Author Topic: MBS Podcast Episode 43  (Read 2069 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
MBS Podcast Episode 43
« on: December 08, 2019, 04:53:33 pm »

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2019/12/08/episode-43/

After an (unintenionally) long delay, Episode 43 of the MBS Podcast is here! Greg and Andy catch up a bit, and then spend a little time looking back at 2019 and looking forward to what 2020 may have in store!

This will unfortunately be the last episode for about 6 months, due to Andy’s upcoming deployment. MBS will be back and better than ever starting in June/July 2020, so see you then!

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Podcast Episode 43
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 05:32:10 am »
Great Podcast as always chaps.  Next year certainly looks interesting.  I wonder if Warlord has anything else hidden up its sleeves?

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 05:17:38 pm »
Great Podcast as always chaps.

Agreed. Some nice summastion of the year, and a few intriguing ideas for the next. I note no predictions for the year specifically . . Giving up on that excercise, are we? :D I might just have afew prognostications myself :)

In any event, have to agree about Warlord and their naval gaems; Cruel Seas really did open some eyes about the small baot actions of WW2 and made it accesible enough for the gaming community as a whole as well. I think the choice os scale was superb, apart from my onw belief in 6mm/1;300th as "God's Own Scale" but also for the sheer bulk of useful items for WW2 in that sacle at present. And Black seas is looking poised to do a grand job at popularising Age Of Sail.

I wonder if Warlord has anything else hidden up its sleeves?

. . . . We all live in hope ( That "we" embarces everyone from Uncharted Seas and Man'O'War fans all the way through to certain Star Wars players, OGRE afficionadoes and a handful of other dock rats  ;D )

Looking forward to your return to the audible frequencies, gents!

KazadHarri

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:07:19 am »
Sorry for the delay, but we will keep the home fires burning while you are enjoying the deployment.  Stay safe. 

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 02:31:36 pm »
Good episode, and I like the focus on the lack of a coherent Sci Fi Fleet game.
SW Armada has disappointed me, as most local players flock to the FFG "wombo-combo" style of play. Also the lack of Prequel ships, as you mention. They could win me back in with prequels ships, and a new starter for such, but I'm not holding my breath.
Ditto on the lack of Dropfleet on shelves. I dunno what their "strategy" is, but even the LGS owners they haven't alienated don't/won't carry it locally.
I wish game systems I know are solid, like War Rocket on the simple end, and FULL THRUST on the complex end, could find investment to push them out like a Class A game. Because the key is always - what does everybody else want to play? I can always find someone for a retro game play, like breaking out the Babylon 5. But for something to feel new and relevant and truly satisfying, you need that variety of locals engaged.

If I had ONE wish for 2020, its simply that Battlefleet Gothic returns, and NOT in a one box, or two faction format, but as a planned ongoing game encompassing all the factions. As a 30K setting, I might accept it... but Lady please, don't make it boutique prices like Adeptus Titanicus.

I probably need to circle back to the Battlestar game  - what I really wish is someone would graft that movement system onto a fleet level, varying weapons profile, kind of game.

I do plan to get the Oak and Iron stuff when the LGS gets their retailer sets in … so I look forward to your discussions about it. And with your enthusiasm, I'll give Cruel Seas a second look.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:42:02 pm »
Thanks all for the kinds words and we're glad you enjoyed the podcast.

Dakkar, as luck would have it BrdngPrty contacted me last week about Dropfleet--apparently Colpar Hobbies in Denver (the Havana street location) ran a Dropfleet event over this past weekend, and supposedly it's going to be regular thing. I don't think I've ever seen any Dropfleet product on their shelves, so not sure, but I'm intrigued. I was out of town and wasn't able to attend, so I'm going to contact BrdngPrty and get the scoop.

The BSG game is good but it is developing slowly...I *think* the Viper Mk VII is now out, so that's three distinct ships for the Colonials (Vipers Mk II and Mk VII and Raptor), and two for the Cylons (Raider and Heavy Raider). There are a couple of noticeable variants for the Raptor, the SAR/ECM variant and the Assault Variant. It's a solid ruleset and the minis are great but if you're looking for a huge variety in your forces, it probably isn't the game for you. I'm enjoying it and I'll likely run a scenario at Koboldcon in Colorado Springs in April.

Will let you know when I get my Oak and Iron pledge rewards--I should be able to get down there for a Sunday game or something like that. Unfortunately we won't get a chance to review it on the podcast until Andy gets back!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 02:35:15 pm »
I look forward to the BSG event at K-Con!

Dropfleet would be a stretch locally, but let me know how it develops. With recent GW news that a BFG reboot isn't even in work yet, that's years away at best. So I need me a damn spaceship game … <looks at WAR ROCKET ships...>

Oak and Iron will probably have a strong following down here for Historicals Sundays

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 11:17:41 pm »
I still need to get into War Rocket, dangit. If you're jonesing for a spaceship game, don't forget I have a massive amount of Covenant and UNSC ships for Halo Fleet Battles. I know it's a dead game but it's still a good ruleset. Let me know if you're ever interested in playing.

Yeah it sounds like we're going to get the Oak and Iron pledge rewards sometime in March. Based on the pics I'm seeing and what I'm reading online about it, I think it's going to be a LOT of fun. Will set up a Sunday gaming session with you as soon as I get the pieces assembled. We can fumble through the rules together.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 12:19:26 pm »
Bring HALO to KoboldCon, and we'll at least do a pick-up game :-) I do still enjoy that system.

If Stephan can bring his War Rocket down, or I can borrow Forrest's stuff, we can do a learning game at K-Con or otherwise. This will motivate me to finish War Fleet Ajax …

And I recently found another Dindrenzi Fleet, and still have my Syndicate, if you ever want a Firestorm match for old times sake.  :-)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 11:31:01 pm »
I probably won't have time to do a pick-up game of Halo Fleet Battles at Koboldcon, but maybe I'll run another game of it officially. Didn't have any trouble filling slots last year. I actually wanted to run a game of Halo Ground Command but I won't have enough miniatures painted in time (I know, I know, I've had it for three years--I'm working on it).

I've played War Rocket a couple times and enjoyed it...I just need to bite the bullet and get a fleet. Kinda partial to the Galacteers and the pirate faction.

Firestorm was...just ok, in my opinion. I started with Dystopian Wars, and was pretty well versed in that game system by the time I picked up a Firestorm fleet. The game systems were just too similar to me--it felt like Dystopian Wars "in spaaaaaaaaaace...". Didn't help that I picked the RSN (based solely on aesthetics) and never could get them to work for me. Really liked the models though. But all of the above is why I'm interested to see what Warcradle does with the Firestorm universe--I was never as attached as I was to Dystopian Wars, so if they make a bunch of radical background and model changes, it won't bother me as much.