Author Topic: My First Attempt At A DW Scratchbuild.  (Read 2106 times)

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
My First Attempt At A DW Scratchbuild.
« on: July 23, 2019, 12:49:03 am »
 So, After a long time finding parts, making decisions and some actual work, here's a shot of my first try at a homebrewed model for DW -

The write-up is there with it, and since this photo was taken some painting has been done. Basically, I had the idea from recieving a job lot of items which included a damaged Brunel Class land carrier, and I reasoned that with the tracks cut from it it woudl resemble nothing so much as a huge barge with a carrier deck added; Given the Free Australian fluff and real-world details like their coal indutsry in the time period,with barges easily available, and a need to be able to project forces into the Pacific and the Arfaura Sea. a grandious gesture of national pride like an assualt carrier to rival both the Raj and the Britannians made weltpolitik sense at least.

Have yet to work out stats for the beast in 2.5, though I'm leaning towards Carrier (5, 2x4 SAW wings ), Artillery with range bands 2, 3 and 4 and a 90 degree Fore arc, 4 crocodile assualt subs and a fore fixed-channel battery of frigate sized guns, with limited broadsides.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 05:49:00 am by Covertwalrus »

Sebenko

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 20
    • View Profile
Re: My First Attempt At A DW Scratchbuild.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 07:14:15 am »
While we're showing DW things we made, here's a 3D model I was working on for a landship-themed game.
We'll make our own DW! With scratch builds and 3D models!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:21:11 am by Sebenko »

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 01:19:40 am »
So, After a long time finding parts, making decisions and some actual work, here's a shot of my first try at a homebrewed model for DW -

The write-up is there with it, and since this photo was taken some painting has been done. Basically, I had the idea from recieving a job lot of items which included a damaged Brunel Class land carrier, and I reasoned that with the tracks cut from it it would resemble nothing so much as a huge barge with a carrier deck added; Given the Free Austaralian fluff and real-world details like their coal industry in the time period,with barges easily avaiable, and a need to be able to project forces into the Pacific and the Arafura Sea. a grandious gesture of national pride like an assualt carrier to rival both the Raj and the Britannians made weltpolitik sense at least.

Have yet to work out stats for the beast in 2.5, though I'm leaning towards Carrier (5, 2x4 SAW wings ), Artillery with range bands 2, 3 and 4 and a 90 degree Fore arc, 4 crocodile assualt subs and a fore fixed-channel battery of frigate sized guns, with limited broadsides.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 04:32:45 am »
Could add a crocodile launch capacity, some rugged and a guardian gen.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 02:39:49 am »
Could add a crocodile launch capacity, some rugged and a guardian gen.

I mentioned the Crocodiles I thought? Thinking of a capacity of 4. And an External Sheild Generator is part of the build. That I might do as (2), 8" range.

Sebenco, nice work! Looks very suitable for All Quiet On The Martian Front as well if you don't mind me saying so.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 01:14:50 pm »
You did, I don't know how I missed it!

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 11:44:35 pm »

Well, I have mentioned it here I think - http://www.manbattlestations.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=67

This has yet to be play-tested, so the points value might go up or down, however probably not bymuch ( I might not *play* games well, nevertheless I design and call points costs pretty well I am informed by other players who who are kind enough to use my meagre inventions )

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 03:28:19 pm »
Nice, what was your motivation in the custom unit, were you looking to use the carrier as an addition to your force for a role not currently in that faction, or as a replacement for a faction unit that was not measuring up?
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 10:19:26 pm »
what was your motivation in the custom unit, were you looking to use the carrier as an addition to your force for a role not currently in that faction, or as a replacement for a faction unit that was not measuring up?

Good question - It was more the former; Aussies have no carrier in the basic rules and Spartan release ( though its heavily implied the Royal ANZ can use Britannian vessels, and I have a slightly modified Regent for them  :D ), and so I formulated an idea for the Free Australians. It seemed logical they would need carrier support even for mercenary operations, they would have access to large coal barges from the port of Newcastle, Australia - Yes, there is one - and finally it seemed to make a lot of sense for the Commonwealth to want to show a level of "Power Projection" into the Arafura sea and the western Pacific.