Author Topic: DW 3.0 Open Beta Discussion  (Read 16116 times)

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: DW 3.0 Open Beta Discussion
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2019, 05:29:36 am »
I find its necessary to save the comments if they are important, just in case.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2019, 09:43:40 am »
So we have an update from Warcradle with stat cards for the FSA/Americans and one that could be controversial with some faction bleed/very different vision of what the faction represents.  https://blog.warcradle.com/blog/2019/8/warcradle-studios-diary-1?fbclid=IwAR1VXbWyNVfoXcfukH9wFxYRBrw7GvfGdvO8HOZZ1cel8TFR4IShIYJytLg

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2019, 06:55:31 am »
 Another update that has some design work ( Even with the caveat that Richard and Stuart keep adding )  of interest for Japanese players - https://blog.warcradle.com/blog/2019/8/warcradle-studios-diary-4

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2019, 10:42:56 pm »
Thanks for posting!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2019, 06:30:11 am »
As people say elsewhere these are quite nice, emergent from the Spartan Japanese Battlecruiser, so feel like they will work more with Spartan models.  Negatives though with the larger turrets still looking odd, rather than like turrets that fire.  Just like a mortar?  Also all frigates shown so far have the exact same layout of turret and broadside, and similar problem very similar load outs on the other models.  I hope we get some sense of how flexible these models are soon.  On a more speculative note the render/sketch combination does this suggest a redraft or that things are close?

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2019, 02:57:30 am »
So production has begun?  Presumably then the Beta is over?  So we still have no idea how the list building will work.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2019, 01:18:52 pm »
Update from facebook

'Looks like v3 will be coming out early next year, with Crown and Union coming out first. Other forces will be coming out on a monthly basis with a battle force first, and then smaller ships available the following month.'

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2019, 02:18:27 am »

Seen the Crown ships that were on display; Imagine slightly squarer versions of Indian Raj, but with small discreet lions on them. Not entirely awful, not entirely unlike the originals; With the usual modern Warcradle caveat that just because they show us something doesn't mean they will release it :D

I still just don't like those rules - Soem good ideas, the totality however just feels like naval gaming shoehorned into a skirmish game, like playing a freeform LARP to D&D 5E, or BFG using Space Marine 2.0.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2019, 03:03:26 am »
Any pictures?  And any ideas if these are supposed to be part of the FSA vs. KoB starter box?

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2019, 01:58:05 am »
Any pictures?  And any ideas if these are supposed to be part of the FSA vs. KoB starter box?

Might be able to get a picture up later in the week, time, work and other chaos allowing.

No idea of the release plan at all. Sturginium Lounge at present seems to be full of converts to 3.0 saying how great it is, or people showing off minis. And saying how great 3.0 is.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2019, 04:18:09 am »
What a sudden and unexpected conversion.  Are these old hands who have seen the light or bold neophyte?  I thought the problem with the beta was not many people were playing, a lot of changes were cosmetic ie Warcradle renaming everything like a dictator in a small caucuses ex Soviet Republic and there not being enough factional variation so you couldn't use your fun units and everybody played these same.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2019, 11:11:53 am »
Sorry to double post but we have the new KoB sketches from Warcradle.  I really hate the new fluff, it really doesn't feel steampunk, and so utterly AHistorical it might as well be the land of Albion commanded by the immortal Elf Queen from Spenser, but that is just my opinion.  The Carrier isn't too bad, but the sky fortress shape is very odd and feels too organic to british or really to be Steampunk.  I don't like the overdesign on the drummer boy, the Chaplain is just off and seems poor taste.  The Nautilus crew really crosses a few lines for me in poor taste.  All the female models seem to have random high heels, far too cheesecakey and the Japanese Catwoman is just unpleasant culturally speaking as both stereotype, fetish appeal and seems a little too on the nose.  The mutant Thuggee seems again far too orientalist, too fantastical and makes no sense in a steampunk setting or in her Majesty's navy.  The new submarine is a mercenary ship, and fine as that, but as usual with Warcradle's designs feels impractical and unVictorian enough.  But I'm sure I'm just in a minority, and I'm sure I am so annoyed because I loved collecting the British which were my favourite fleet and Legions force. 

https://blog.warcradle.com/blog/2019/warcradle-studios-diary-10

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2019, 01:41:20 pm »

But I'm sure I'm just in a minority

The way Warcradle censor criiticism carefully monitor social media for negativity, I wouldn't be enitrely sure of that.

As for myself, I don't utterly hate this lot. There's a distinct Spartn indian Raj feel to the general shape of the other ships that we've seen ( YES, I'll try and get pictures . . ), and I can comfort myself that these might not even be finalised designs as they keep saying. That sub has a lot of original KoB feel, but as you say RuelBritannia, not quite enough. And that decoration on it . . . James mason would plotz if he saw it.
 I just don't like the background, the move towards a more skirmish game like mechanic, and the attitude of the company. Which is why i'm sticking to 2.5 and endeavouring to tidy up those rules. It worked with netEpic, it can work again.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:47:00 am by Covertwalrus »

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2019, 05:32:53 am »
The Order vessels are very odd.  The big one seems a mix of covenant, Turkish and screaming faces along with Raj turrets.  The smaller just seems like the Turkish destroyer but less fun.  But then I am not keen on postmodern energy aliens in a VSF setting, but it seems a bit late to be annoyed about that.

https://blog.warcradle.com/blog/2019/warcradle-studios-diary-12

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile