Author Topic: What do people actually want out of the new fluff?  (Read 4431 times)

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: What do people actually want out of the new fluff?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 07:26:19 pm »
How much fantasy can people take?

I can only answer for myself and those answers would be - Not a lot. Or if it's there, then there's a plausible rationale behind it and/or they way it operates in game and story.

How much grim dark?

As little as possible - it's called 'escapism' for a reason :)

Which perspective on the faction should be written, neutral 3rd party omniscient narrator, a positive spin from their own faction or a negative approach from a rival?  Should there by mysteries?

There's room for both forms of perspective as each write-up should include the viewpoint of events from each faction's side as well as a simple neutral historical narrative as well. Some mysteries are also welcome, as to create possible gaps fro future story-lines and scenarios without elaborate retconning.

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 02:49:36 pm »
How much fantasy can people take?

I can only answer for myself and those answers would be - Not a lot. Or if it's there, then there's a plausible rationale behind it and/or they way it operates in game and story.

How much grim dark?

As little as possible - it's called 'escapism' for a reason :)

Which perspective on the faction should be written, neutral 3rd party omniscient narrator, a positive spin from their own faction or a negative approach from a rival?  Should there by mysteries?

There's room for both forms of perspective as each write-up should include the viewpoint of events from each faction's side as well as a simple neutral historical narrative as well. Some mysteries are also welcome, as to create possible gaps fro future story-lines and scenarios without elaborate retconning.

I agree
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 05:58:02 pm »
Seriously, thanks folks.  This has been immensely helpful, just with thinking about the kind of narrative fluff should take.  Really good natured and thoughtful, a lot aligns with my existing thoughts, but others really develops depth.

erloas

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 12:51:28 am »
I think there should be some things written from the perspective of every faction, which would include their friendly and not so friendly take on allies as well as what they don't like and fear and respect of their adversaries. 
No *other companies* this is the only side that actually matters and the whole universe is all about them and that's it.

For Fantasy I would say it depends on what kind.  It is a fairly ambiguously defined and used term.  Fantasy as in magic and supernatural?  Not so much, this always felt like a story centered around humans and their strengths and weaknesses.  What the unobtainium of choice can do is a lot more open.  Steampunk by its very nature is rooted in fantasy.

I've given my take on grim-dark.

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 06:30:41 pm »
I need enough to know how each faction perceives the world at the macro level, where the flashpoints are in the world, who are allies, who are enemies, and how a force should be organized by said faction. 

After that, I prefer it to be rather ambiguous with pletny of room for me to sketch in the details and characters I need for my games to work. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 03:39:53 am »
I need enough to know how each faction perceives the world at the macro level, where the flashpoints are in the world, who are allies, who are enemies, and how a force should be organized by said faction. 

After that, I prefer it to be rather ambiguous with pletny of room for me to sketch in the details and characters I need for my games to work.

Sounds like the Full Thrust background to some extent :)  In it's last incarnation at least :)

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 06:29:52 am »
I hope people forgive the necromancy, but which factions, groups, technologies, ships etc. Do people want to read fluff about?

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 02:38:41 pm »

No problem with the revival, it's good question :)

Short answer - Some details on technology and the history of it's development in the context of the game would be good though not vital ( As another rules set said "You don't as a commander need to know all the specification of your equipment, you pay sergeants for that" ), and as for the rest, lots of info about how each faction sees the situation and how they would react to political situations in a military fashion - in other words, an overview of what sort of scenarios would arise from their plans, aims and requirements. For example, the old Covenant was dedicated to reducing the war-making capacity of the other forces, and disarmament in general; This led to the manner in which they could be played.