most ships. Even a 9+9 one two punch is more than pretty decent. I really like the idea of taking them out on smalls. Been plotting on how to go after them lately, but I guess I should save that for the tactics section.

Im still a little confused on how the Salvage Crew MAR works. The do it all HQ/Repair ship can reclaim the boarders on a prized ship?? Moving at just 6" i'm a bit worried that this ship wont be able to keep up with the a faster fleet. There would be a classic race against time scenario, as he New Orleans trudged towards whatever injured target. Not to mention that damaged ship is probably going to continue to be under fire the whole way in. Perhaps that's why they gave it such amazing rocket and broadside power!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 07:32:18 pm »
Not sure on the Salvage MAR myself--haven't really looked into it.  Regarding your other comment, though, about not being able to keep up with the fleet...I suspect that the Salvage MAR will be used to repair critical effects on important ships--likely battleships, dreadnoughts, and carriers.  I wouldn't want to waste the repair ability on anything below a battleship, I believe, especially since, as you pointed out, that will take the airship into harm's way (since smaller ships tend to close with the enemy faster).

I have a suspicion that the first several times I field this airship, it's going to be a fire magnet for everything on the board that can reach it.  Which is fine with me--allows my other ships to wade in and start punching holes in hulls!  But we'll see.  I intend, at first, to field it skulking behind the capital ships, both for protection and so it's closeby in case there is a need for repairs.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my box set comes this week.....

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 01:19:07 pm »
Aaaaaaaaand.....

STILL haven't gotten the new FSA aerial box set.  Issue with the distributor at my local FLGS. They sent the FSA Air Cav section for Dystopian Legions, which was cool (and which I purchased), but now they can't get the new FSA aerial box in stock.  Not like I don't already have many, many models piling up waiting to be painted, but still...

Anyone else get their hands on it yet?  If so, please post some pics!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 05:44:29 pm »
Looks interesting! I'm hoping you get yours soon, Landlubber! The one aerial game I played with MadDrB had an interesting feel to it, so I am definitely OK with Spartan branching out further in this direction.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 11:14:48 am »
Finally got it!  Actually, it came in about a month ago, but between work, life, holidays, and travel (personal and business) I'm just now sitting down to write this up.

First off:  the New Orleans-class airship.

This is one good-looking airship!  It has a very industrial look to it, which is fitting given it's role as a repair ship.

Slightly bigger than the Valley-class, it still packs a mean punch--even fires rockets in RB1!

The boxed set comes with some industrial-looking chain and hook attachments that can be mounted underneath the airship--you can see the mounting points here:

I likely won't use these--this model has the "Low Level" MAR, meaning it can get down on the surface and act as a skimmer.  So I'm going to trim down a large flight stand to indicate this flight level.

The New Orleans-class has two forward-facing rocket batteries, one in the nose and one mounted under the wings.  The wing-mounted rockets look pretty cool:

I've used this airship once so far.  The ability to conduct repairs on the go is outstanding, and was somewhat frustrating to my Prussian opponent.  But since I've been raked over the coals several times by Prussian players, I didn't feel too badly for him.

The other models in the box are the PYB-2 medium flyer and the A-3 strike bomber--one full squadron of each:

The PYB-2 is awesome.  Its only offensive weapon is fixed-forward rockets, but as a medium it can really put the screws to small ships.  Full squadron strength is 4 aircraft, and the amount of rockets it can throw even at RB3 is lethal to small ships.

Two more great things about the PYB-2:  it has 3 HP, and rockets aren't affected by damage.  So it can survive an initial critical hit, and still has full firepower until shot down.

I haven't yet used the A-3 strike bomber, but I REALLY like the look of the model:

Reminds me of a cross between an F4 Corsair from WW2 and a modern A-10 Warthog.  This is strictly a bomber, and with the "Water Hunter" MAR it should be very effective against diving models, but I find myself wishing it was more versatile so I'd have good reason to use it more often--simply because I like the way it looks!  The PYB-2 is effective against both surface and flying targets, but is a fairly ugly bird in my opinion...

Here's a size comparison with the A-17:

I'll try to post some action shots at some point.  Thanks for reading!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 04:50:37 pm »
Nice pics, thanks for posting. The new metal aircraft are really interesting. I like the concept of a rocket-armed attack plane! Those gull-wings really do scream Corsair!

Stitch_Reloaded

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 01:18:08 am »
Oh my, the detail on that airship is amazing.  Gotta give it to Spartan Games, got one hell of a modeling team!

Stitch
I find accuracy increases exponentially when more rounds are placed down range.